Wyoming Mule Deer Opinion

Carr5vols

WKR
Roksliders need honest feedback and opinion. Would you pay Special Tag price to get unit R or put in random for unit J. If you were looking for 140ish size. I hunted Popes Nose in Colorado last year so distance and elevation from trailhead does not matter. Gob Bless and thank you for your feedback.

Wapiti23

FNG
I don’t think you even need to apply during the regular draw for a Region J tag. It’s been a while since I applied let alone looked but there was always a lot of tags left over after the draw. So I think you are guaranteed a tag through the random draw. Maybe things had changed in the last 8 years, so I could be wrong. I hunted it once and harvested a 140 buck with not a whole lot of problem. Now that doesn’t mean you won’t have to hunt but for me on my experience it wasn’t too bad of a hunt. Lots of private. Mostly elk and whitetail in the mountains. I’d check the broken land on BLM.

wytx

WKR
Region J was about 78% last year with 0 PP and no tags left over.
Days of leftover tags in areas with public access are going away fast.
Mostly mulies in the mountains but some whitetails along the creeks and parts of the region.
Things have changed in J Wapiti23.

Wapiti23

FNG
Region J was about 78% last year with 0 PP and no tags left over.
Days of leftover tags in areas with public access are going away fast.
Mostly mulies in the mountains but some whitetails along the creeks and parts of the region.
Things have changed in J Wapiti23.
Jesus, we never seen mulies in the mountains. Mostly at the bottom. Would see whitetail along the creeks in the mountains. I remember way back when, when there would be 500+ tags left over for the general tag. Pretty eye opening to say the least. Maybe this year I’ll get my LE elk tag for the area and see what the deer are all about now.

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
J is one of the CWD endemic areas. That being said we hunt it every year and the last time we had deer tested none were positive. They say about 25% positives come out of there.

JRMiller

WKR
last season 1 point gave you %100 chance to draw general J.
2 points gave you %100 chance in region R
You might already know that but i had it sitting here from my last seasons notes so thought i would mention

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
last season 1 point gave you %100 chance to draw general J.
2 points gave you %100 chance in region R
You might already know that but i had it sitting here from my last seasons notes so thought i would mention
Yes it is getting worse each year. I was going to pay special tag price and apply for g and h and if not get fall back to region r without burning points.