Wyoming landowner doe/fawn tags

RAU

FNG
I found a landowner that said over the phone yesterday he’d let me and my son hunt for what I thought was a very reasonable trespass fee for 3 days. This unit can’t be drawn for a buck tag without a bunch of preference points. ( of which I have 0) but seems like real good chance of drawing with the $614 special license. The landowner said “you can have all the doe tags you want” I asked what do we get them from you and he replied “no you get them from Wyoming game and fish”. So I start trying to research landowner doe/ fawn tags and I’m struggling a bit. The landowner doe/fawn antelope tag want me to check whether I’m the landowner myself, a parent, grandparent sibling or lineal descendent at checkout, I’m obviously none of the above to this rancher. Am I missing something? It appears to me I still need to apply for nonresident doe/fawn tags through drawing. Is this right?

After talking to this rancher yesterday I came up with the plan to buy the special any antelope tag for my son for $614 and several doe tags between us. I’m thinking this isn’t how this will work now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and sorry for rambling

ericwh

WKR
Doe/fawn draw is separate and somewhat unrelated to the buck draw. Past season draw odds for each tag can be found on the Wyoming website for that unit.

So depending on the odds, you could still get the special tag for your son and some doe tags. Does that answer your question?

ericwh

WKR
When you do the application there is a check box where you can say you don't want the doe tags if you don't draw a buck tag or something of that nature.

Bookhead

FNG
You cant buy a landowner tag in wyoming they are for landowners only and can not be transferred

OP
R

RAU

FNG
I thought I understood until I talked to that rancher on the phone yesterday. I got the impression from him that numerous doe tags would be easy to get. When I look at the doe fawn drawing odds I see total quota of 214, first choice applicants is 184, second choice applicants is 115. Maybe I’m not smart enough to read that table but to me it doesn’t look like drawing even 1 tag is a slam dunk.

The buck any antelope tag drawing preference point tables seem pretty easy to understand in comparison

Bookhead

FNG
Yes that means everyone who put in for a doe tag got one first choice and the remainder of tags after that went to second choice applicants. If the draw is the same you will be guaranteed doe tags if you apply for them first choice

wapitibob

WKR
A cpl points;
The reduced price demand report only shows applicants, it doesn't show how many of those applied for 2 licenses, so a quota of 214 and 184 1st choice apps is not a guarantee.
Secondly, make sure that LO is within the valid area for that license.
There are no leftovers for that license so you'll only draw the max of two in the initial draw.

Rich M

WKR
If you apply separately, one of you will hopefully draw a doe tag or two - you can apply for 2, maybe more tags as first choice. If you are right, your son should get a special buck tag - sounds good. Go for it. Best case you guys get multiple does and 1 buck, worst case 1 buck.

The farmer probably remembers just a few years ago when there were leftover licenses for antelope seemingly everywhere.

How many hunters does the rancher allow on the ranch at any given time?