Wyoming mule deer info

Cvmilo

FNG
Help everyone. I’ve been lurking on this site for a while I figured it’s time to register to ask some questions. I’m a Canadian and planning a hunt in Wyoming for 2022. As being from Canada I don’t have the time to scout so I have a few questions.
To start, being a non resident if I purchase a general licence/ tag, can that be used in all units that are general no draw or do I have to specify what unit and stick to it?

I’m planning to hunt it’s units 47, 51, 52 and maybe 53. If anyone has experience in these places I’d like to exchange some messages trying to learn some info about these places. I’m not looking for directions of where to find deer but have some questions on what the terrain is like, water availability, and wondering if the tactics I’m thinking are a good strategy.

If anyone can help that’d be great.

Thanks

jwelders

FNG
Help everyone. I’ve been lurking on this site for a while I figured it’s time to register to ask some questions. I’m a Canadian and planning a hunt in Wyoming for 2022. As being from Canada I don’t have the time to scout so I have a few questions.
To start, being a non resident if I purchase a general license/ tag, can that be used in all units that are general no draw or do I have to specify what unit and stick to it?

I’m planning to hunt it’s units 47, 51, 52 and maybe 53. If anyone has experience in these places I’d like to exchange some messages trying to learn some info about these places. I’m not looking for directions of where to find deer but have some questions on what the terrain is like, water availability, and wondering if the tactics I’m thinking are a good strategy.

If anyone can help that’d be great.

Thanks
You would need to apply for a region R tag. It's good for area 41,46,47,50,51,52 and 53. You do not have to declare which unit to hunt, you have access to all in the region. It looks like it takes 2 points to draw this tag. You can buy preference point for this year. I believe most of this country if fairly open so main tactics would be spot and stalk with long glassing sessions.

JRMiller

WKR
As mentioned it would be region R which now unfortunately takes several points as a non res.
I’ve hunted it twice, the best time is just after the first decent fall storm as it gets the animals up and moving.

OP
C

Cvmilo

FNG
As mentioned it would be region R which now unfortunately takes several points as a non res.
I’ve hunted it twice, the best time is just after the first decent fall storm as it gets the animals up and moving.
Ok I’m not 100% familiar with how the drawing system works there I have 3 points currently. I wasn’t aware that I had to draw for a general area, thank you. I plan on rifle hunting if at all possible. I was thinking of skirting around the edges of the big horn national forest and or skirting around the edges of private property with crops. From looking at the satellite images it looks pretty barren between the big horn forest and the private land along the big horn creek. I’m guess there will be more game in those areas than in between. I’m guessing the hills along the edges of the big horn forest will hold more animals than the open flats. Are the creeks dry that time of year? Do they only flow with rain? I plan on hiking and hunting, from looking at the satellite images it looks pretty dry.
thanks again for you help

You might want to try hunting whitetail deer with the chance of a mule deer in Region A. A high success area in NE Wyoming near the Black Hills. It offers a good chance at taking a deer and plenty of public land or Walk in Areas offering free public access. Montana would also be a good choice if your driving down from Canada.

OP
C

Cvmilo

FNG
You might want to try hunting whitetail deer with the chance of a mule deer in Region A. A high success area in NE Wyoming near the Black Hills. It offers a good chance at taking a deer and plenty of public land or Walk in Areas offering free public access. Montana would also be a good choice if your driving down from Canada.
I am planning on getting after pronghorn and then chase deer after that. I really like your suggestion about region a I’ll be looking into that, Thanks

cking13

FNG
Mule deer can be found throughout region R. Population has been declining from what Ive read but theres still deer to be had. Lots of road hunters in the BLM section and most shoot the first forkhorn they see from my experience there. Never hunted region A but I dont think I would burn three points on either region.

OP
C

Cvmilo

FNG
Mule deer can be found throughout region R. Population has been declining from what Ive read but theres still deer to be had. Lots of road hunters in the BLM section and most shoot the first forkhorn they see from my experience there. Never hunted region A but I dont think I would burn three points on either region.
Thanks for the input. I know nothing of the game numbers in any of the areas. What I’m looking for is a place that has a good number of animals. I don’t care about inches but would like to bring some meat home and have a good experience hunting in a new and beautiful area. I plan on backpacking away from the roads and way to get to open type of country suitable for glassing. Would you have any recommendations?

cking13

FNG
Thanks for the input. I know nothing of the game numbers in any of the areas. What I’m looking for is a place that has a good number of animals. I don’t care about inches but would like to bring some meat home and have a good experience hunting in a new and beautiful area. I plan on backpacking away from the roads and way to get to open type of country suitable for glassing. Would you have any recommendations?
If you’re looking for just meat then smoke a whitetail doe close to the ag fields in any of the lower BLM sections. That was my backup plan if I didn’t find what I was looking for in R.