Wyoming general elk grizzly story

KHNC

WKR
Damn good bull! I have a good idea what area you were in. Me and a buddy were discussing it last week. Congrats on a nice bull and im glad you and your dad got out safely!

OP
elkocd

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Damn good bull! I have a good idea what area you were in. Me and a buddy were discussing it last week. Congrats on a nice bull and im glad you and your dad got out safely!

JFYI, I probably won't be hunting that area again.. Not really because of bears, but just because I've hunted better in WY with less people. This is my 6th WY elk hunt.

KHNC

WKR
JFYI, I probably won't be hunting that area again.. Not really because of bears, but just because I've hunted better in WY with less people. This is my 6th WY elk hunt.
Yeah, its not likely we will hunt a grizz area either. Ive only elk hunted WY once in 2018. But i should draw a GEN tag in 2021 if we apply there.

Yes, that hike out after seeing a grizz is very nerve wracking to say the least. I was in the NWT a couple of years ago and hiking down with 80# of sheep meat in my pack and had a Sow grizz and cub wind us and close from 700 yards to 80 in about 3 minutes. We shot a couple of times next to her head after she stood up to size us up, and she finally buggered off out of sight with the cub in tow, but the rest of the hike down through the spruces and out to the middle of the river bed was the most nerve wracking thing I have ever experienced. I know exactly how you felt!

I live just east of yellowstone in wy. Every season I've hunted I've seen grizzly. I've never seen one while breaking down or packing out. But my rule of thumb is when I see a grizzly that is now their area, their elk, their whatever! I'll come back later and see what they kindly left for me :). Black bears are like labs, I feel like I could pet one and put a collar on him and take him home. Grizzly feel like a shark that adapted to the cold and land!

danarnold

WKR
9953577dae3c57b2cf3641d35b194213.jpg

In Montana we had a presumed grizzly claim this carcass after my friends hauled out the first load of meat, our head on a swivel packing out the rest

I live just east of yellowstone in wy. Every season I've hunted I've seen grizzly. I've never seen one while breaking down or packing out. But my rule of thumb is when I see a grizzly that is now their area, their elk, their whatever! I'll come back later and see what they kindly left for me :). Black bears are like labs, I feel like I could pet one and put a collar on him and take him home. Grizzly feel like a shark that adapted to the cold and land!

Last year we spoke with one of the bio's in your area. He said if a grizz claimed our meat we should just get in there in force be loud and take it back. Which was pretty surprising to us LOL. Hope I never have to do that.

Last year we spoke with one of the bio's in your area. He said if a grizz claimed our meat we should just get in there in force be loud and take it back. Which was pretty surprising to us LOL. Hope I never have to do that.

Wow! Everyone hunts differently. If that's how they feel awesome...not what I would do...but what I would do isn't always the best idea :)

Wrench

WKR
I shot a black bear with meat on my back as it was nose down on the trail I was on.... it was a runt and that put some pep in my step. I can't imagine a griz with cubs.

drdrop

FNG
Glad both you and your dad, plus the griz didn't get hurt. I lost a front quarter to one in 2017 N of Dubois, but grateful I recovered everything else.

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
How much trouble with the delisting of wolves and all the back and forth on grizz would you get in to for shooting a grizz on your elk that isn’t charging you? Say WY or ID MT

jpe5714

Lil-Rokslider
I killed a bull in the Thorofare this year with my bow. Shot it near last light, so we came back in the AM. (there was 8" of snow and cold) picked up his track, and we saw a grizz prints on his. Started yelling, singing, 5 minutes later we saw a sow & 2 cubs 50 yards from walking UP the mountain. 150 yards later we found my bull buried. Luckily there was 3 of us. she only chewed a bit of the skin behind the shoulder and a tiny hole in the belly. 2 of us were breaking it down, 1 guy on watch. Sure enough she charged us. she stopped about 10 yards from us woofing, popping and shoulders were puffed and ears pinned... there was a mule tied to a small pine tree, it's spinning around the tree, and as soon as it spun clear, my buddy and I both fired our Glocks at it. I shot twice, my buddy once. (the guide still had his knife in his hand) It turned and never came back. Pretty freakin wild. I didn't have an adrenaline dump like that since my days on a SWAT team

Saved the story. Gonna read it in awhile. Glad y’all are fine. Im hunting north, northwest of Dubois in 2021. First week of rifle.
I keep hearing there’s plenty of bears up there.