Wyoming Jackrabbits in August....

Tod osier

WKR
We (wife, son and I) are going to be spending a couple days in August driving through Wyoming going to Montana from Colorado. I’m looking for a suggestion of an area to try for jacks a couple mornings to get the boy one. Looking for some intel or flat out a spot if someone will share a good area in WY. I can call the biologists, but not having a thing to narrow the search down other than Wyoming and jacks, makes it hard to get started in the right direction.

I have a lab that has hunted upland birds all over and likes jackrabbits (all fur really) a little too much already, so I’ve never shot a rabbit or jack over him to not encourage him. He is getting on in age and I’m not worried about encouraging bad habits anymore. I’d guess the son would probably shoot one and that would be good for him to scratch the itch.

As I understand it no license is needed, just hunter ed, which he has.

wytx

WKR
No "R" in August for rabbit hunting, lol.
Jacks are scattered all around the state .
You'll be travelling along I-25? If so hit up some walk in areas in Eastern Wyo. Make sure they are open for predator hunting and/or small game.
No license for jacks but needed for cottontails and snowshoe hares.
Short drive west at Wheatland gets you onto some BLM and /or state sections that may have some jacks.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Thanks, I-25 would be the most direct, but I was considering I-80 and then N on 191 Rock Springs. We like that route and the last time I saw good numbers of jacks in WY was in the Fontenelle area a couple years ago. Either way we are driving trough a lot of WY.

Jackrabbits seem like one of those animals that are around all the time except when you go looking for them.

wytx

WKR
You might just email a biologist and ask if they are in a boom or bust cycle for the area you're driving through. I would think you should little problem finding any out that way.
Some state and small BLM spots west of Laramie along and south of I-80 that I have seen jacks in the past. Out on the short grass plains and short sage. You could stay in Laramie and hit them up within an hour or so of town.

Fatcamp

WKR
LOL. The Meat eater they released in that last group on Netflix/Prime he shot one bird hunting. Took him awhile to realize he was covered in fleas.

😂

4ester

WKR
Rabbits are definitely in the low population of their cycle right now in western Wyoming. Very few around this area this winter, about the same for coyotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Rabbits are definitely in the low population of their cycle right now in western Wyoming. Very few around this area this winter, about the same for coyotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks the info I was looking for. I can call bios, but there are a lot of offices that I could drive by, narrowing them down a bit will help. Appreciate it.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
You might just email a biologist and ask if they are in a boom or bust cycle for the area you're driving through. I would think you should little problem finding any out that way.
Some state and small BLM spots west of Laramie along and south of I-80 that I have seen jacks in the past. Out on the short grass plains and short sage. You could stay in Laramie and hit them up within an hour or so of town.

I can contact bios for sure, I'm looking to narrow down a bit based on some intel. Big state adn we are driving the length of it with a couple major route options. Thanks!