Wyoming Elk Questions

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys just a few questions about Wyoming Elk hunting from anyone that has experience.

I have done a ton of research and I anticipate I’ll draw general in the special draw this coming year. I have a plan A-F on what units I’ll hunt I’m just curious about others experiences.

1. The more remote units that are grizzly heavy. Are the elk more quiet and timid? I have hunted Montana primarily and in the wolf and bear areas in the western part the elk don’t seem to be as responsive.

2. Is Hunter pressure less in these more remote grizzly areas. (Not talking about wilderness I know I can’t hunt there) I have two units picked out I may want to get started in one is remote and grizzly heavy the other is not a grizzly heavy unit but seems it could have higher hunter pressure.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

It’s easier to out hunt other people than it is to deal with the inconveniences of hunting in grizzly country.

My two cents here....

1) I think wolves hush up elk, but doubt that grizzlies really do.

2) following the response above, it seems that yes, all other things being equal, less people will want to hunt around bears than not.

OP
Hookhunter75

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
It’s easier to out hunt other people than it is to deal with the inconveniences of hunting in grizzly country.
So your preference is not to hunt in those units? My buddy and I are hunting together on this trip. We have been doing our own research and comparing. The units he has picked are pretty similar statistically to mine but the grizzly factor is the difference.

My only hesitation is that I have hunted in CO before on OTC tag and see what a nightmare that can be. But I also realize otc CO and General WY are two different animals. Just trying to give us best opportunity.

tdhanses

WKR
Something I’ve noticed in my short time hunting WY, tons of road hunters later in the season with few boots on ground hunters compared to CO.

It isn’t Colorado. You can leave the other hunters behind easy enough. This year I killed my 10th straight all in general units with no grizzlies. I can go a little further to be alone and sometimes I do but it’s not necessary. We’ve killed them literally 5 minutes to a half mile from base camp. We’ve glassed 6 point bulls from camp.

Don’t mean to derail things but with the WY general tag, is the best way to maximize opportunity to apply for the general rifle and then pick up an applicable archery tag? Does a certain archery tag (limited quota, type 9 or general) always apply to the general tag?

OP
Hookhunter75

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t mean to derail things but with the WY general tag, is the best way to maximize opportunity to apply for the general rifle and then pick up an applicable archery tag? Does a certain archery tag (limited quota, type 9 or general) always apply to the general tag?
My understanding and I’m sure any WY resident could tell you better is that a General Tag is good for archery or rifle in any of the general units. Except for type 9

Hey guys just a few questions about Wyoming Elk hunting from anyone that has experience.

I have done a ton of research and I anticipate I’ll draw general in the special draw this coming year. I have a plan A-F on what units I’ll hunt I’m just curious about others experiences.

1. The more remote units that are grizzly heavy. Are the elk more quiet and timid? I have hunted Montana primarily and in the wolf and bear areas in the western part the elk don’t seem to be as responsive.

2. Is Hunter pressure less in these more remote grizzly areas. (Not talking about wilderness I know I can’t hunt there) I have two units picked out I may want to get started in one is remote and grizzly heavy the other is not a grizzly heavy unit but seems it could have higher hunter pressure.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

So how did the hunt go?