Wyoming General Tag Elk

NallaJ23

FNG
I’m hoping to draw a general Elk tag in Wyoming this year, and was wondering if there are a couple areas of the state that I should focus more on. I’m just looking to get into some elk and have a fun hunt. A good respectable bull or cow would be an amazing accomplishment, and provide me with meat for the freezer. I’ve scouted quite a bit around the Bighorns and down south near Medicine Bow. Are these areas a good start, or should I be looking somewhere else?

River_Rat

FNG
It's up to u to make ur hunt good or bad. Those places have good elk numbers so keep scouting and it will come together. But please stop going on social media platforms and fishing to be spoonfed spots. Keep up the scouting and putting in time and I promise u will be successful. Good luck.

OP
NallaJ23

NallaJ23

FNG
Did you find elk in your scouting? If so I'd say you're in the right spot. If you didn't I might try looking elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Sorry about that, I should’ve been more specific. I’ve never actually scouted those areas in person. It was just through aerial imagery. I have been around the Bighorns, but it was for Muleys or Pronghorn. This will be my first time in Wyoming for elk.

KHNC

WKR
The bighorns have plenty of elk. If you know that area, stick with it. IF you dont have 3-4 points, then you probably wont draw a tag anyway. In my experience, whatever GEN area you hunt, it will be populated with MANY hunters looking for elk. Good luck.

Another good place to start is looking at the Elk state reviews from each of the major hunting pubs and member services. Eastmans MRS section on WY elk should be coming out soon for 2022 if it isnt already out. Elk are doing well statewide in WY compared to deer and antelope so that's a plus

OP
NallaJ23

NallaJ23

FNG
It's up to u to make ur hunt good or bad. Those places have good elk numbers so keep scouting and it will come together. But please stop going on social media platforms and fishing to be spoonfed spots. Keep up the scouting and putting in time and I promise u will be successful. Good luck.
I understand your response and I know all of that. But I’m not a novice hunter. And I’m definitely not looking to be spoon fed spots. I’m from Illinois and I’m only able to get out west a couple of times a year. So I was just wondering if anyone had an area of the state that might be a better starting point than other parts. Everything I do is DIY public land. If I wanted everything to be done for me I would just go to an outfitter and not worry about putting in time. I will most definitely put in the time and will never ask to have it done for me. I don’t even expect to be successful on this hunt, I know the odds are nowhere close to being in my favor. I was just wanting to have a conversation so I could make the best out of the time I will have. Thanks for the response.

bsnedeker

WKR
I understand your response and I know all of that. But I’m not a novice hunter. And I’m definitely not looking to be spoon fed spots. I’m from Illinois and I’m only able to get out west a couple of times a year. So I was just wondering if anyone had an area of the state that might be a better starting point than other parts. Everything I do is DIY public land. If I wanted everything to be done for me I would just go to an outfitter and not worry about putting in time. I will most definitely put in the time and will never ask to have it done for me. I don’t even expect to be successful on this hunt, I know the odds are nowhere close to being in my favor. I was just wanting to have a conversation so I could make the best out of the time I will have. Thanks for the response.
What public land areas do you hunt in Illinois? Would you like to publish that information on this website?

OP
NallaJ23

NallaJ23

FNG
I sure would. I would look into any public land in the northwest, west central, or southern part of the state. These areas have a high density of deer and great buck potential. This type of information was all I was looking for in this thread. Just a good place to start. I was never wanting gps coordinates of anyone’s hunting spot. Sorry for the confusion.

OP
NallaJ23

NallaJ23

FNG
You just described 85% of the state, but ok.

Any public land in the mountains or on the border of ag land would be good to look at.

Good luck!

Yes that’s correct. But there are only a few small pockets of public land in those areas I described. Wyoming has millions of more acres of public than Illinois. I will tell you specific public land parks or fish and wildlife areas if you’re actually interested. Send me a pm if so. I’ll be happy to help any hunter have a better chance for success.

pirogue

WKR
You just don’t get much info for that nature of request. Too many other sources and e-scouting to pursue. Just don’t resort to the “looking for a place to take my dad on his last hunt”.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
Nope I wasn't aware. I thought he was making a joke
It's a pretty cool system. You can take any unfilled full price elk tag and apply for weekly permission slips to hunt. Later in the year is better once they funnel down out of the wilderness when the snows hit. Pretty much cows only, but a few special youth antlered slots. Can't wait to put my boys in for it, there's some massive elk that come in there in late December. I've hunted it twice, fun hunt.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RMM

RMM

WKR
It's a pretty cool system. You can take any unfilled full price elk tag and apply for weekly permission slips to hunt. Later in the year is better once they funnel down out of the wilderness when the snows hit. Pretty much cows only, but a few special youth antlered slots. Can't wait to put my boys in for it, there's some massive elk that come in there in late December. I've hunted it twice, fun hunt.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
That does sound cool. I appreciate the info.

Don't ever ask about anything on the internet. In fact don't mention species or state. Just to be safe don't mention country either. Something like "I'm looking to hunt, any recommendations for where?" is about as specific as the internet will let you get nowadays. Don't mention an entire state, and certainly don't mention two very large areas in that state. Geez, this thread has ruined my secret spots which happen to be in Wyoming (now that Wyoming is out in the open as a great place to hunt elk, no point in my hiding my secret spot).

Oh and now everybody knows the refuge is huntable, there go all the secrets!