Wyoming Elk unit 62 or unit 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, we are sitting this year with 14 points (1 < max.) in Wyoming, and doing our research to potentially put in this year for an elk tag. We've narrowed down to at least unit 24 (Green Mtn) and unit 62. This will be a DIY hunt, and we are leaning towards archery hunting, but would consider rifle as well. We've done several backpack elk hunts in Idaho and Montana, and consider ourselves in decent shape. Anyone have any recent (last 5 years) experience in either of these units they are willing to share? What has been your archery or rifle hunt experiences? Access? Hunting pressure? Other tips or knowledge about these draw units? I realize there probably isn't anyone with experience in both units due to the draw positions, so we'll have to compile notes on each. Feel free to PM.

Other suggestions welcome as well!

Kstitz

FNG
I know nothing about 24 but I hunted 62 in 2017 and I would give anything to hunt that unit again!

Hey, we are sitting this year with 14 points (1 < max.) in Wyoming, and doing our research to potentially put in this year for an elk tag. We've narrowed down to at least unit 24 (Green Mtn) and unit 62. This will be a DIY hunt, and we are leaning towards archery hunting, but would consider rifle as well. We've done several backpack elk hunts in Idaho and Montana, and consider ourselves in decent shape. Anyone have any recent (last 5 years) experience in either of these units they are willing to share? What has been your archery or rifle hunt experiences? Access? Hunting pressure? Other tips or knowledge about these draw units? I realize there probably isn't anyone with experience in both units due to the draw positions, so we'll have to compile notes on each. Feel free to PM.

Other suggestions welcome as well!

62 is great, I have hunted it many times. Big bulls, great during archery since a lot of people wait for rifle. Rifle is great later part of season. Opening day can be pressured but archery usually isn't. We have killed bulls all over in that unit. Deer creek, gwynn fork, dick creek lakes can be good. Kay creek as well. Lots of Grizzlies. Good luck!

OP
E
Yes, after a little research, we put in for unit 62, seems no brainer over 24. Thanks for the feedback. As a NR, this might be one of my only opportunities to hit this unit. Looking forward to it, but keeping our fingers crossed we draw. Some guys saying you need horses to hunt this unit? Horses are always ideal I guess. My buddy and I are in good condition, and have done several back-pack hunts. Upon my e-scouting looks very foot pack huntable for sure. What advise might you have for pack hunting? Bears and all. Water an issue if packing in? Or is there "good" hunting from a basecamp trialhead, archery season? I prefer camping back in a few miles however, vs. long morning hikes. But not hunted much in grizz country. Leaning towards the archery hunt, and then double back late rifle if we don't tag any with the bow. Feel free to PM, willing to share back out hunt intel if it happens.

I am clueless on how to even read a pm. I am trying to find it on here, in the forums and stuff but I can't. I just see it shows, u sent me a pm.

jaeger63

FNG
I
Ok, did u email me? If so I may have accidentally deleted it. Probably went to junk mail
No I did not email you directly. I sent you a PM and then the public post letting you know that I sent you a PM. I posted my email address in the above post . I do wish PM's were a little more user friendly on this site. LOL!

wweaver

FNG
62 all day, Archery pressure will be minimal and rifle starts on oct 1 of you do not get done w a bow.

Tom E

FNG
62 is great, I have hunted it many times. Big bulls, great during archery since a lot of people wait for rifle. Rifle is great later part of season. Opening day can be pressured but archery usually isn't. We have killed bulls all over in that unit. Deer creek, gwynn fork, dick creek lakes can be good. Kay creek as well. Lots of Grizzlies. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.