Wyoming Mule Deer unit 94

mkelley12

FNG
I am looking to do my first mule deer hunt this year for Rifle. I did some research and am looking at unit 94 in Wyoming. Does anyone have suggestions on the type of hunt that unit is. It looks open / sage brush, I have never hunted that type of terrain but am game for anything. Is there things to look for like areas or type of terrain and things to look out for (snakes/bears).

Might be going solo so will be truck camping or nearby hotel. Just depends on where i end up hunting

Thanks for all the help.

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
94 is mostly really open country. Lots of hills and drains and sagebrush. There are definitely some deer out there but I've not seen a lot of huge deer come out of that unit. I've found there's better luck to be had in 92 and hunt the foothills of the Wind River Range. For unit 94 or 92, you're going to have a Region E general tag anyway so you'll be able to pick your poison.

You're definitely more likely to run into other hunters than snakes and bears. There are rattlesnakes out there but mid October seems late for them (I haven't seen one out there). There are black bears around but most I've seen are on the smaller side and are really skiddish.

I'm in Lander and will be hunting hard and heavy during that general season. Feel free to look me up when you come out.

OP
M

mkelley12

FNG
Thanks for the info. So i can only find one map but it looks like part of the unit i wont be able to hunt since i am a non-resident and no guide. Are there batter maps that show those areas. I have onx but i am not seeing anything for that.
Thanks

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
bdan68 - Good info about the region changes. I wasn't aware of that.

mkelley12 - You can't hunt in federally designated wilderness areas without a guide or resident. The wilderness area in unit 92 is the Popo Agie Wilderness. The boundaries are fairly deep and there are plenty of hunting opportunities within the national forest, BLM, and state lands in 92 without having to go that deep.

OP
M

mkelley12

FNG
Thank you for that. I thought i was going crazy with the regions. Gohunt does not show the changes yet for non residents. Any other tips for 92.. I am pretty sure that will be the unit i go with. If solo i may end up doing hotel for a night or two, any in the area that are cheap and not a complete dump?

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
We have a holiday inn and the Inn of Lander (I think that's the name.) They're not bad. There's some more options in Riverton but that's ~25 miles away. Depending on weather, there are definitely a lot of options for camping. It really depends on what the weather is doing and it's extremely variable that time of year.

If you have a UTV or ATV, it'll help a lot. For a get out there and get away from everyone hunt, just drive to the end of one of the many roads and start walking.

Hello, my brothers and I will be hunting Units 92 and 94 for the first time this year. Hunted in other Wyoming units before.

I think we might try camping on the border of the 2 units and seeing what shakes out. Lots of country to hunt no doubt.

Good luck to you.

Kris Shepherd from Salem Oregon

94 is mostly really open country. Lots of hills and drains and sagebrush. There are definitely some deer out there but I've not seen a lot of huge deer come out of that unit. I've found there's better luck to be had in 92 and hunt the foothills of the Wind River Range. For unit 94 or 92, you're going to have a Region E general tag anyway so you'll be able to pick your poison.

You're definitely more likely to run into other hunters than snakes and bears. There are rattlesnakes out there but mid October seems late for them (I haven't seen one out there). There are black bears around but most I've seen are on the smaller side and are really skiddish.

I'm in Lander and will be hunting hard and heavy during that general season. Feel free to look me up when you come out.
Hi, we hinted 94 and 92. 94 was very open and most of the public is that way. Private owns the majority of prime hunting habitat IMHO. Beautiful country, but too accessible.

92 was much more to our liking. We ended up shooting all 4 of our bucks on the 3rd evening. Our first hint in that unit. Nothing huge, but we were happy to get our deer and get off the mountain before the big snow storm hit.

Ttyl,

Kris.

Hi, we hinted 94 and 92. 94 was very open and most of the public is that way. Private owns the majority of prime hunting habitat IMHO. Beautiful country, but too accessible.

92 was much more to our liking. We ended up shooting all 4 of our bucks on the 3rd evening. Our first hint in that unit. Nothing huge, but we were happy to get our deer and get off the mountain before the big snow storm hit.

Ttyl,

Kris.

Where’s the pics at?