Wyoming nonresident elk draw thread!

Warrior10

FNG
At least i can always depend on you guys to make sure someone is wrong or right. LOL. shit happens sometimes. I was wrong, You are right. There...i said it.
I could care less if either of us were right or wrong. I only looked it up because I was genuinely curious if Wy G&P truly made a mistake or not. I'm a pretty big odds/draw studier so if there was a true mistake I was intrigued.

Sorry for your bad luck, best of luck on other hunts this fall.

wytx

WKR
Yep, guess ill be classified as an asshole for a while. I get it. I was pretty pissed to begin with.
Just get together with your friends next year, in person, to apply. That way you can all check your stats together and make sure everything is right when you submit the app.

Just givin' you a hard time.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
How lucky did I get by drawing general tag with zero points? First time I’ve ever applied…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well we didnt draw with 4 and special for GEN this year. Amazing.
You or someone in your party made an application error. 4 guaranteed it and the odds report doesn’t lie. I’d be ready to kill someone! You need to make a phone call and figure out who.

Little brother and I drew General. This will be our first trip in Wyoming, and we're pumped! Lot of success in Idaho, so we've got high hopes of putting a giant on the ground!
A giant? You’ve never been there and you have a general license. First hope you picked a good area. All areas aren’t created equal. Then hope you kill a “decent” bull. Giants are by luck like hitting the Powerball. And you don’t hit the Powerball if you play Pick 3 which means you’ll see smaller bulls and if you shoot one you won’t shoot a giant.

Then again define giant? If you’ve shot spikes and small raghorns and a nice branch antlered 5 points fits your definition then your chances are good.

Every state has giants. Including Idaho and Colorado. Not sure why anyone would think a certain state would give them a better chance at one. Good luck.

Last edited:
Why are you pissing in every ones cheerios this morning?

One guys has fessed up and moved on and you wanna keep dragging that shit up. The other guy has high hopes for a successful and memorable hunt and wanna crush it.
Well done. How about you go back to bed and roll out the other side. With a personality like yours I’m guessing the other side is empty.

If you’re referring to me the answer is I’m a realist. Hoping to kill a 350 bull isn’t realistic for anyone pretty much no matter where you go. If someone can’t handle a reality check Rokslide isn’t the place to be. I didn’t bring up the mistakes made buy KHNC or others. Mistakes happen. I forgot to buy a deer point last year. A costly mistake. No body’s fault but mine. This thread jumped from 4/5 pages to 16 overnight. It took me awhile to catch up. When I finally did it amazed me.

If some hunters know as much about elk hunting and the area (not called “units” in Wyoming) that they picked to hunt the elk have nothing to worry about. It’s not that hard at all to learn the system. Wyoming has the best website out there. Montana is like a grade school finger painting compared to it. But you have to take the time to sit down and brush up a little.

Predicting point creep is the hard part. But you can make a fairly educated guess. To do that you have to study up a little too. Go back at least 5 years and look at the curve. Then do yourself a favor and by all means play it safe. I’m scratching my head right now at the guys who applied in the regular drawing with 3 or 3.5 points that are upset. If it meant that much to you why in the world would you not have taken the opportunity that the state of Wyoming offered you to pay more for much better odds with so few points? I’ll answer for you… priorities. What means more, a few hundred dollars or being able to hunt elk? If it’s the money then you should be jumping for joy because you just saved yourselves thousands by not going elk hunting at all. If elk hunting is priceless to you then omg what were you thinking!

The line has to be drawn somewhere right? It’s at the number of points where success wasn’t 100%. This year that line was at 3 points in the special draw and anything less than 4 in the regular. If you drew a license in those point categories, or in the random you were lucky.

So what’s next? Depending on luck to kill an elk too? If you drew a license it will probably be years until you hunt Wyoming again. Make it count! E scouting is like buying a pair of boots, or a bride online and hoping they fit! Maybe. Maybe not. I realize that most of us live far from where we plan to hunt. So back to priorities. What’s it worth to you to actually kill a bull? You might want to seriously think about that. How disappointed will you be if you come home with an unpunched tag? Or worse how depressed will you and your partners be if you don’t even see an elk? Do yourself a favor… go put boots on the ground. Yes it will cost money. Yes it will take time. But it’s not a cost. It’s an investment. An insurance policy. And it’s fun!!! How happy will you be if you do find elk where you plan to hunt? How happy will you be if you find out the place is worthless while you still have time to pick somewhere else to hunt? While you’re out there check out your spots number 2 and 3. It shouldn’t surprise you if number 3 turns out to be number 1.

I enjoy seeing success stories. People happy that they drew a license or thrilled that they killed an elk. But it’s not gambling. Gambling is a game of chance where you have zero control of the outcome. With elk hunting you are in control. You will get out of it what you put into it. You’re not going to find a great place to hunt from your couch at home. So don’t be like the guys who are pissed off at the state of Wyoming that they didn’t get a license this year if you don’t kill an elk. Wyoming is the Cowboy State not the miracle state. So if killing an elk is a dream of yours or just means a lot to you don’t just sit there with your fingers crossed. Make it happen! Don’t wait for opening day to give your one thousand percent. If you do you might learn a hard lesson.

Last edited:
Where did he say 350 bull ?

And wow, a great authority on hunting elk in Wyoming, pay close attention grasshopper.
He didn’t. But like I said define giant. That’s what I consider a giant. I have friends in Arizona that walk away from 330-340 bulls. They only start getting interested at 350. I can’t even imagine that. If a a guy has been hunting Washington state in the spike only areas his entire life then a 260 inch 6 point is a giant. I certainly wouldn’t pass that up in a general area. But I wouldn’t call it a giant. I don’t consider myself an authority on elk hunting in Wyoming. But I have hunted general areas there for the past 10 years straight. This year will be 11. Did some guiding there as well. I have a pretty good idea of what to expect.

So tell me then…. What would you say a hunter can expect in a Wyoming general area? Make it a two part answer if you have a minute … a guy who has some experience there and one who has never hunted there or set foot in his area?

I’ll say that he can expect a good hunt. He can expect to see elk including a few bulls. He shouldn’t expect either of those things to come easy though. I’ll be interested to hear what others think is a reasonable goal.

Is it ok to comment on a gloom and doom thread called Fair Warning To Rookies that says they might be lucky to hunt Wyoming every 10 years or depending on their age 3-4 times in their life but not say that it’s easier to draw a license than it is to kill a giant bull when the fact is they have a 5-30% chance of killing any elk at all? Or are some things just better off left unsaid? I’d hate to see new hunters passing up respectable bulls waiting for a miracle. I think they’d regret it too.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
You or someone in your party made an application error. 4 guaranteed it and the odds report doesn’t lie. I’d be ready to kill someone! You need to make a phone call and figure out who.
Was a mistake on the number of points. We only had 3.

KHNC

WKR
Evidently, not knowing how many preference points you have is a common mistake 😆
Yep, especially when one has points in other states while waiting on draw results. lol. I can barely keep up with where i hunted two years ago, much less 4 years ago.