Wyoming Elk Outfitter Recommendations

jragsdal

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Roksliders,

My hunting partner and I are looking into booking a rifle elk hunt for 2021 in Wyoming. We would go into the draw next year with 2 points each and plan to put in for the special to help our chances of drawing the general tag.
We are looking at outfitters in the Jackson Hole area.
We are looking for a true western horseback hunt in one of the wilderness areas.
I have my eye on a few different outfitters but I would love to hear any opinions that you fine folks may have.

Thank you!

OP
J

jragsdal

Lil-Rokslider
10-4.
Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
2 points in the special would have guaranteed you a tag this year. Next year, who knows. There is always going to be some creep, how much is a crap shoot. Don’t let the downers get you down. A whole lot of people “just knew” 3 points wouldn’t be enough in the regular draw this year. . . . Well guess what? 3 points was 100%.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I hunted out near Wilson last year which is very close to Jackson. My two friends and myself got tags with 1 1/2 points. I believe it was 3rd rifle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted mule deer in G last year and there were guys in camp hunting elk with a bow in G and then rifle in H. i would have to look at a map to figure out which general elk unit it is. Guys were seeing a lot of elk and the hunt coincided with the rut. I personally saw a 330 bull on the G side but it seems the expectations for that area are 260-300.
Outfitter was Tre Heiner (Double Diamond Outfitters)
he operates in some other areas and kills some monsters but I think those are max pts hunts

OP
J

jragsdal

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info guys!

tntrker

WKR
BTW, I wasn't being a downer, I had a group of 4 friends with 3 & 2 points last year that failed to draw a general around Jackson Hole . They all drew this year after another point each. Good Luck!!

fatlander

WKR
BTW, I wasn't being a downer, I had a group of 4 friends with 3 & 2 points last year that failed to draw a general around Jackson Hole . They all drew this year after another point each. Good Luck!!

I’m not calling you or your friends a liar but per Wyoming G and F, they should have drawn if they applied as a party in the regular draw. If they didn’t apply as a party, your 3 point friends should have drawn. And they most definitely would all have drawn in the special regardless if they applied together or not.

2019 Regular Draw for General Tag:
3 points 100%
Less than 3 points - 100%
2 points 27.16%

2019 Special Draw for General Tag:
3 points 100%
2 points 100%
Less than 2 points 100%
1 point 17.56%

PA Archer

FNG
Call up Dustin Child at Trophy Mountain Outfitters. Bridger Teton Wilderness area, horseback, wall tents, all the good stuff of a classic backcountry elk hunt. Good numbers on the animals plus all your other fun western stuff (wolves, grizz, lions). Check out their website

nextbasin

FNG
Hello Roksliders,

My hunting partner and I are looking into booking a rifle elk hunt for 2021 in Wyoming. We would go into the draw next year with 2 points each and plan to put in for the special to help our chances of drawing the general tag.
We are looking at outfitters in the Jackson Hole area.
We are looking for a true western horseback hunt in one of the wilderness areas.
I have my eye on a few different outfitters but I would love to hear any opinions that you fine folks may have.

Thank you!
Hi Jragsdal,
Were you able to draw a tag? We operate Gros Ventre Wilderness Outfitters (grosventreoutfitter.com) if you haven't already selected an outfitter. Wilderness camp, good horses (we own all and do not rent), 90+% return clientele, and we may have an opening in '21 or '22.

HOT ROD

WKR
fatlander how was 3 points %100 draw odds in the regular draw for a general tag in 2021? Maybe 3.5 points where %100 percent....

fatlander

WKR
fatlander how was 3 points %100 draw odds in the regular draw for a general tag in 2021? Maybe 3.5 points where %100 percent....

It wasn’t. Read the dates on the posts... this thread is 1 year old.

Last edited:
I hunted mule deer in G last year and there were guys in camp hunting elk with a bow in G and then rifle in H. i would have to look at a map to figure out which general elk unit it is. Guys were seeing a lot of elk and the hunt coincided with the rut. I personally saw a 330 bull on the G side but it seems the expectations for that area are 260-300.
Outfitter was Tre Heiner (Double Diamond Outfitters)
he operates in some other areas and kills some monsters but I think those are max pts hunts
Im headed out there this OCt for mulies with him. would love to chat with you and your experience with him and your hunt and overall satisfaction.