Wyoming MD as a backup to Colorado

Mw01313

FNG
The closer the Colorado draw gets the more worried I am that I may not draw. I have more points than were required last year to draw the unit I want, but can't help worrying. I had to take last year off due to a new baby, so I definitely don't want to miss a trip west this year. Looks like Wyoming deer will be the only feasible tag for me should I get left out for a Colorado tag. I have done some research into the Wyoming units and what may be available to me. I don't have any questions concerning units or even parts of the state. My questions are more related to terrain, elevation, weather etc during the October seasons. I only have three points so I know I won't be in a primo unit, but would at least like to be in the right portion of a mediocre unit. Any suggestions or bits of info will be appreciated. Please PM me if you would rather not discuss on the open forum. Thanks.

I think it might be difficult for anyone to advise you on what the Elevation and Terrain will be like without knowing at least a general region of where you might be. Wyoming is a big place. Weather in October could be as variable as it gets, same goes for Colorado. I would just prepare the same way for either State, with maybe an expectation of more wind in WY.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a leftover Buck tag in WY in 2017 or so. Was leftover for a reason as winter kill had hammered the area and lots of tags but not much public land for the number of tags issued. Why pick up the tag? Could hunt early November for Mule deer and whitetail bucks and had a lead on access to some private land that had irrigated crops. Saw lots of deer including bucks one that private land. Shot the best buck saw in 5 days of hunting and was a mule deer 3 x 4 at about 140 inches gross. I had a ball seeing so many deer, no orange vests on every ridge with the pressure of brown and down when passed on a buck. Stayed in motel. Warm food each night. Warm shower, too, Scratched my itch as am more about just getting out of the office that punching the tag with a giant.

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

FNG
Thanks Nick. Looking at back at my original post, I wasn't clear on what I was asking. During the October seasons have bucks started to move down into lower elevations? Or do they (without heavy snow) tend to stay higher up closer to summer range? I have been looking at the maps to try and pick a region with both high and lower elevations. Wilderness limits the higher stuff in most places. In short i guess my question was more about what are the bucks doing in a normal October in Wyoming. I was vague on the location because i know guys hate when someone just says " i have a tag in unit XYZ . Where do i need to go?" Was trying to be sure i didnt come across that way. I guess you would call the general area i am looking at west central WYO.

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

FNG
Tree,
That sounds like a pretty good deal. I would definitely be more excited if i was looking at November dates. Most of what i can find within my reach is October though. Hopefully the odds don't screw me in Colorado and i will be hunting November down there. I have spent a lot more time in CO and hunted there a fair amount. I am probably worrying for nothing but hate the idea of having to apply in a state ive never hunted on short notice.

4rcgoat

WKR
My son is a dedicated Mule deer hunter, we take good bucks every year in October, only a 9 day season for rifle. All the bucks he has taken have been around 7500ft and above.

LaHunter

WKR
Thanks Nick. Looking at back at my original post, I wasn't clear on what I was asking. During the October seasons have bucks started to move down into lower elevations? Or do they (without heavy snow) tend to stay higher up closer to summer range? I have been looking at the maps to try and pick a region with both high and lower elevations. Wilderness limits the higher stuff in most places. In short i guess my question was more about what are the bucks doing in a normal October in Wyoming. I was vague on the location because i know guys hate when someone just says " i have a tag in unit XYZ . Where do i need to go?" Was trying to be sure i didnt come across that way. I guess you would call the general area i am looking at west central WYO.
In the NF areas that I have hunted in mid October, the deer are in survival mode and in whatever cover is available: timber, topography, brush, etc. Some areas in WY, the deer begin their migration in early-mid October. In general, in mid October the deer are typically out of their high country summer / September range and have moved into their 'transition zone' which offers plenty of cover and security. This area could be relatively close to their summer range or it could be miles from their summer range. Another thing you have to factor in during October is hunting pressure, which is as big of a factor as any if hunting public land. Hunting pressure can make the deer 'vanish' pretty quick.

Success rates are pretty good for Wyoming rifle hunts. You can find deer from the winter range up to the summer range. With three points you can pick a “decent” unit with plenty of public land and you will have a good hunt.

some years it’s warm and dry, T shirt weather. Some years it’s snowing every day. Try to make it out for scouting/archery hunt and you can put yourself ahead of the game.

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

FNG
Thanks for the info guys. Yall have made me feel a lot better about my situation. At least if CO doesnt work out i wont be completely blind when i apply to WY. One last question, I currently have three points. When i apply can i buy a 4th and apply at 4 pts.? Seems i read that somewhere, but i am not sure