Wyoming General Elk Draw Odds - Fair warning to rookies

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Would it be a good thing if MT and Wyoming did away with general season tags for nonresidents? And went weapon specific for archery OR rifle, not both. Just curious what others think about that…
At some point it will head there and residents likely won't be immune from it either. We have heard discussions for limitations on regions for residents as well in regards to deer.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
Corrected
I disagree. It already takes a long term commitment to hunt bull elk. Even if point creep stays static at .5 per year, someone just starting will be waiting about 8 years to draw a general in the regular draw or 6-7 years in the special. Cow tags in good public access areas aren't as easy as they once were. The area I hunt was just over a 20% chance of drawing this year. Yes, there are easier draws but access becomes an issue with the majority of them. The bottom line is to hunt elk on public land a person is going to have to be willing to wait unless they get lucky in the random.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not here to rub it in, just to understand. I drew this tag with zero points, 4 people on our application. First time I’ve ever applied. It showed 9% odds in Go Hunt but based on the applicant numbers posted here it looks like odds were actually even lower. I saw someone saying this may be a 5-10 point hunt into the future so I’m guessing I won’t get to go again for a long time.

I also drew New Mexico unit 51 too, first time ever trying, supposedly that was 6.9% odds.

I think I need to go buy a power ball ticket? Never won anything like this before.

ef5322300bf0438259f757d3e576b7d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j_volt

WKR
I’m not here to rub it in, just to understand. I drew this tag with zero points, 4 people on our application. First time I’ve ever applied. It showed 9% odds in Go Hunt but based on the applicant numbers posted here it looks like odds were actually even lower. I saw someone saying this may be a 5-10 point hunt into the future so I’m guessing I won’t get to go again for a long time.

I also drew New Mexico unit 51 too, first time ever trying, supposedly that was 6.9% odds.

I think I need to go buy a power ball ticket? Never won anything like this before.

7.8% odds in the random for a general tag in the regular draw. Yes, buy the lottery ticket, but this also goes to show that applying is always a great idea (I am hoping my wife reads this).

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR

Congrats! That is the nice aspect to Wyoming's system for deer, elk, and antelope. Occasionally a guy just gets lucky.

Archer86

WKR
Would it be a good thing if MT and Wyoming did away with general season tags for nonresidents? And went weapon specific for archery OR rifle, not both. Just curious what others think about that…
I would like to see weapon specific for all and region elk tags for non residents. It might make a few areas harder to draw kind of like what happens with the deer regions but guys that dont mind hunting with bears could probably get tags more often if we went to that process but who knows no matter what gets changed someone won't be happy about it

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
I would like to see weapon specific for all and region elk tags for non residents. It might make a few areas harder to draw kind of like what happens with the deer regions but guys that dont mind hunting with bears could probably get tags more often if we went to that process but who knows no matter what gets changed someone won't be happy about it
While it might hurt the draw odds in a place like SE Wyoming, it would significantly improve the quality of the hunt when a guy did draw it imo. I personally believe a disproportionate number of General tag holders hunt in grizzly free areas creating some pretty high pressure hunting. I think it makes sense to leave general tags statewide for residents, but force them to choose weapon, and force non-residents to choose weapon and region.

While it might hurt the draw odds in a place like SE Wyoming, it would significantly improve the quality of the hunt when a guy did draw it imo. I personally believe a disproportionate number of General tag holders hunt in grizzly free areas creating some pretty high pressure hunting. I think it makes sense to leave general tags statewide for residents, but force them to choose weapon, and force non-residents to choose weapon and region.
As a WY resident this seems like a logical choice to me too, only one thing might make it tricky for elk. They are actively trying to reduce elk in quite a few areas, so perhaps it needs to be a weapon choice in areas that aren't as over-target. I imagine having the archery and rifle options both does increase the harvest rate. For deer and antelope choosing your weapon seems obvious.

wapitibob

WKR
50% of the nr quota to outfitters, nr fee increase, removal of the nr 7250 cap, and regions for non residents is now on the table and the “grand proposal” will be discussed at the next TF meeting in a cpl weeks

tdhanses

WKR
50% of the nr quota to outfitters, nr fee increase, removal of the nr 7250 cap, and regions for non residents is now on the table and the “grand proposal” will be discussed at the next TF meeting in a cpl weeks
But we were told it wasn’t even an option messing with dea for many years, yet we all knew it was coming.

Before we hit the panic button… any idea of what % of non res elk hunters are already booking with outfitters. I think lots in LQ areas, and obviously all of them in wilderness areas. I’d be very curious to know. Lots of guys are capable of accessing and hunting deer and antelope. But I think with what it takes to find and kill elk not to mention packing them out a higher percentage of hunters are in fact using outfitters. Especially the ones who only hunt elk once every five or 10 years and even more so for the once in a lifetime guys.

Do I have to become an outfitter again so I can hunt!!! Lol

It shouldn’t matter what percentage of hunters use outfitters. WY should not force 50% of NR hunters to use an outfitter in order to access those tags. Once a hunter draws a tag then they can make a decision to use an outfitter or not. You know, free market, individual agency and all that…..

BuzzH

WKR
Before we hit the panic button… any idea of what % of non res elk hunters are already booking with outfitters. I think lots in LQ areas, and obviously all of them in wilderness areas. I’d be very curious to know. Lots of guys are capable of accessing and hunting deer and antelope. But I think with what it takes to find and kill elk not to mention packing them out a higher percentage of hunters are in fact using outfitters. Especially the ones who only hunt elk once every five or 10 years and even more so for the once in a lifetime guys.

Do I have to become an outfitter again so I can hunt!!! Lol
Sy won't let you become an outfitter and has decided that any bill adopted should include the ability of the outfitters to make regulations on which outfitters should get the outfitters set aside.

In other words new outfitters would be hosed.

Sy won't let you become an outfitter and has decided that any bill adopted should include the ability of the outfitters to make regulations on which outfitters should get the outfitters set aside.

In other words new outfitters would be hosed.
The way to get your foot in the door is to purchase an existing business. I know a guy on the fence about selling right now. Nice little outfit too. I’m too old and wise for that. Outfitters don’t get to hunt enough. But a young guy who guided for me in Montana has his financing ready to go. Fingers crossed!

Bighorner

WKR

That's a good point

Rich M

WKR
Maybe have the discussion on WHY / HOW this happened….
Really?

More hunters
Less land to hunt on
Less opportunity at home for folks
Development
Leases
Preference points & limited entry hunts everywhere
Trophy hunters mad that NR shoot non-trophies
Internet heros telling guys how to apply
OnXMaps is a big factor
Go Hunt is another factor

NR = 1 or 2 tags, Res = 6-8-10 tags. Res not happy.

LoL. Can’t wait for the gravy train to end as the older guys who still hunt give way to the candy-asses who can’t hunt for a week without some kind of mental battle where they struggle to stay in the field. Spend $3k and leave after 4 days. How long will that last? That dude aint coming back.

I think older guys will decide to do something else. That’s easy money lost to the golf course or nearby boat yard.