Wyoming Family Hunt

lif

WKR
Long story short is my family has struck out on tags in the west so far. My wife and two kids, 13 year old son and 12 year old daughter, will average 1.33 deer points in Wyoming. I’m hoping to get them somewhere that they just have a chance to shoot a deer. I don’t care if it’s Mulies or whitetail, Nor do I care if they all shoot 2 year old deer. I need a place that just has opportunity for the less experienced. My wife has has been hunting for five years now and harvested a handful of animals. My son has taken 4 bucks already. But my daughter is heading out for her first hunt. We are all capable of hiking some. My daughter can do a couple miles. The rest of us can go pretty well. I will not be hunting myself unless it’s necessary to use my 6 points to get them where they need to be. I know it’s late in this process, but any help would be appreciated. Please PM if you want to get specific. I’m not real big on putting details of areas on the public forum. Thanks.

JMDavies

WKR
Have you considered Wyoming antelope? Tags are typically easy to get and often are OTC when extra tags are available.

OP
L

lif

WKR
We did that last year. It is still an option but we’re looking for a deer hunt first

Rich M

WKR
Sounds like you need to spend some time on the WY hunt planner website. An hour or two and you'll find that there are some general areas you can draw easy w 50% success rates.

OP
L

lif

WKR
Sounds like you need to spend some time on the WY hunt planner website. An hour or two and you'll find that there are some general areas you can draw easy w 50% success rates.
Lol. I understand the draw odds just fine. I was hoping a nice person might just give a guy some advice on a family friendly region that might give a couple kids and their mom a chance to see some deer. As I stated, a couple young deer would work Just fine for our experience. Not trying to steal your secret spot.

wytx

WKR
Have you considered Wyoming antelope? Tags are typically easy to get and often are OTC when extra tags are available.
Not many areas with leftovers after the last draw, OTC is hard to find on anything for NR in Wyoming.
pm sent

JRMiller

WKR
Usually plenty of whitetail leftover tags after the draw. Most are on or very near private so you really have to scour maps and/or knock on doors to get good access.
There are some WIA that are pretty good though as long as you a scout day or two before the opener and then be your in your spot before sunrise of the opener ready to go

Are you heart-set on WY? Because for a great muley hunt that checks all the boxes you've mentioned, I'd strongly consider going OTC in MT. The eastern part of the state has some fantastic hunting, and is great for newer hunters. If you're willing to hike even a mile or 2, there's great areas and tons of deer. It should be no problem for everyone to fill their tags, and have chances at decent 4 points.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Dcoryn

FNG
Are you heart-set on WY? Because for a great muley hunt that checks all the boxes you've mentioned, I'd strongly consider going OTC in MT. The eastern part of the state has some fantastic hunting, and is great for newer hunters. If you're willing to hike even a mile or 2, there's great areas and tons of deer. It should be no problem for everyone to fill their tags, and have chances at decent 4 points.

There's no such thing as OTC buck tags for non-residents in montana...

There's no such thing as OTC buck tags for non-residents in montana...
Excuse me, you're correct. Among my hunting buddies from out of state we've always referred to general deer/elk as OTC in MT because the draw odds were 100% up untill the last year or two. I'm not sure exactly where the deer odds were at specifically last season, but I know they are darn close to 100% with the purchase of a preference point.

OP
L

lif

WKR
I believe my kids are otc with a tag holder.

If your interested, check out the areas in the Missouri breaks. Gorgeous country, tons of public land, and lots of good deer. Any harvest statistic info should tell you everything you need to know to choose an area to focus. Lots of old 2 track roads for access, although you have to be a bit careful out there. If there's a lot of moisture, those roads can get real sticky. Use the roadless layer in Onx or something similar to find some big draws systems without roads, hike a little and use the glass a lot.

OP
L

lif

WKR
Thanks guys. I Appreciate all the help. I put them in for a Wyoming hunt. We did Montana two years ago. And I think we’ll hit it up again next year. Thanks to everyone for the input.