Wyoming General Points for 2020?

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
change deadline is May 8

Bob, do you know when they refund your money if you withdraw an application? Immediately or do you have to wait? I don’t believe I have seen the answer to that anywhere (and I haven’t tried calling WFG).

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Thanks-although I was confusing and confused-you cleared it up for me 👍

No problem. The way I think about WY apps is that your first choice is the only one that matters. You’ll only get a tag for your second or third choice if it is a unit that typically has leftover tags.

fmyth

WKR
Bob, do you know when they refund your money if you withdraw an application? Immediately or do you have to wait? I don’t believe I have seen the answer to that anywhere (and I haven’t tried calling WFG).
I withdrew an application last year and had to wait until after the draw to receive my refund.

Is gohunt basically the same draw odds as the Wyoming fish and game website? This year I applied for my first ever out of state tag. Wyoming elk area 10. The Wyoming website says 2019 had a quota of 591 and there were 4207 first choice applicants. I guess that’s around 14% chance in the random draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wthunter

FNG
Every year that there is a big jump in tag costs or regulation changes, people think draw odds will get better. Every single time that I have personally kept track, it gets harder to draw. Why? Everyone thinks their odds will be better so they put in. I wouldn't be surprised if it took 3 points to draw a WY general tag this year. Believe me, I hope I am very wrong. I swear they could increase the price of a tag to $1,200 for the regular draw and there would be just as many applicants as the year before. :rolleyes:

Every year that there is a big jump in tag costs or regulation changes, people think draw odds will get better. Every single time that I have personally kept track, it gets harder to draw. Why? Everyone thinks their odds will be better so they put in. I wouldn't be surprised if it took 3 points to draw a WY general tag this year. Believe me, I hope I am very wrong. I swear they could increase the price of a tag to $1,200 for the regular draw and there would be just as many applicants as the year before. :rolleyes:
I think you’re are 100% correct. In 10 years we will look back and laugh when it “only” took 3 points to draw the general elk tag as a non resident. 10 years ago I hunted it twice in 3 years as a non-resident.

So does the general tag have different odds in different units? Or is it all the same draw?

You think the draw change this year might deter some applicants making it differ from your applied data?

If anything, I feel like it is going to make it worse. Every thread I have read lately is people saying they are going in this year because the draw is going to deter everyone. I think apps will be up more than normal, especially for the general tag.

If anything, I feel like it is going to make it worse. Every thread I have read lately is people saying they are going in this year because the draw is going to deter everyone. I think apps will be up more than normal, especially for the general tag.
Was thinking the same thing.

I completely agree with this point exactly. Everything I am seeing from everyone is along the lines of "everyone is going to back out this year, I am going to apply." I say it takes at least 3pts in regular to draw general...2pts special

sasquatch

WKR

I’d shell out more than that if that’s what itd take to get a guaranteed tag!

If I had to choose between saving my money and ensuring I’m GOING elk hunting, vs saving money because the tag price is low and hoping to go elk hunting

I choose GOING everytime.

Tags are still relatively cheap compared to what most spend on vacations. For a round total of $3k, including a special price tag I get to spend a whole month chasing elk. That’s a steal

So does the general tag have different odds in different units? Or is it all the same draw?

You can hunt any general unit with a general tag. It is not unit specific. GoHunt puts the the same odds of drawing the general tag for each unit/hunt that is included under the tag.

In general, the odds on gohunt are what the odds were the previous season. You can use the “draw trends” tables to get a better feel for how odds may change from the previous season to the current application.

wthunter

FNG
I think you’re are 100% correct. In 10 years we will look back and laugh when it “only” took 3 points to draw the general elk tag as a non resident. 10 years ago I hunted it twice in 3 years as a non-resident.

Yeah, I got into the elk game way to late in life. Wish I had been building points. I only have 2 points this year. I would've loved to go but odds didn't look good. I just hope I can draw the general tag with 3 points next year.

Yeah, I got into the elk game way to late in life. Wish I had been building points. I only have 2 points this year. I would've loved to go but odds didn't look good. I just hope I can draw the general tag with 3 points next year.

Put some extra $$ aside for the special and you will likely be ok (could still be close though).

KHNC

WKR
I've never understood this. Why would you float that money for 5 months on a card? If you can't pay for it now you shouldn't think you can pay for it later
I am surprised at this question. All of my credit cards (3) have a zero balance outside of hunting season app season. Why would i want to pay it and be out the full price of multiple states tags? That would be 3-4k depending on where all i apply and what i apply for. The interest charges lost are much better than me paying out a fat lump of money on tags i most likely wont draw, then waiting to be refunded after that.

Just because you dont get in early doesnt mean you cannot draw great tags. A lot of the comments on the ability to draw tags are negative...however, I have learned that over the years that there is attrition and if you are on top of your apps, before you know it, you will start drawing tags. There's a reason people draw tags, then (if the state allows) they go right back to applying for said species again. It seems far away at the time, but its amazing how quickly you can rack up points. There's always a chance. Just buy points in every state you can afford for as many species you can afford.

Last edited: