Wyoming Moose

BrandonH

FNG
Ive got 15 preference points for Wyoming Moose- how many more points will I need to draw? Anybody been on a hunt recently? Hows the moose population in the Cowboy state?

bradb

WKR
If they change to 90/10 like there talking it could be a long time. You just have to search draw odds on each unit and see what you have a chance at and what you dont'. Some of the lesser units you are close with the current system. Units that are considered the better units your a long ways away. But you could always draw in a unit with random draw tags.

LJ Buck

WKR
They have a couple decent units on the west side that don’t use up max points. But if you want the best unit it will be a while. But those units are amazing, not my style of hunting but huge bulls.

wytx

WKR
Go by the brewery in Pinedale. We know the new brewer and his beers will be on tap by fall.

Big338

FNG
Area 25 type 4.

The brewery is very good!.
Oatmeal pancakes at Heart and Soul Cafe are amazing!!! Everything there is great actually.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_20200715_161401130.jpg
I got this guy in 2019 in a unit that takes 14 points in western WY. But he's only 35" wide and my only criteria was I wanted one with nice paddles. I knew of 5 or 6 other bulls that year, but this was the biggest I came across. A 45" in this unit is a monster, but I hear those higher point area that's more of the norm and they get some 50"+

Trial153

WKR
15 points isn’t going to get you a bull tag in WY at this point. And it going to be even a more up hill battle for you to draw after the new tag allocations.

Looking for advice! I’m 22 years old looking to get in on a moose hunt. Should I take the preference point route? I’m looking long term, and going on a once in a lifetime hunt! What’s everyone thinking? Any advice is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big338

FNG
I agree with WI Shedhead I used my 13 pts because I would have never drawn a bull especially if they change up point system like they want

I agree with WI Shedhead I used my 13 pts because I would have never drawn a bull especially if they change up point system like they want

I’m uneducated in the potential points system change! Could you elaborate on what they may change it too?! Thanks!

BAKPAKR

WKR
I drew a western Wyoming tag with 17 points in 2018. Unfortunately, I think 15 points would be sort of a No Man’s Land now.

Looking for advice! I’m 22 years old looking to get in on a moose hunt. Should I take the preference point route? I’m looking long term, and going on a once in a lifetime hunt! What’s everyone thinking? Any advice is appreciated!

Absolutely do not mess with WY- huge waste of time and money! Small shiras moose anyway.

By far your most affordable option is Canada! I have a hunt I found for $4500 in BC. You can easily find good deals in Alberta, Newfoundland for similar prices.

As mentioned Alaska DIY would be about the same price for a regular area but way lower success rate. High success drop hunts are going $8-10k with multiple years waitlist. Fully guided $15-20k.

You are late to the L48 moose point game- will cost you about $1000 to apply in every state with moose every year, with your odds of ever drawing 1 in 100 years if you are lucky and live to be that old!

Do the math, buy a hunt and go for less next year!