Wyoming elk questions

Last year mule deer hunting I got pictures of two big bulls. I live close by so this year I applied for a type 1 elk tag for the area, my first time applying, and actually got it! I plan on doing plenty of scouting out there over the summer and hunting all season if I have to. I'm a new hunter and learning as I go. My question is, how likely is it for those bulls to be in the same area this year? Can I expect to find them reasonably close or should I broaden my search area? There was a water source near by but I'm worried about hunting pressure pushing them out. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Clayniss

FNG
Haha if only it were that easy. Man I hate to break it to you but trail camera pictures don't mean a heck of a lot. I've gotten pictures of nice bulls all summer only to have them disappear come archery season. With that said, it's fun putting them up, checking them and it gets you in the woods. Trail cameras might get you a good starting point but elk have a large range and can move a considerable amount so I wouldn't put too much weight on photos. Best of luck.

mntnguide

WKR
If they survived season last year... wouldn't surprise me if you could locate them in relatively the same area, but i don't treat bulls like muleys when it comes to returning to a spot every summer. I watched a buck grow from 180 to 220 over 3 summers. I knew exactly where to look on what date in August and he would be there. I don't feel it's the same with elk. Elk move to much unlike a muley. Especially hunting in wolf/grizzly country. But, if you saw elk there, it's a great place to keep in mind and check out, cause there is a reason those bulls were there and most likely you'll find elk again there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
I’ve found that elk herds tend to do the same thing every year. The lead cow know where they can go and be safe when pressure comes it’s generally same thing they do every year. Bulls also tend to go to the same area once they break off. Doesn’t mean either will be standing by the same rock but probably in the general area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
You didn't state what time of season you spotted them. I agree with others. Within a time period, elk have a routine. But that routine can be part of a 5-10 day "home" area which can cover 10-50 sq miles. When I hear 2 bulls, I think pre rut or post rut. If pre rut, they likely won't stay put for long. Hormones will soon have them looking for girlfriends and covering ground. Post rut, they are looking for security with food nearby. They might not move far. If this is a good place, they might be back in same time of year. But think about why they were there and look for other places with same food/security "recipe".

LostArra

WKR
What hasn't been mentioned is that bull elk know what tags you're carrying.
Your mule deer tag was no threat.
I've had numerous up close encounters with big bulls while holding a cow tag.

That said I would still give that area a close look during the season. I wouldn't chase them out just for the sake of scouting.

Returning to that area makes more sense than going to a spot where you have never seen an elk.

There is a spring that I put a trail camera on. I have found the same bulls use it year after year. One of the bulls has an antler that comes from the middle of his forehead so he is easy to identify. He's been on that camera every year since 2018 from July to August. However, he is a bigger bull and disappears during September. I think elk like certain spots and will return there often but that doesn't mean they don't roam and spend time in other places.

What hasn't been mentioned is that bull elk know what tags you're carrying.
Your mule deer tag was no threat.
I've had numerous up close encounters with big bulls while holding a cow tag.

That said I would still give that area a close look during the season. I wouldn't chase them out just for the sake of scouting.

Returning to that area makes more sense than going to a spot where you have never seen an elk.
I am 100% certain that animals know what tag you have. Lol pisses me off.

OP
WyomingBen
What time of year did you find them? (Month/week?). That will help answer the question.

Love to see the pics too!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ya I should have mentioned what time of year it was. Slipped my mind. It was mid October. I actually was sitting on a ridgeline glassing for mule deer and saw him. It's kinda hard to see but he's right there in the shade of that big pine in the center. I had to hold my phone up to my binos to get the picture. Haha. Which was not easy. Zoom in and you can see his rack above the grass.20211017_143634.jpg

OP
WyomingBen
Thanks everyone for the replies. Lots of good advice and things to think on. I'm definitely gonna check the area.

Jaquomo

WKR
Bulls do sometimes return to the same area year after year for the rut, unless they get totally blown out. I've killed a couple mature bulls that I recognized from the year before (or had cam shots of..) from distinctive antlers. My hunting partner once shot a big bull on a steep downhill quartering away shot. Arrow disappeared and we thought it was a slam dunk. Nope. The next season he killed that bull 150 yards from where he shot it previously. The first arrow had slid along the top of the spine, never entered the body cavity, and we recovered the broadhead up by the shoulder blade. So yeah, they might return, or they might not.

Mojave

WKR
Last year mule deer hunting I got pictures of two big bulls. I live close by so this year I applied for a type 1 elk tag for the area, my first time applying, and actually got it! I plan on doing plenty of scouting out there over the summer and hunting all season if I have to. I'm a new hunter and learning as I go. My question is, how likely is it for those bulls to be in the same area this year? Can I expect to find them reasonably close or should I broaden my search area? There was a water source near by but I'm worried about hunting pressure pushing them out. Thanks everyone.
Crap in one hand and wish in the other. Hunt it smart and you should be fine.