Wyoming grizzlies

Depends on what you consider "central Wyoming". If you are spike camping in the western 1/2 of the state there is a chance you could have a grizzly near or in your camp. If you following the rules for camping in bear country your chances of having a bad experience are lessened.

ClearCreek

OP
lukereynolds
Thanks. I appreciate all that. Yeah, last time I was in the Winds during hunting season was 20 years ago, when bear populations and range expansion weren't nearly what they are now. We'll keep a clean camp for sure, as far as hiking into glass well before first light, and out well after dark, any suggestions?

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I have a tag for Unit 54 this year. A Guide got mauled to death last year near Cody. I'm hunting alone and I'm not sure if I'm going to spike camp. (I usually do 3-5 nights solo living out of my backpack). It depends on where you're hunting but I know bears are becoming a bigger and bigger problem every year. The guy that got mauled was working up an elk with a guy watching for bears. They both nearly died. Its a serious threat. I would be extremely cautious with my food, where I shoot an animal and may consider an electric fence.

OP
lukereynolds
I have a tag for Unit 54 this year. A Guide got mauled to death last year near Cody. I'm hunting alone and I'm not sure if I'm going to spike camp. (I usually do 3-5 nights solo living out of my backpack). It depends on where you're hunting but I know bears are becoming a bigger and bigger problem every year. The guy that got mauled was working up an elk with a guy watching for bears. They both nearly died. Its a serious threat. I would be extremely cautious with my food, where I shoot an animal and may consider an electric fence.
Thanks. Good luck out there!

K

Kootenay Hunter

To be fair, someone would have to read the entire article of what went on.
They also had an elk carcass on the ground overnight.... that is a totally different situation that a well maintain spike camp.

If we worried about grizzlies in BC, with a population of 15k, like you guys do in the lower 48, we'd never go outside! You're more likely to get in a car accident and die on the way to your camp than get mauled by a grizzly.

OP
lukereynolds
To be fair, someone would have to read the entire article of what went on.
They also had an elk carcass on the ground overnight.... that is a totally different situation that a well maintain spike camp.

If we worried about grizzlies in BC, with a population of 15k, like you guys do in the lower 48, we'd never go outside! You're more likely to get in a car accident and die on the way to your camp than get mauled by a grizzly.
Agreed. Thanks alot.

JWP58

WKR
If a guy was planning on hunting the southern part of the Wyoming range, are griz common there. I'm hoping for the best planning for the worst.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
To be fair, the client wasn't watching out for anything but his own hide and left the outfitter to die. If any lessons can be gleaned, the inexperienced tourist-hunters should stick to their tree stands. A good family man died thanks to a coward with deep pockets that should of stayed were he belonged.

It sounds like the client wasn't the best partner to have with you in bear country. The Guide also didn't have his pistol on him which could've possibly saved his life. It's a tragedy either way. Was the the Florida client a coward....sounds like it but none of us were there....should he had stayed home in his treestand...I don't think professional guides who rely on his deep pockets would agree with you under normal circumstances.

The OP asked about spike camping in Grizzly country. If you search this forum it's filled with guys in Grizzly country that have interactions with bears...False charges, sprays used, defensive shoots etc.... To say that you shouldn't be concerned about bears in those areas isn't sound advice.

It's extremely unfortunate that a good man was killed. It was probably preventable and hopefully people will exercise more caution in Grizzly country.

jmez

WKR
Also gets heated when the bear country experts use hypocritical blanket statements as well. If we're to believe the grizzly expert the guide should have stayed home as well.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
To be fair, the client wasn't watching out for anything but his own hide and left the outfitter to die. If any lessons can be gleaned, the inexperienced tourist-hunters should stick to their tree stands. A good family man died thanks to a coward with deep pockets that should of stayed were he belonged.

To be fair, one could also say the guide failed himself by relying on an inexperienced tree stand sitting tourist. Carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
Hahaha! It's rather funny and ironic that the guy from New York lashes back the hardest. Tell me again how I missed the mark. Continue to enjoy your guided hunts in my home state, bud.
There is only one point here--- if you dont know what your doing, are unprepared, and fail to remain constantly aware then you should probably rethink hunting in one of the most concentrated areas for grizzly. No amount of online reading, money, expensive gear, and bear spray will save you from ignorance and/or the inability to act.

The guide is responsible for himself and the client. This is a case where having a gun didn’t help. It is a tragedy, but at the end of the relying on a person who is paying you because they cannot do it themselves is ridiculous.

Outlaw99

WKR
K1, where’s that photo of the gun on the wing from in your avatar? Is that your gun on some sort of fly in hunt in Wyoming?

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
What we have learned....

-K1United doesn't like non-resident hunters in Wyoming.
-If you have money and live in Florida maybe you should charter a fishing boat.
-If you live in NY you're not allowed to have an opinion.
-Bears will kill you.

Outlaw99

WKR
Whoa! I’ve never hunted Wyoming. Never indulged any bear knowledge that I don’t pretend to have....
Lmao! It's Alaska, buddy. Another place you tree stand warriors should stay out of.

I was just asking about that pic....I guess I should have started a new thread for that. Lol. Carry on. Appreciate all the great info

brsnow

WKR
Last time I was in WY I noticed the meth/opioid issues plaguing the state. It was more troubling than bear issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seth00

FNG
New user here on the forum. I live in western WY. The guide who was killed lived in my town and many of my friends knew him well. All I’ll say is that all of us carry 44mags or 10mm glocks when we’re out in the woods. The grizzlies are out of control in this area and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere without my sidearm attached to my side, with a round in the chamber.