Wyoming grizzlies

Last time I was in WY I noticed the meth/opioid issues plaguing the state. It was more troubling than bear issues.
OOPS …. you "MIGHT" want to take a look around yer backyard there dude …. out of bounds as WY is full of honest hard working folks just like "your" state I reckon

Last edited:
To be fair, the client wasn't watching out for anything but his own hide and left the outfitter to die. If any lessons can be gleaned, the inexperienced tourist-hunters should stick to their tree stands. A good family man died thanks to a coward with deep pockets that should of stayed were he belonged.

"Chubon’s first reaction was to retrieve Uptain’s Glock from the nearby gear pile, but he didn’t know how to function the slide on the top of the firearm that chambers a bullet."

Moral of the story; Don't rely on that guy for anything. This is reminding me of the problem with inexperienced climbers on Mt. Everest.

brsnow

WKR
OOPS …. you "MIGHT" want to take a look around yer backyard there dude …. out of bounds as WY is full of honest hard working folks just "your" state I reckon

Just sharing what I have witnessed regularly in WY. No doubt there is hard working people but proportion of drug abuse seems large.

brsnow

WKR
"Chubon’s first reaction was to retrieve Uptain’s Glock from the nearby gear pile, but he didn’t know how to function the slide on the top of the firearm that chambers a bullet."

Moral of the story; Don't rely on that guy for anything. This is reminding me of the problem with inexperienced climbers on Mt. Everest.

Why didn’t Uptain have his glock? It was a tragedy but to imply the paying customer is responsible is silly.

Last edited:

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
To answer your question:
45b12a6f7ef7f7253092bf1767bd4977.gif

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I
I've seen a similar graph. I appreciate it.

bmf0713

WKR
I’m gonna have to agree with K1United on a few points. The guy from Florida is a coward. I don’t think I could go back to my family knowing I let a man die. I was not in that situation so I can’t say 100%. I think some people should avoid grizzly bear country. I currently reside in Iowa and the most dangerous thing we gotta worry about is drinking too much beer and falling out of a tree stand. I’ve been buying Wyoming preference points but with the recent attacks and grizzly bear populations I’m rethinking my whole plan of hunting Wyoming. So instead I’m gonna go to Colorado and fight the crowds and hopefully I don’t get attacked by a meth head hipster. Haha.

brsnow

WKR
Here's another good read

From Kodiak to WY and many other places I have gotten along just fine. . Still curious how many are killed each year by bears in WY?

I’m gonna have to agree with K1United on a few points. The guy from Florida is a coward. I don’t think I could go back to my family knowing I let a man die. I was not in that situation so I can’t say 100%. I think some people should avoid grizzly bear country. I currently reside in Iowa and the most dangerous thing we gotta worry about is drinking too much beer and falling out of a tree stand. I’ve been buying Wyoming preference points but with the recent attacks and grizzly bear populations I’m rethinking my whole plan of hunting Wyoming. So instead I’m gonna go to Colorado and fight the crowds and hopefully I don’t get attacked by a meth head hipster. Haha.
I've "non res'd" in WY the last 7 years and been very successful in filling tags and NOT seeing any Griz OR Griz sign …. don't let anyone discourage you from non resident hunts, most states really appreciate the $$

bmf0713

WKR
I guess the silver lining is if enough out-of-staters get eaten they will finally approve an open season on grizzly. Cull the horde or continue to feed it with hackeysack ne'er-do-wells???... Its a toss up for sure

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The thread was started with a person who wanted information on grizzly bear activity. Your not gonna stop the infiltration of out of state hunters because of it. I think this thread would be beneficial to someone about grizzly bears from someone with experience like yourself. Im an out of stater but spend money in town and leave the place I hunt cleaner than I found it. I understand your frustration I wouldn’t like sh*t heads from out of state screwing with my hunting area. I m probably not gonna take advise about grizzlies from someone from New York.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the OP:

Information on grizzly bear interactions, statistics and such, is readily available for the wandering internet explorer.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/Wildlife/Large Carnivore/Grizzly_JCR_2017_FINAL.pdf
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Wildlife/Large Carnivore/Grizzly_JCR_2018_FINAL.pdf

https://prd-wret.s3-us-west-2.amazo...2017_AnnualReport_Final_tagged_Secured_v3.pdf

Long story short, you're much more likely to be killed driving to Wyoming than by a grizzly bear.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
On August 31st, my very first day caribou hunting in Alaska's Brooks Range, I was with one of my partners on a drop hunt. We both carried lighter caliber rifles and Glock 20 10mms. We spotted a herd of five nice bulls one ridge away. I dropped my pack, left my pistol with it and solo stalked the herd while my buddy stayed on the spotting scope. I was about half a mile from him when my problem started.

Now, I lived and hunted in British Columbia in grizzly country for a number of years, so I have a healthy respect for the bears. But what happened next chilled me to the bones. My stalk seemed perfect but when I crested the ridge expecting to find the herd near me, I instead saw a grizzly about 250 yards away and no caribou in sight. It saw me, turned and came straight down the hill right at me at a full run. My rifle mag holds three rounds, and I didn't have one in the chamber. I quickly chambered one and the bear stopped at about 50 yards. I ended up backing up and side walking with my rifle at port for the entire half mile back to my buddy's position and the packs. I fell on the tundra humps once which really got the grizzly excited and he closed to about 30 yards. Nothing bad came of it but he followed me for the whole 1/2 mile.

I was scared and angry that I left myself vulnerable by leaving the pistol. Our rule after that was never take it off, and if you stripped down to butcher a bull, the pistol stays on you in the chest holster. Scared the crap out of me but lesson learned. I didn't tell my wife that one yet.