Wyoming Elk unit 96

Bluwysx2

FNG
I’m a first time Elk hunter in Wyoming nd drew a tag in unit 96. I know I can’t hunt Bridger without an outfitter and really count afford one anyways. There are areas that I could hunt without a resident guide but it would be nice to have someone local that could team up with for bear watch etc.just checking to see if some one in the Pinedale area would be interested.

Aortiz99

FNG
I realize your post is over a year old but just curious as to how your hunt went. I actually hunted Unit 96 last year as well. I was there from about Oct. 1 -5th. It was my first elk hunt. I was unsuccessful, but learned a hell of a lot. Amazing country and amazing experience all around. Based on my experience I can't possibly imagine anyone being successful without hunting Bridger, but I don't know what it's like much later in the season. Also curious if it was a unit you'd go back and hunt again.

rodney482

WKR
W/O being able to hunt the wilderness area of 96 I dont think I would hunt it.

I am also wondering how you did.

My fav photo from 96

F3B329E3-0A22-4DA9-B667-54ABDC767AFC.jpeg

Aortiz99

FNG
W/O being able to hunt the wilderness area of 96 I dont think I would hunt it.

I am also wondering how you did.

My fav photo from 96

View attachment 480513
100% agree not worth hunting without being able to hunt wilderness. Not a lot of information out there on Unit 96 and the local outfitter was all booked up and hesitant to share much information (not that I blame them) so I did it 100% DIY. One day I'll go back and hunt that unit and be so much better prepared! And if you don't take horses make sure you're in incredible shape! I ruined the best photo I had of the landscape there by making it a selfie, but here's another one of my favorite photos from unit 96:

Attachments

• IMG_2821.jpg
    IMG_2821.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 37

rodney482

WKR
100% agree not worth hunting without being able to hunt wilderness. Not a lot of information out there on Unit 96 and the local outfitter was all booked up and hesitant to share much information (not that I blame them) so I did it 100% DIY. One day I'll go back and hunt that unit and be so much better prepared! And if you don't take horses make sure you're in incredible shape! I ruined the best photo I had of the landscape there by making it a selfie, but here's another one of my favorite photos from unit 96:
Is that Glimpse Lk?

Aortiz99

FNG
I know that area well. Better rifle area than archery and better late season
It does seem like it would be a tough area for archery. I could have used you on my hunt! Did you have access to horses when you hunted the unit? I hiked in and it took about 4-5 hours and I went up about 2,000+ ft of elevation. Would've been a brutal hike out if I had been successful!

rodney482

WKR
It does seem like it would be a tough area for archery. I could have used you on my hunt! Did you have access to horses when you hunted the unit? I hiked in and it took about 4-5 hours and I went up about 2,000+ ft of elevation. Would've been a brutal hike out if I had been successful!
Backpack hunted it.
One of my best friends lives in Pinedale.

Aortiz99

FNG
I take it you were successful in your hunt? Always nice to have good friends who live near great hunting units! My friend from Jackson accompanied me, which is the only reason I was able to hunt wilderness.