Wyoming general elk grizzly story

Loper

WKR
Intense situations like this make for great stories that you’ll never forget. Glad you and your dad made it out to tell it. I hope I’m hauling out elk quarters when I’m 73. Nice bull!

Huntnnw

WKR
I am hunting Grizz territory next year in WY. Outfitter asked if I had a 44, I said yes. Talked to another guide buddy and he suggested a 10 mm Glock for the 15 rounds...got me thinking maybe 6 isn't enough.
Id rather have a 44.. that first shot is all that matters and like mentioned you might get 2. 15 does you know good

BDRam16

WKR
1. Awesome elk, story, and time spent with your dad. Very happy to hear everyone made it out ok.
2. Hindsight is always 20/20 and you can second or third guess yourself to eternity without any way to know if it would have made a difference. I think the only thing I have learned and heard from multiple stories and podcasts and videos and whatnot, is that you just have to rough it out through that first night and get the meat and antlers off the carcass if you're worried about grizzlies. Even if it's only a 1/4 mile and up a tree. I saw somewhere that the statistic on grizzly claimed carcasses is that the vast majority happen within the first 24hrs. After that first night it was already borrowed time. There's an awesome episode of the Meateater podcast where they talk about a very, very close grizzly encounter for a very similar story. Seems like suffering through the first night and getting your meat away from the carcass and sleeping in the next day is the safest bet.

Thanks for sharing the story.