Wyoming feed ground elimination

See link to learn about the proposal.

Click on this link to send your comments.

Wyoming offers some of the best public land elk hunting in the country. There is a reason for that. Feed grounds. It’s also the reason why we don’t see massive winterkill like we did with mule deer and antelope this past season.

In my opinion, the reasons for discontinuing the feed ground program are not legitimate. The rate of CWD in Western Wyoming is a minuscule. So is brucellosis. And with regards to elk vehicle collisions, I would rather slow down or go get an estimate on vehicle repairs, than to see such a healthy elk population go down the tubes. That reasoning is about his weak as it gets.

To me, this is another example of modern man fixing something that isn’t broken. We need to leave well enough alone. The elk feed ground program is an historic thing that has proven to yield nothing but positive results. The elk in areas with feedlots do not need any help. Sometimes humans make mistakes they can’t fix. Like wolves. It’s easy to reduce big game populations. Not so easy to restore them.

Please take a few minutes and send your public comments. There are only a few days left to comment.

gman82001

WKR
It’s the fed man they don’t want you out shooting animals and providing for yourself. They want you reliant on them for everything.

^^^^^ totally agree all part of the plan

OP
Indian Summer
If that is your opinion then sure bait it as a comment. Please. For the record I totally agree.

Let me get this straight, you want to quit supplementing elk during the winter which will mean higher mortality rates and you are doing this to avoid higher mortality rates from CWD, which so far hasn’t had any effect. Surely you are shitting me, right?

Comment!

Aplonsky

FNG
Classified Approved
Thanks for sharing this - submitting a comment now. I only read the executive summary but it’s awful interesting that their modeling starts with a 1.6% CWD prevalence rate when WYGF data shows zero positive elk samples in these areas.

If disease transmission is a real concern they should start by shutting down feeding at the NER (where CWD has actually been detected in elk) so those thousands of elk stop swapping spit. But I suppose it’s probably easier to deal with angry ranchers and hunters than hoards of rich tourists who were looking forward to their annual sleigh ride at the Jackson petting zoo…