Wyoming group points question.

Bljc34

FNG
New to the heading West for a hunt scene. I would like to buy group points for myself and my 2 kids to hunt in 2022/2023. My question is if I buy group points, can I enter the draw as an individual in 2021 without using the points?
I would like to go out by myself next year to see if we would need a guide when We take the group trip.
Thanks

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
My understanding is, you can all apply individually and I'd you want to go as a group, you apply that way.
But, it seems like you're trying to have group points and individual points, I don't believe that's possible.

OP
B

Bljc34

FNG
Thanks for the reply. I’m not trying to get individual points for myself for next year. I would like to start accumulating group points for 2022/2023 but I would like to enter the draw as an individual without points for 2021.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's only individual points if you apply as a group everyone's individual points are added together and then divided by the number of members of the group. If you draw a first choice tag you'll lose your points.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

HuntNTag

WKR
Everyone applies for their own point. If you apply today, you can get points going into next years draw. If you don’t hunt next year, you can get another point next year. In 2022, you would each have 2 points. Wyoming will average points so if there are 3 people in the draw with 2 points each, you will have a total of 6 points under your group application. The 6 get divided by 3 so in your group the average would be 2. Anything that you apply for that would be a two point unit or less would essentially be a guarantee draw for you in that group application. If you have any questions please feel free to shoot me a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bljc34

FNG
So we buy points as separate people and when the time comes to apply for the hunt, we just apply as a group?
So I could burn my point for next year and they would keep theirs until we apply as a group?

HuntNTag

WKR
So we buy points as separate people and when the time comes to apply for the hunt, we just apply as a group?
So I could burn my point for next year and they would keep theirs until we apply as a group?

That’s correct. But remember if you burn your points, they would have 2 each and you would likely only have 1 which would lower the average less than 2 so you wouldn’t draw in a unit that would need 2+points.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everyone applies for their own point. If you apply today, you can get points going into next years draw. If you don’t hunt next year, you can get another point next year. In 2022, you would each have 2 points. Wyoming will average points so if there are 3 people in the draw with 2 points each, you will have a total of 6 points under your group application. The 6 get divided by 3 so in your group the average would be 2. Anything that you apply for that would be a two point unit or less would essentially be a guarantee draw for you in that group application. If you have any questions please feel free to shoot me a PM

This is not true. You don't get a point the year you apply unless you don't draw a first choice tag.

If you buy no points this year your application will apply in the 0 group
If you buy a point this year your application will be in the 1 point group
You'll never accumulate more than 1 point in 365 days

HuntNTag

WKR
This is not true. You don't get a point the year you apply unless you don't draw a first choice tag.

I apologize if this was misunderstood. I was meaning if he goes in today to apply for points. Points period is until November 2nd.

You are correct though that in Wyoming, if you apply you still need to go in to apply for points if you didn’t draw.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I apologize if this was misunderstood. I was meaning if he goes in today to apply for points. Points period is until November 2nd.

You are correct though that in Wyoming, if you apply you still need to go in to apply for points if you didn’t draw.

I believe we are saying thing and i did misunderstand your post, I apologise.

The number of points you have at the time of application is the number you apply with. You don't get another one for the year until AFTER the draw is over.

I edited above but will also put it here.

If you buy a point this year you'll have ONE for your the application next year. You can NOT have two until after the draw next year.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bljc34

FNG
Thanks guys. Basically if I have points, I can’t apply without using my points if I get drawn? So you can’t stockpile points and still apply as a person without points.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys. Basically if I have points, I can’t apply without using my points if I get drawn? So you can’t stockpile points and still apply as a person without points.
Yes you can apply for second choice for the hunt unit you want and not use your points but obviously your chances of drawing a tag are greatly reduced.

wapitibob

WKR
To expand on unlucky's post, at this time of year you can only buy points.
Buy points before the deadline Monday and you'll have 1 ea for the 2021 draw.
Buy points during the points purchase period in 2021 and you'll have 2 for 2022, provided you don't apply for a hunt and draw your 1st choice on a regular/special full price license. Reduced price cow/calf and doe/fawn licenses don't use points.
WY rounds to 4 decimal places so, depending on where you want to hunt as a group, you may want to make sure you don't use your points in 2021 as you'd have zero for 2022 and the group of 3 would have 1.3333.

OP
B

Bljc34

FNG
If you get drawn for a hunt, can you still buy a point later that year?

Yes you can apply for second choice for the hunt unit you want and not use your points but obviously your chances of drawing a tag are greatly reduced.

OP: You have a solid plan going. For now, all you need to do is set up WY F&G accounts for each and buy everyone's points before the deadline, then make your first decision next spring.

For hunting solo in 2021, can either burn your 1 point or roll the dice (as real unlucky describes), then continue to buy points each year per eligible hunter. Note that you (you only) won't be able to buy a 'lope point in 2021 if you draw a tag using a point in June 2021.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you get drawn for a hunt, can you still buy a point later that year?
Yes.

If you get drawn for a second or third choice tag, you can still buy a point that year. @Hill Difficulty is correct if you draw your first choice you are not eligible to buy a point that year.

@Bljc34 buy WY preference points for you and your kids today. I understand the WY system and the posts in this thread are somewhat confusing. BUY THE POINTS NOW and figure out the system later. The bucks below were shot over the last three years on 2nd and 3rd choice WY tags (meaning I needed 0 points to draw the tags) and I will have 7 points going in to next years draw. Good luck.

86CCBA8A-91F9-4C5A-B241-8931C3A21FF6.jpeg63152BF3-884C-47CB-A0D3-417A2F9D4C01.jpeg39DBA885-A246-4997-A1F4-B12EB7C394EA.jpeg

Last edited: