Wyoming hunts

Forgive me if this post seems stupid. When it comes to hunting outside my home state I find it difficult to understand each states different hunts/ seasons. For example, in Wy are you applying for the Region or individual Unit on a general rifle tag? Are there Units or Regions that a nonresident can draw every year? Ive looked at the Wy game and fish website but am still just as confused.

Forgive me if this post seems stupid. When it comes to hunting outside my home state I find it difficult to understand each states different hunts/ seasons. For example, in Wy are you applying for the Region or individual Unit on a general rifle tag? Are there Units or Regions that a nonresident can draw every year? Ive looked at the Wy game and fish website but am still just as confused.
Hey man, I don't know if someone PM'd you but hope I can help - and I'm doing this here in the thread so future folks can find this thread too! Not a stupid question. I'd say it's not straight forward if you aren't familiar with it yet.

Region tags allow you to hunt all the units within that region for which there is a general hunt for residents.

You may apply for Limited Quota hunts, which are limited for residents as well, and those are only for the dates and unit(s) that are specified.

Good example is unit 128. I think it's a safe one to use because it's a really tough unit with lots of Wilderness and then it becomes one of the hardest to draw tags with the limited quota hunt so I don't think this will blow it out any more than it is...

Okay, so 128 is in Region L. So if you apply for Region L you can hunt the general rifle season there, Oct. 1-15., plus the 5 other units in Region L. You have to pay attention to regulations in each unit, but you can hunt in those others, too.

If you applied and drew the limited quota hunt in 128 (the type-1 tag) then you can ONLY hunt that unit and only during those type-1 specified dates of Nov. 1-20.

That make sense?

OP
E
Hey man, I don't know if someone PM'd you but hope I can help - and I'm doing this here in the thread so future folks can find this thread too! Not a stupid question. I'd say it's not straight forward if you aren't familiar with it yet.

Region tags allow you to hunt all the units within that region for which there is a general hunt for residents.

You may apply for Limited Quota hunts, which are limited for residents as well, and those are only for the dates and unit(s) that are specified.

Good example is unit 128. I think it's a safe one to use because it's a really tough unit with lots of Wilderness and then it becomes one of the hardest to draw tags with the limited quota hunt so I don't think this will blow it out any more than it is...

Okay, so 128 is in Region L. So if you apply for Region L you can hunt the general rifle season there, Oct. 1-15., plus the 5 other units in Region L. You have to pay attention to regulations in each unit, but you can hunt in those others, too.

If you applied and drew the limited quota hunt in 128 (the type-1 tag) then you can ONLY hunt that unit and only during those type-1 specified dates of Nov. 1-20.

That make sense?

Thank you. I think I got it kinda figured out. I was confused because my buddy is a new resident to Wy and was telling me about applying for a specific unit for a general tag. Not knowing that nonresidents apply for the whole region for a general tag. Correct me please if I am still wrong lol.

NUGGET

WKR
There is no general tag regarding deer for non residents. Just elk.

Also be care in some regions like W it shows units 101 and 102. Those are limited quota units You cannot hunt those with your region W tag. Here is an example:

848722DE-14C9-44F4-A212-6DAC611C196B.jpeg

So an example of applying for a tag could go something like this:

1 choice region G 2 choice region W 3rd choice unit 89

You can have a mix of regions or unit numbers for applications. Does that make sense?

NUGGET

WKR
Also you have till nov 2nd to buy points. I highly recommend it. If you have questions shoot me a PM. More than happy to walk you through the process.

Espratt

FNG
I’ll be at 8 points next year for deer and antelope. I’ve kind of made my bed now with having that many points for deer just holding out for a limited draw unit. What’s the best limited draw hunt these days?

OP
E
Yes, I’ve already purchased a deer and elk point. Thanks
I think I know where I’m going to apply for deer. Guessing I won’t draw it this year with one point. If I put down an easier region or unit as second or third choice and get that tag do I loose my points?
Also, hoping to get a cow elk tag if anyone has any recommendations. My entire local hunting grounds that I love have been obliterated by fire. Just looking to Hunt next year and hopefully get some meat.

NUGGET

WKR
Yes, I’ve already purchased a deer and elk point. Thanks
I think I know where I’m going to apply for deer. Guessing I won’t draw it this year with one point. If I put down an easier region or unit as second or third choice and get that tag do I loose my points?
Also, hoping to get a cow elk tag if anyone has any recommendations. My entire local hunting grounds that I love have been obliterated by fire. Just looking to Hunt next year and hopefully get some meat.

You only lose your points if you draw your first choice. If you want to hunt cow elk look at the reduced price cow/calf draw.

WYGFD has a great website that is one of the easier ones to use IMHO.

NUGGET

WKR
I’ll be at 8 points next year for deer and antelope. I’ve kind of made my bed now with having that many points for deer just holding out for a limited draw unit. What’s the best limited draw hunt these days?
Which "best" unit are you interested in?

The best unit according to Hunting Fool/Epic?

The best unit for deer numbers?

The best unit for big bucks?

Figure out what you want out of a hunt and go from there. Some people the highest priority is size of rack, some its solitude. Some it may be access. Dial in your parameters a little better and you're more likely to get a response that is helpful.

street

WKR
Anyone had trouble with WY preference point viewing site? I log in and just shows draw results.

Espratt

FNG
Which "best" unit are you interested in?

The best unit according to Hunting Fool/Epic?

The best unit for deer numbers?

The best unit for big bucks?

Figure out what you want out of a hunt and go from there. Some people the highest priority is size of rack, some its solitude. Some it may be access. Dial in your parameters a little better and you're more likely to get a response that is helpful.
Well I’d defiantly be looking at the hunt that could produce a big one.

I have picked up sheds in pressured areas that I've hunted for years way bigger than what I've ever seen attached to a skull. So either someone is dropping nice brown sheds off of their pack or there are big bucks/bulls hiding in most general units that didnt get killed. More preference points just means more years that you didn't get to hunt that state. The sooner you go on the hunt the sooner you can go on the next.

Those Stuck N the Rut boys on YouTube do a good job of keeping me humble with the animals they kill in general units.