wyoming general questions

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
few quick questions, im in the works planning a possible quick trip to Wyoming for antelope next fall, ill be part of a group application which should average 4-5 points.

1st question maybe i'm looking at this wrong, but is Oct. 1 a pretty standard date for antelope rifle season opener? as a non resident. I cant seem to find a specific date for 2020, is it probable that it will be October 1st? or does it usually start on a Saturday?

2nd I need to make this a fairly quick trip, if i arrive early on opener, and have 3 days to hunt (rifle) am i going to be rushed? i'm not looking to shoot a giant, id just like to fill a buck tag with something worth taking a picture with and add some meat to the freezer. this will be my first antelope hunt, but ill likely be hunting with a buddy that has shot several, and im confident in my spot and stalk capabilities.

Thanks for your help

Actual dates are set next summer. But, you can use this years dates as general approximations.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
few quick questions, im in the works planning a possible quick trip to Wyoming for antelope next fall, ill be part of a group application which should average 4-5 points.

1st question maybe i'm looking at this wrong, but is Oct. 1 a pretty standard date for antelope rifle season opener? as a non resident. I cant seem to find a specific date for 2020, is it probable that it will be October 1st? or does it usually start on a Saturday?

2nd I need to make this a fairly quick trip, if i arrive early on opener, and have 3 days to hunt (rifle) am i going to be rushed? i'm not looking to shoot a giant, id just like to fill a buck tag with something worth taking a picture with and add some meat to the freezer. this will be my first antelope hunt, but ill likely be hunting with a buddy that has shot several, and im confident in my spot and stalk capabilities.

Thanks for your help

3 days to hunt should be plenty of time for an opportunity on a representative buck, barring a weather event that makes hunting difficult. This was our first day this past year- 6 degrees and blowing 25-30.

0.jpeg

OP
T

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
well thats what i'm used to dealing with here in MN. i was on a coyote hunt in ND about 5 years ago. we fought -25 degree temps and 25-30 MPH winds one day, it was horrendous, but we managed to shoot a few that day.

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
Oct 1 is a good guesstimate. Some opened late September (25th) this year. 3 days is plenty of time for an antelope hunt. In 3 days you will have many stalks and see a lot of bucks.

Depending on the hunt area a Type 1 rifle antelope season can start as early as September 10 or as late as October 15.

Seasons tend to start on a certain day of the month rather than a Saturday.

ClearCreek

wytx

WKR
ClearCreek is right. Openers vary from area to area.
Lots to do on an antelope hunt, bird hunting, fishing, etc. I would allow a couple more days if you can, but in the right area certainly possible to fill your tags in 3 days.

Do the seasons usually start on Saturday?

Not unless September 10 or 15 or 20 or October 1 or 15 are on a Saturday. As I stated in my previous post, the seasons will start on a certain day of the month (what ever day of the week that it), NOT on a certain day of the week.

ClearCreek

bdan68

WKR
Some areas DO open on a Saturday. The unit I hunted this year opened on Saturday, September 21st. Last year it opened on Saturday, September 15th. I'm assuming the Saturday opening day was intentional by the WGFD. But, there seems to be no "standard" opening date. When I took a quick glance I see opening dates for type 1 licenses of September 10, 14, 15, 20, 21, 25, and October 1 and 15. I do agree that many units open on the same date each year and not the same day of the week. But like I said, the area I hunted this year appears to always open on a Saturday.

Lukej88

FNG
With it being your first hunt and not looking for a record worthy buck, 3 days will be enough time to fill the freezer and a picture worthy trophy.

I'm sure you already know this, but you will glass a lot before heading across the prairie to chase a heard of goats.

Enjoy the hunt, hunting goats is a lot of fun, and the meat is amazing!

manitou1

WKR
I hunt two different areas (GMUs). One opens on Oct 1st, the other opens Oct 15th the past few years. Like stated above, tentative dates will be out in March (should be). Those dates are a good bet to plan with.
I don't know if they have changed from those tentative dates historically, but I have not seen it.