Wyoming General Elk Draw Odds - Fair warning to rookies

Zim

FNG
I’m not here to rub it in, just to understand. I drew this tag with zero points, 4 people on our application. First time I’ve ever applied. It showed 9% odds in Go Hunt but based on the applicant numbers posted here it looks like odds were actually even lower. I saw someone saying this may be a 5-10 point hunt into the future so I’m guessing I won’t get to go again for a long time.

I also drew New Mexico unit 51 too, first time ever trying, supposedly that was 6.9% odds.

I think I need to go buy a power ball ticket? Never won anything like this before.

ef5322300bf0438259f757d3e576b7d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AJ, Cherish your opportunity because I think you will find out that luck won’t last. I have not drawn in any bonus based system in a decade, despite 300+ bonus points, and some with odds as high as 15% - 40%. I’ve hunted but only by cashing preference points. Going forward, you are far more likely to go on a run like mine.

Last edited:

tjihrig

FNG
I’d personally like to see a system that 1/2 the tags go to point holders and 1/2 from a straight lottery. At least we would get something in return for our investment each year.

cgasner1

WKR
I’d personally like to see a system that 1/2 the tags go to point holders and 1/2 from a straight lottery. At least we would get something in return for our investment each year.

Would much rather just see a bonus system rather than a preference

The point creep and explosion of hunters is somewhat disheartening. It’s had me completely rethink my approach and spending.

Fiscally speaking, it makes no sense to me to invest 7-10 years worth of points for a GENERAL TAG. A guy will have over $2k invested in a genera tag by that point in time. Not worth it. I am burning my Colorado elk points this year. I have a few points in Wyoming and will dump them soon. After those are gone, i doubt I will go after anymore general tags or chase points in those states. I’m going to stick with Arizona for a few more years and then do a late archery/rifle hunt and be done. After that, I’ll be saving my money and just focus on buying New Mexico landowner tags every 2-3 years. Top tier units are out of my league in New Mexico, but middle and lower demand units/hunts are viable options.

Fatcamp

WKR
Even at that it still gives a guy a chance instead of sitting around waiting

That depends on how many are in front of you. South Dakota screwed over youth hunters by doing this very thing. All so a bunch of people who have likely had numerous elk tags over the years were given preference.

And this conversation is about Wyoming. You always have a chance.

Zim

FNG
A big chunk of the blame is focused on WY entities. No one thinks about how much hunting opportunity has been destroyed by social media.

View attachment 416192

View attachment 416193

I do! I’ve been in the game since paper applications and up front money orders. Social media was the #1 game changer. I drew great random tags my first ten years from 1996. But zero random in the last 10 despite 300+ bonus points in nine states. Add to that outfitter welfare, auction tags, reduced NR quotas, and you got a tag desert for NR’s down the road. State wildlife agencies’ business model today is how to profit from selling dreams, NOT big game tags.

Last edited:
Sorry, I came from California and became a Wyoming resident a few years ago. That general tag is so nice! 9 months of winter is a tough price to pay for a guaranteed tag though.

I also wonder how all of this increased pressure will change general zones into draw zones for residents and non-residents. I think it's just a matter of time before most zones become draw and the general zones are just the leftover junk.

sasquatch

WKR
Massive reductions in Mule deer populations, loss of all eastern caribou hunting, and large reductions in pronghorn numbers and corresponding tag reductions for all have also contributed to more focus on elk hunting. Add to that the loss of easy cheap access whitetail hunting in the midwest and you have many spending their money on elk. Elk are now the main focus of dream hunters!

Turkeys are taking a licking too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Smfigari

FNG
I do! I’ve been in the game since paper applications and up front money orders. Social media was the #1 game changer. I drew great random tags my first ten years from 1996. But zero random in the last 10 despite 300+ bonus points in nine states. Add to that outfitter welfare, auction tags, reduced NR quotas, and you got a tag desert for NR’s down the road. State wildlife agencies’ business model today is how to profit from selling dreams, NOT big game
I agree with most of what you said here. However, the good that the revenue derived from auction tags does for big game herds cannot be discounted. There is a balance on how many can be allocated, but there is no denying that in a world where everything is more expensive, that revenue helps put more game on the landscape.

Zim

FNG
I agree with most of what you said here. However, the good that the revenue derived from auction tags does for big game herds cannot be discounted. There is a balance on how many can be allocated, but there is no denying that in a world where everything is more expensive, that revenue helps put more game on the landscape.
Ya and create a maelstrom of blatant corruption along with the destruction of the NAMWC. Sounds like a plan. Utahns love it.

Just one of many, many, many scandals involving auction tags & SFW over the last 20 years. Corruption all the way up to the governor’s office. Not to mention they encourage poaching. Not worth it.

Last edited:

lintond

WKR
Would much rather just see a bonus system rather than a preference

Do the math on a bonus system it mirrors odds for a preference points if they square them. I did a little study of this last year out of curiosity and was surprised at the results. Either they need to increase % of random or just go full random. The pref point system will be the death of hunting because new hunters late to the game are screwed.