Wyoming Hunt

morgaj1

WKR
My son and I are going on a guided mule deer and antelope hunt the last week of October. While we are experienced hunters, this will be our first western hunt. We have been practicing shooting off the bipod in various positions and are comfortable. My question is around what clothing and gear to bring. We are set up for tree stand whitetail hunting, so will probably need a few things. The guide will be sending his gear list later this month, but wanted to get your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on where you are going in WY, temps could be 20 degrees to 70 degrees. +1 on the leather gloves.

Last time I hunted the last week of October in WY it was -13F and -9F two consecutive mornings as we headed out, with winds gusting to 35 and steady in the 20s. I think it made it to +9 during the day. What started as a camp hunt turned into a hotel basecamp hunt.

Buy cold/wind weather gear now. Too late if you wait long enough to get an accurate weather report.

Watch the weather and pack accordingly.

My one-legged hunting buddy, all bundled up (gloves off strictly to take photos; you can see the phone in his hand).
20191028_173027.jpg

The ride home each evening.
20191030_132707.jpg

Last edited:
Things that worked awesomely:
- Wool mittens that folded back to expose fingers when needed
- Leather over-mittens like Randy Newberg wears. Only $20 or so. Get XL to cover your wool mittens. Test fit before you go! You can always resize in advance.
- Knee pads (mine were built into my Timberline pants). Little tiny cactus covered the ground. Gloves and knee pads mandatory.
- Lip balm and face lotion to keep from cracking like a dry lake bed
- Full face wool balaclava x 2. That wind destroyed my ears and nose when uncovered. Long version that goes down below neckline worked well.

As others have said, leather gloves and knee pads are a must. The first time I hunted in WY, I didn't bring knee pads and paid the price for it. Try them out before going hunting, as some are just not comfortable and rub like hell. Be repaired for cold temps, but also don't forget layers for warm days. I've hunted in long sleeve t-shirts and then also hunted in 4ft of snow. I usually have a small water bladder too.

I also like using walking stick(s). They actually help a lot and have many uses.

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
Everything above is exactly as I experienced my first two years in WY being guided for antelope and mule deer then last year headed out for a DIY hunt with some buddies on BLM land for doe antelope and deer. First two years in mid October near Ranchester it was COLD and snowy, with the wind howling. Last year it was freakin’ 85-90’degrees during the days I hunted and dead still.

Bring any combo of clothing you can imagine to cover what the weather may do and boots that are broken in and you can put some miles on walking. With that being said, I got so burned out the second year being guided as ALL we did for a few days straight sun up to sun down was drive around endlessly in the truck while the “guide” looked for game. He finally spotted a small mule deer buck and told my hunting partner to jump out and shoot it. Yeah, never again will we end up with a guided hunt like that.

Gear aside, my biggest suggestion to you right away is make it known to your outfitter and guide how you want to hunt. Drive to the edge and stalk to a high point to glass? Road hunt until you see game on the horizon and make a plan of approach? All good and the opposite of what we were subjected to which was basically, “there’s one there. Jump out of the truck and shoot him off the hood before he gets too far from the road!” F’ that.

Regarding shooting, I ended up shooting a great mule deer buck off sticks while standing due to the height of the local sage and ground brush. I’d suggest you get some time in on some shooting sticks standing and know your limitations. Also if you’re a Midwesterner like me and it sounds like you may be, definitely run your load through a ballistic calculator like StrelokPro or the Hornady ballistic calculator to account for the altitude. ESPECIALLY if you’re making longer range shots. Also a Kestrel wind meter is handy to have as well.

Lastly, have fun! The past three years lit a fire in me for Western hunting and this year I’m hunting deer, antelope and elk in WY and deer and antelope in MT. I can’t get enough!!! PM me for any more feedback. Good luck!

JRMiller

WKR
Last time I hunted last week of October in WY it was -13F and -9F two consecutive mornings as we headed out, with winds gusting to 35 and steady in the 20s. I think it made it to +9 during the day. What stared as a camp hunt turned into a hotel basecamp hunt.

Buy cold/wind weather gear now. Too late if you wait long enough to get an accurate weather report.

Watch the weather and pack accordingly.

My one-legged hunting buddy bundled up (gloves off strictly to take photos; you can see the phone in his hand).
View attachment 306020

The ride home each evening.
View attachment 306021
I think I weathered the same season, it was -12 in my pop up trailer that year, not fun.

Be prepared for absolutely anything.

Layers...Like others have said no idea what the weather will be until you get there..I just add them as needed.. Make sure you have something for wind. Wind in WY can go hard into the paint.

Rich M

WKR
Been to WY and CO.

Dressed this way:
jeans (yes - jeans)
long johns as necessary
breathable rain pants (in rain, dew, and snow)
sweatshirt and/or flannel
vest - fleece and puffy
breathable raincoat
puffy jacket
fleece beanie - rain hood as needed
those fingerless gloves/mitten combos - wool
non insulated and insulated Pronghorn boots

Hunted from -x to about 50 degrees, and still calm to real windy.
1030191618.jpg

Had most of this stuff already and just kinda ran with it.

You probably don't need to buy much for the trip. If anything.

Good advice, Pay attention too lip balms as they are not created equally my first wyoming hunt developed a bad case of wind burn especially on my lips, chap stick was a no brainer until it did not work well, talked too my pharmiscist she said use aquaphor lip balm there will be a tube in my pack this year.

Erict

WKR
Sunglasses and a good lens cloth or wipes for binos/glasses have not yet been mentioned. On cold days I like to carry a few disposable hand warmers.