Wyoming grizzlies

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
Keep a clean camp, your head on a tripod, never set your side arm down, Hang your food. Our camp is at about 8500. I never let my guard down cause these guys are everywhere up here.

Attachments

• 20190831_202729[1].jpg
    20190831_202729[1].jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 20190529_191839[1].jpg
    20190529_191839[1].jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 20190804_135751[1].jpg
    20190804_135751[1].jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 182

crossone

FNG
Lots of good info in this thread (bad behavior and hurt feeling not withstanding). I’m by no means a grizzly expert, not even really a player by many counts. I hunt and camp near and around Yellowstone in Idaho and Montana, so even though I’ve not had any issues with them, they’re an ever present threat, like fire, traffic accidents, and murderers.

I load my G20 10mm with new brass, moderately hot loads, and solid copper bullets to maximize penetration. My buddies have never been tangled up with grizzlies but buddies of buddies have. I agree with those guys that have said that the man from Florida was who that guide was counting on to save him and I agree with those who said that it’s not the clients job to protect the guide.

I’m confident that it’s the guide’s job to protect the client, not the other way around.

The man is from Florida. He probably know how to avoid snakes, gators, and chiggers, but grizzlies are not in his wheelhouse nor is an unknown G20 which has been thrown at him during a grizzly attack. If memory serves, the poor man was looking for a safety on the gun when he hit the magazine release and dropped the magazine, which probably made his mental state go from dire to worse. I refuse to blame the client.

We learn more about these bear attacks every year (we around Yellowstone have been learning even faster over these past 10 years or so) and something that seems to matter more than anything else is to have a reliable companion (I used to say “partner” but these days folks think “partner” means you share a sleeping bag). Someone else who has a weapon they’re familiar with and is going in with the understanding that they’re responsible for the other guy should a bear attack him/her. Maybe 1 on 1 guiding in Wyoming needs to be re-thought or at least 1 on 1 retrieval. Those guys knew they were going in to try to find a dead elk that morning, maybe a spare guide (or sturdy Wyoming camp cook) to protect the other guide from bears would be a reasonable precaution.

Crossone

Lots of good info in this thread (bad behavior and hurt feeling not withstanding). I’m by no means a grizzly expert, not even really a player by many counts. I hunt and camp near and around Yellowstone in Idaho and Montana, so even though I’ve not had any issues with them, they’re an ever present threat, like fire, traffic accidents, and murderers.

I load my G20 10mm with new brass, moderately hot loads, and solid copper bullets to maximize penetration. My buddies have never been tangled up with grizzlies but buddies of buddies have. I agree with those guys that have said that the man from Florida was who that guide was counting on to save him and I agree with those who said that it’s not the clients job to protect the guide.

I’m confident that it’s the guide’s job to protect the client, not the other way around.

The man is from Florida. He probably know how to avoid snakes, gators, and chiggers, but grizzlies are not in his wheelhouse nor is an unknown G20 which has been thrown at him during a grizzly attack. If memory serves, the poor man was looking for a safety on the gun when he hit the magazine release and dropped the magazine, which probably made his mental state go from dire to worse. I refuse to blame the client.

We learn more about these bear attacks every year (we around Yellowstone have been learning even faster over these past 10 years or so) and something that seems to matter more than anything else is to have a reliable companion (I used to say “partner” but these days folks think “partner” means you share a sleeping bag). Someone else who has a weapon they’re familiar with and is going in with the understanding that they’re responsible for the other guy should a bear attack him/her. Maybe 1 on 1 guiding in Wyoming needs to be re-thought or at least 1 on 1 retrieval. Those guys knew they were going in to try to find a dead elk that morning, maybe a spare guide (or sturdy Wyoming camp cook) to protect the other guide from bears would be a reasonable precaution.

Crossone
EXCELLENT POST …..

Seth00

FNG
Went on a 13-hr horseback hunt this week in NW Wyoming and we encountered 4 different grizzlies within a few square miles. One of them wandered up to us while we were eating and came within 15-20 yards of us before backing away. The grizzly population is out of control.

Went on a 13-hr horseback hunt this week in NW Wyoming and we encountered 4 different grizzlies within a few square miles. One of them wandered up to us while we were eating and came within 15-20 yards of us before backing away. The grizzly population is out of control.
What is the "safe zone" before you would consider firing on a bear? 15 yards isn't going togive you very much time to react. Curious what the different opinions are. Yes I understand the bears actions and demeanor trump distances, but where is your line in the sand?

What is the "safe zone" before you would consider firing on a bear? 15 yards isn't going togive you very much time to react. Curious what the different opinions are. Yes I understand the bears actions and demeanor trump distances, but where is your line in the sand?

If it's in pistol range it's close enough to feel threatened, IMO.

Keep a clean camp, your head on a tripod, never set your side arm down, Hang your food. Our camp is at about 8500. I never let my guard down cause these guys are everywhere up here.

That bear looks like it could shot put my 4runner.

Seth00

FNG

Great question. Not one I can totally answer myself. There were 3 of us and we were all sitting / lying down. Once I saw it, all three of us jumped up and drew our sidearms, and the commotion from that seemed to cause the grizzly to turn and run off. If it had been charging, I would have been firing from the hip as soon as my 10mm was out of the holster, but I waited a second and we didn't end up needing to pull the trigger. We came close to emptying a couple magazines of hot lead though...

Not trying to stir the pot, but interestingly enough, in that moment not one of us 3 even considered reaching for our bear spray. Each of us independently grabbed for our sidearms.

kolya86

FNG
I would say this map is out of date. There are definitely grizz in the bighorns, more of them in the winds. There arent as many as the nw corner of the state but they are 100 percent throughout the winds and there are some not many in the bighorns. I had a large boar grizz come by at 50 ish yards in the southern winds this summer.

I would say this map is out of date. There are definitely grizz in the bighorns, more of them in the winds. There arent as many as the nw corner of the state but they are 100 percent throughout the winds and there are some not many in the bighorns. I had a large boar grizz come by at 50 ish yards in the southern winds this summer.

I asked you in the other thread also, where and when have you seen grizzly bears in the Bighorns?

ClearCreek

kolya86

FNG
I asked you in the other thread also, where and when have you seen grizzly bears in the Bighorns?

ClearCreek
I saw a medium sized boar by grace lake this summer late july. have multiple other friends who have seen them. 100 percent confident in my sighting have spent alot of time around both species. I dont think there are tons but i am going to start treating the bighorns as grizz country.

Beendare

WKR
The one rule we live by in Grizz country is to pack that animal out ASAP. Packing them that same evening is much better than going back to a downed animal the next day.

If you aren't willing to pack in the dark...don't hunt in the afternoon.

So many of these stories where guys are attacked the next day....almost none where guys are packing it out at night.

A bear that smells food has a much different demeanor than a bear guarding its food.

kolya86

FNG
The one rule we live by in Grizz country is to pack that animal out ASAP. Packing them that same evening is much better than going back to a downed animal the next day.

If you aren't willing to pack in the dark...don't hunt in the afternoon.

So many of these stories where guys are attacked the next day....almost none where guys are packing it out at night.

A bear that smells food has a much different demeanor than a bear guarding its food.

Totally agree. I have done a lot of hunting out of jackson and cody and that is my rule. If i cant get it out quick or get it on horses quick i dont drop it. All my encounters have been from just bumping into em. Its crazy how quick it can happen even if you are totally aware. My brother got treed 2 years ago in the predawn dark as he was hiking to a spot to glass. Sprayed it and it was still lurking for 40 minutes.

4ester

WKR
That map is definitely out of date. A few reside down the Wyoming Range for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"

Crossone
That guy left the state before they ever recovered the guide's body. He's a spineless turd and should never leave the state of Florida. Doesn't know how to operate a Glock? I would say they're idiot proof... but along comes a guy from Florida to prove that theory wrong.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
If only there were a controlled hunt there would be a healthy fear of humans.

The only bear that gains a healthy fear of humans is the one killed...never have figured out why the "logic" of hunting seasons causing bears to fear humans is brought up.

That said, there is no doubt that the grizzly population in Wyoming warrants a season based on the science, population, and recommendations from biologists.

Also, its pretty likely that by killing older age class bears, in particular boars, there will be an increase in total population and perhaps an increase in bear problems/conflicts.

squirrel

WKR

Many years ago I was told that if there was a dead bear and I was not bleeding there would be an arrest and trial, the results of which may go either way of course.

A few weeks later i had a hostile encounter with a mama bear and small cub at 25 yards. I very clearly remember thinking of many things in those few minutes but do not recall a single one having to do with the legal system!

I can assure you this, you will have incredible clarity of focus, all else is subject to individual vagaries of personality and skills

FLAK

WKR
Any bear that gets skwurly with me is apt to get shot.
And, depending on terrain I'm thinkin about 100ft. is my
line in the sand.