Wyoming group application draw odds question

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure the best way to ask this. Here’s a hypothetical.... my friend and I each have 5 pp and are looking at a unit with 50% draw odds. If we apply individually, statistically one of us would draw (yes, a coin can flip heads 10 times in a row, and point creep not taken into consideration here). If we apply as a group, are we lowering our odds to 25%, or would it be 50% still that we’d both draw. We don’t necessarily care that we both get tags, so if we apply individually and only one of us gets drawn, we’d both be “hunting” together. Just wondering odds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50% ish still... As long as there’s plenty of tags where the extra person doesn’t affect that or you don’t draw the last tag. If that makes sense.

Riplip

WKR
No you are not lowering your odds since you have the same number of points. A party application is treated as one application and assigned one application number. Same as if you were applying individually as Wyoming will issue the all of the party tags (up to 6 people) if the application is drawn.

wapitibob

WKR
Party apps are not combined although the results are the same, every app goes into the draw individually but each party member has the same points and random numbers so all draw. You can see the individualized party apps in the draw reports; all 1st choice apps are listed and tags issued are never more than 1st choice applicants.

Last edited:

Broadhead

FNG
Wyoming is one of the only states where it makes sense to apply as a party. As long as you have the same number of points as your buddy, you have the same odds as if you applied individually. Wyoming over allocates the number of tags if the last application drawn is a party application. For instance, if there is only 1 tag available and you and your buddies application is drawn, Wyoming will issue 2 tags when there should have only been 1 issued. To my knowledge Wyoming is the only state that does this.

Laramie

WKR
Adding to the posts above- If you both apply individually with the same number of points, there would be better chance that one of you is drawn since you have 2 applications in. As mentioned above, if applying as a party you only get one application number in the drawing.

So in coil flip terms, you each get a flip individually when applying separately or you get one flip for the two of you in a party.

Adding to the posts above- If you both apply individually with the same number of points, there would be better chance that one of you is drawn since you have 2 applications in. As mentioned above, if applying as a party you only get one application number in the drawing.

So in coil flip terms, you each get a flip individually when applying separately or you get one flip for the two of you in a party.
Exactly! If you don’t mind just one guy hunting and you’ll both go you might as well have two names in the hat.

Last edited: