Wyoming muleys, worth the points?

So long story shortened, a group of us didn't draw our Mt elk tag and are looking for an adventure hunt. We won't be able to start hunting till Oct 18-19, so a few of the WY general tags are ruled out. I might go out for the archery season to hunt and scout it out. We have an average of 1.75 pts, so we a few options. Mainly looking at region y, f, possibly unit 36 but open to other options. Also wondering if a leftover CO tag would be a better option?

Rich M

WKR
With the way the hunting is going, do your research and run with it.

I was looking at a few wy units for mule deer and went to co. Did a 0 pt unit and had a nice hunt.

If you go to hunt you’ll have fun no matter where you go.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
With the way the hunting is going, do your research and run with it.

I was looking at a few way units for mule deer and went to co. Did a 0 pt unit and had a nice hunt.

If you go to hunt you’ll have fun no matter where you go.

Agree with all that. The game has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go to Wyoming and try to find a place you can draw every other year or two. If possible go archery hunt and learn the unit, then come back for rifle season. Have not hunted those units but if you do your research I’m sure you will find where there is some decent public access and good success rates. The high success rate units might be a zoo but you will see a lot of deer.

It’s too late for Colorado this year so might as well plan for next year and do Wyoming this year

OP
joshdidthis
Yeah the nice thing with Wyoming is being able to hunt archery/scout it out. Just trying to get as much info as I can before I make a decision. Yeah I agree the game has changed. Even a couple years ago we bought general ID mule deer tags after the control hunts were drawn. Not this year lol🙄

wytx

WKR
I would find an area or region with a Oct 15-31 season and hunt the last week in Oct. for rifle. Pre rut is starting then.

Fallfreak

Lil-Rokslider
With point creep happening in most states this year and an above average amount of hunters this year be conservative with your point average. WY is one of the last western states to put in for.