Wyoming elk outfitter recomendations

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
A friend and I are looking into a guided elk hunt and are looking for recommendations. We discussed the thorofare and some other options. we now have one point and know we will have at least two years to wait to get into a good outfitter. Any advice or recommendations? Any small outfits that are doing a good hunt? or should we just book with one of the big well known outfitters? Any help is appreciated.

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of hunt are you looking for? High country horseback or lower country private ranch?

Steven C

FNG
Interested as well. I’m only looking at the Thorofare. I’ve read everything on here that I can find. Just wondering what everyone thinks after this season.

OP
J

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
Longrifle we haven't decided on any specifics yet. We both feel that a high country hunt would be awesome but as we returned from a private ranch mule deer hunt a couple weeks ago we know that style hunt can be challenging and very rewarding as well. Guess we are just wanting a good first hand recommendation, so we can start narrowing down our choices.

I'm thinking thorofare would be close to the top for us but I'm 54 at this time the longer we wait for an opening and points the more chance of my youth starting to catch up with me is possible and my body start refusing what I put it through LOL. We are both in decent shape at this time riding bike and running occasionally.

TN VOL77

FNG
My son and I are looking at doing a Thorofare hunt currently..many outfitters are booked for the next 2-4 years out..

OMB

WKR
Longrifle we haven't decided on any specifics yet. We both feel that a high country hunt would be awesome but as we returned from a private ranch mule deer hunt a couple weeks ago we know that style hunt can be challenging and very rewarding as well. Guess we are just wanting a good first hand recommendation, so we can start narrowing down our choices.

I'm thinking thorofare would be close to the top for us but I'm 54 at this time the longer we wait for an opening and points the more chance of my youth starting to catch up with me is possible and my body start refusing what I put it through LOL. We are both in decent shape at this time riding bike and running occasionally.
I'd really recommend just getting a Huntin Fool or Epic membership and calling those guys for recs to start narrowing it down. I planned a mule deer trip with my dad a few years ago and basically gave HF our budget and what we were hoping to accomplish along with what we had for points and I had roughly a dozen outfitters spread across 3 states to start dialing in on. Did the same thing with a Dall sheep hunt and it really helped focus what to look for. Forums are a great resource but those guys do it every day and if nothing else, make you actually re-prioritize things you hadn't thought of.

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider

If that's the area you're interested in, the options for outfitters are more limited and easier to decide on one. If you're looking for a wilderness hunt, that's a great one. I think there are other great horseback hunts that you could get into sooner with fewer points. If trophy potential and moderate terrain are more desirable, a ranch hunt is definitely the way to go. Quick Tip though, any outfit advertising in the Wyoming Guides and Outfitters catalog or tag app services will be the highest priced. My personal opinion is that the best outfits are the low key, least advertised outfits. They seem to stay booked because of repeat clients, and that speaks volumes to me. The ranch hunts are going to be expensive, but you probably get what you pay for. The wilderness/NF hunts are tougher and a little less expensive. If you are interested in the latter, I can get you in touch with someone who can help you decide.

OP
J

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
Lonrifle I'm definitely interested in any information you can pass along to us. Thanks for your help

If that's the area you're interested in, the options for outfitters are more limited and easier to decide on one. If you're looking for a wilderness hunt, that's a great one. I think there are other great horseback hunts that you could get into sooner with fewer points. If trophy potential and moderate terrain are more desirable, a ranch hunt is definitely the way to go. Quick Tip though, any outfit advertising in the Wyoming Guides and Outfitters catalog or tag app services will be the highest priced. My personal opinion is that the best outfits are the low key, least advertised outfits. They seem to stay booked because of repeat clients, and that speaks volumes to me. The ranch hunts are going to be expensive, but you probably get what you pay for. The wilderness/NF hunts are tougher and a little less expensive. If you are interested in the latter, I can get you in touch with someone who can help you decide.
Lonrifle - I'm in this same place and would appreciate contact information for the wilderness/NF hunts if you are willing to share privately.

Thank you.

Clrems77

WKR
I spoke to many who have hunted Wyoming over the past several years as I built up some points. I ended up booking with Rough Country outfitters for their early season archery in September this year. Very very nice guys and the people who have hunted with them said the outfit is first class and the family who owns and runs the business are nothing shy of great. Keeping my fingers crossed we get into some big bulls,, then I’ll have a story to share with you from a first hand account.

NE1022

FNG
I'll be listening for that first hand account. Been acquiring WY points and its getting time to make it happen.

I spoke to many who have hunted Wyoming over the past several years as I built up some points. I ended up booking with Rough Country outfitters for their early season archery in September this year. Very very nice guys and the people who have hunted with them said the outfit is first class and the family who owns and runs the business are nothing shy of great. Keeping my fingers crossed we get into some big bulls,, then I’ll have a story to share with you from a first hand account.
I also am interested in this outfitter. How did your hunt turnout?
We’re you satisfied with the outfitter and were you successful?

How many Points did you have to go with Rough Country? I have a local guy I know that hunted Rifle Elk with them 3-4 years ago and had a great experience. I am planning on hunting Wyoming next year and like these others, I am interested in going with outfitter. I will have 8 points for next years draw. Thanks

I've been emailing with Nick Trizano with Constant Quest in NW WY since last fall. He's been extremely forthcoming and responsive to my inquiries. I have 1 point right now and will buy another this fall. He told me they have a couple openings for '25 and '26, and the earliest I could probably draw would be '26 since I only have 1 point.

https://www.cqoutfitters.com/

I would also recommend talking to @Indian Summer here on Rockslide. He provides hunt plans for DIY hunters and also books outfitted for a couple outfits.

Clrems77

WKR
How many Points did you have to go with Rough Country? I have a local guy I know that hunted Rifle Elk with them 3-4 years ago and had a great experience. I am planning on hunting Wyoming next year and like these others, I am interested in going with outfitter. I will have 8 points for next years draw. Thanks
I was able to book with 4 points. According to the outfitter, 3 is possibly do-able with 4 pretty much a shoe in.
I have nothing but good things to say about the entire experience. From the lodging, to the meals, guides and ultimately the hunting, everything was top notch. I would not hesitate to hunt with them again. If you want to talk details, send me your info and we can talk over the phone.

Clrems77

WKR
I also am interested in this outfitter. How did your hunt turnout?
We’re you satisfied with the outfitter and were you successful?
Hunt turned out excellent. As listed in the post above, everything was first class. As far as the hunting went, I tagged out first day, 2 the second day (A third could have tagged out but missed), and 1 the third day. Unfortunately the last guy in our group was holding out for a monster that never showed back up so he did not fill his tag. Field dressing, meat pack out etc were all done as a team making it extremely easy. A meat processor was close by in town for the processing as well. All in all I was very happy with my experience.

I was able to book with 4 points. According to the outfitter, 3 is possibly do-able with 4 pretty much a shoe in.
I have nothing but good things to say about the entire experience. From the lodging, to the meals, guides and ultimately the hunting, everything was top notch. I would not hesitate to hunt with them again. If you want to talk details, send me your info and we can talk over the phone.
Yeah I would appreciate that. I cant get PM to work if you could shoot me a message i’ll give ya my cell. Thanks

My father and I went into the Bridger-Tetons in back in 2002 with Two Ocean Pass Outfitters. It was a very memorable hunt. We saw elk every day and rode horses between 5 and 10 miles each day. There are several outfitters that my father has been with over the years since (Heart Six, Bald Mountain, Hidden Creek). His best opportunity for a giant bull was with Trails West Outfitters. This year we booked with Table Mountain Outfitters unit #7. I think if your looking for a wilderness horseback elk hunt with the real western style experience the Bridger Teton area is hard to beat. But for elk trophies you need to get a unit 61 elk tag for the Grey Bull river area.