Wyoming mule deer unit 36

Mike8989

FNG
I have 3 points for Wyoming mule deer looking into unit 36 for 2021. From what I see it should be fairly easy to get away from other hunters in this unit. Does anyone have any experience in this unit? How are the mule deer numbers? Judging by the amount of public land land in this unit it looks decent area to find a mature buck.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
Some decent deer, lots of 2 tracks and oil field roads. With 300 plus resident tags and a short time frame it gets hunted pretty hard. Most of the better country (water/feed) is on private, but they can be just about anywhere. There might be better areas since you already have 3 points as it only takes 1 to draw. Not trying to dissuade you, but as a local who works in that area, I know it pretty well and I don't put in for it. Maybe as a 2nd choice. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Rat

FNG
I've spent some time in this unit and while you can probably fill your tag, with 3 points I would look for a better unit.

OP
Mike8989

Mike8989

FNG
Thanks for the info. I've heard mixed reports about unit 36. I was also looking into unit 79. Looks I could draw 157 but access might be difficult to public land.

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Some decent deer, lots of 2 tracks and oil field roads. With 300 plus resident tags and a short time frame it gets hunted pretty hard. Most of the better country (water/feed) is on private, but they can be just about anywhere. There might be better areas since you already have 3 points as it only takes 1 to draw. Not trying to dissuade you, but as a local who works in that area, I know it pretty well and I don't put in for it. Maybe as a 2nd choice. Let me know if you have any more questions.

One of my buddies and I both have 1 point and were looking at 36. Never been to WY and I’ve been hitting GoHunt hard for the last couple months or so trying to find our best option. So far I’ve come up with 36 and 60 for limited draw and been trying to decide between Area M and Area L. Q seems like a good unit as well but I’m a little concerned that one of us might get skunked even though it’s 90% with 1 point. Do you think 36 and 60 are worth it for opportunity alone, or should we save the point and just go with a general tag? Really looking at getting a good harvest opportunity and experience over trophy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rat

FNG
One of my buddies and I both have 1 point and were looking at 36. Never been to WY and I’ve been hitting GoHunt hard for the last couple months or so trying to find our best option. So far I’ve come up with 36 and 60 for limited draw and been trying to decide between Area M and Area L. Q seems like a good unit as well but I’m a little concerned that one of us might get skunked even though it’s 90% with 1 point. Do you think 36 and 60 are worth it for opportunity alone, or should we save the point and just go with a general tag? Really looking at getting a good harvest opportunity and experience over trophy

Of the areas you mentioned I am only familiar with 36 and M, If I did not have access to private land in M, personally I would go with 36.

OP
Mike8989

Mike8989

FNG
For general draw I would lean toward L or Q based off the research that i have done.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
In region Q only 96, 97, and 98 are general. Region L gives you the option to hunt high country timber country as well as sagebrush. 36 can be good and has a fair number of deer. Area 96 in Q has pretty good deer numbers.

If it was me with 1 point, I would probably do L and hunt 160, 94, and 92. You will have a good time and should see deer in any of the discussed areas

Why wouldn't you put in as a group? If one draws you both do...