Wyoming mulies, any luck yet.

netman

WKR
I hunted for nine days in unit B. Seen lots of elk, 81 does and 3 dinky bucks. I almost caught myself shooting a small buck that I found glassing creeks.
I wore my feet out every day putting down the miles.
Just didn’t happen for me. I truck camped everywhere I went and other hunters would stop by to see if I was seeing anything. They were struggling too.
Too hot!

rl509

FNG
I spent 5 days in the high country out of a backpack in the area I hunt every year. I hate to be that guy, but I’ve seen deer numbers and quality go down consistently for the past 5-6 years. I’ve always said I like harvesting old deer, regardless of score. On day four I had to put my money where my mouth was, as no 170 or better type bucks had been spotted. I don’t know how old this guy is yet, but he had a 25” cape, which according to my taxidermist is gigantic for this time of year. I don’t plan on mounting him, but his cape was too pretty to hack up.

748 yards one and done with a 156 Berger out of my PRC. He made some good summer sausage anyway!
bb0e0c800f7756b1d26e05240c684c8a.jpg

ed9c84bf1801e94325754c97fd3011dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That thing is wild!

OP
L
Just returned from a 5 day hunt out of Buffalo no luck for me the weather was horrible spent two days marooned in a hotel room(miserable ) could not get too the area we were hunting all the roads were closed, but on a brighter side the weather was perfect sunday (our first day too hunt) my buddy scored a nice 3x3 and another friends son shot a 3x2, thet evening my other buddy shot a doe antelope, monday hunted all day in the rain nothing moving covered a lot of ground walking and glassing. then the storm, finally got out thursday, had too park and hike in about 4 miles in the snow, around 10 a.m. got a text from one buddy that he and his son just connected with two does, it took a concentrated effort from all the guys I was hunting with too get them out, finally made it out too where the trucks were parked after a 5 hour drag, all in all it was a great hunt with great friends, allready making plans for 2023. Gotta luv it.

OP
L
Good job, miserable weather put the slows on us had 5 days too hunt, turned into 3, hunted hard during the rain from well before daylight until the end of legal shooting hours was wetter than a frogs ass,between the rain and the blizzard conditions, we only had one day that was nice, it was still a great hunt,planning on going back in two years perhaps we will have better weather.

Been at it since Friday, really Tuesday if you count scouting. Buddy’s dad punched his tag opening day at lunch on a smallish 3x3 he’d been seeing by road all week near where they were staying. Someone had shot it’s running buddy in the leg that morning and it ended up running across the road right in front of me when I gas pulling up over there to help them get it cut up and hauled out; wasn’t anything I wanted to punch a tag on and my buddy was all going after it but he never saw it again. Finally felt like I was in the game this morning. We were slipping along the top of breaks and looking down in them. Had a herd of 12 does and a decent buck within range even though I screwed up and accidentally spoked them because of my approach to the edge to look down, but he needed a 3rd point on one of his antlers and I’ve yet to see it. Pretty sure he was one of 5 bucks I saw back in summer, there was a decent 2x2 in that group that had his same rack shape and length. Ended up seeing over 20 this morning. Pretty much covered about Every spot I checked out in the summer. No clue what we will do these last three days due to the weather coming in, doubt I can make it back to that country we were this morning or where we are up on the mountain this afternoon.

Tough hunting for muleys, in my area this year, in contrast to last year. I was looking to beat the buck I tagged last year, but all I found were dinks, 2x2s and 3x3s. On 10/10, I decided to take a decent whitetail if the chance arose. Saw a beauty main frame ten, with stickers and lots of junk, twice through my spotter on the wrong side of a fence. A storm was moving in starting 10/11 PM through the entire next day. With about 5 mins of legal light left, (it was pretty dark already), I was about to call it a day. I took one last look, and found this guy at 230 yds. He stood broadside for what seemed like forever, and gave me time to get steady on the sticks. At the shot, I heard the unmistakable whack of the bullet hitting it's mark. By the time I reached him across the grass and sage, it was full on pitch dark. Even though I marked him well, I was getting anxious about finding him ( I forgot my flashlight in the truck). I saw a patch of white and said a little prayer that it wasn't a white plastic bag or some other trash hung up on a bush. My prayer was answered. The 139gr Interlock from the 7-08 turned his lungs to jelly and split his heart in half. He never took a step. He's not the muley I was hoping for, or that crazy big 10 point, but I'm very pleased with him just the same. My hunt was an absolute blast and I'm already looking forward to next years trip back to Wyoming. Best of luck to all.

EDIT: Like I said, it really was pitch dark. These phone cameras are amazing at picking up light that, seemingly, is not there...even without a flash.

123_1(2).jpeg

Last edited:
OP
L
Just locked on tip fpr 2023, hopefully better weather then. Mulies and antelope time too build more points. Now too wait and hopefully draw both tags.

Headed back east now. Had to get out before the snow this afternoon. Word of the trip….Doe. I never would have thought we would see 40+ does in 4 days and no bucks larger than a yearling forky. The absolutely beautiful views made up for the lack of bucks. We did get to watch two ATVs rear end each other….launching the lead guys rifle into the mud. People watching for the win!

WCB

WKR
Was out for the first 8 days and saw exactly 5 bucks on public land. put 15-25 miles on a day. A couple days saw 10-20 does and had 3 days where I didn't see a deer...just year old sign. Drought obviously had them using different areas than usual. Some of the best looking muley country and again lots of old sign but little to no tracks even. I have never walked so much and not even jumped or spooked deer.

Passed a 140ish 4x4 at sunrise first day and another similar sized 3 hours later. After that 3 fork horns.

All the pics of downed deer are making me anxious to get out there… have to wait another three and half weeks (sons football season) before I’m eastbound

winny94

FNG
Anyone hunted Thunder basin? Put more miles on the boots than I ever have out there, and we only filled 1 tag on the last day we were there. Doe numbers were normal, but only saw 3 bucks. 10 bull elk and even a couple big horn rams - just no mulie bucks. It was pushing mid to upper 80s, but not sure that explains it. Its like there simply far fewer bucks.

Anyone hunted Thunder basin? Put more miles on the boots than I ever have out there, and we only filled 1 tag on the last day we were there. Doe numbers were normal, but only saw 3 bucks. 10 bull elk and even a couple big horn rams - just no mulie bucks. It was pushing mid to upper 80s, but not sure that explains it. Its like there simply far fewer bucks.

We hunted that area but quickly moved on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro