Wyoming elk surveys?

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I hunted elk in 2021 with my dad in a limited unit. My dad got a survey card to fill out in the mail. I did not. Does wyoming survey everyone who hunts a limited entry unit? Did I miss an email or something? Or is it somewhat a random survey in Wyoming? Thanks.

Laramie

WKR
Wyoming sends out surveys to a percentage of hunters. Then they take the results from that percentage and multiply it to come up with estimated stats. For example, they may send surveys to 50% and receive responses from half of those hunters meaning they got responses from 25% of people who held that tag. They then take their responses x 4 to come up with total harvest. That is one reason people need to view success rates for what they are - a guess. For some very LQ tags, they will survey everyone but that isn't the norm and there is no penalty for not responding or for responding with inaccurate info.

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming sends out surveys to a percentage of hunters. Then they take the results from that percentage and multiply it to come up with estimated stats. For example, they may send surveys to 50% and receive responses from half of those hunters meaning they got responses from 25% of people who held that tag. They then take their responses x 4 to come up with total harvest. That is one reason people need to view success rates for what they are - a guess. For some very LQ tags, they will survey everyone but that isn't the norm and there is no penalty for not responding or for responding with inaccurate info.
I guess I’m an idiot, i thought they got success rates from registration….

LostArra

WKR
Pardon the interruption but is Wyoming still sending out tooth boxes for aging?
I haven't received one in quite a while.

Laramie

WKR
Pardon the interruption but is Wyoming still sending out tooth boxes for aging?
I haven't received one in quite a while.
I'm not sure if they are sending out the free ones but I believe you can still pay for one if you want. Last I saw they were around $30.

BuzzH

WKR
Depends on the area...my nephew got a box to send a tooth sample in for aging this past fall.

Rossi

Lil-Rokslider
I usually include a tooth with my CWD sample and they have aged them for free. Aging results are out Feb/Mar generally.