Wyoming nonresident elk draw thread!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ok, if you say so. You have never been pissed about not drawing a tag?
No, life's too short for that. There's always hope before the draws, then reality afterwards. Why get mad about it? That's why you have multiple plans in place, eases the sting. You can always hunt something, somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
unsuccessful again......GRRRRRRRRRR. No tags again this year. Applied in WY, AZ, and NM and came up empty. sigh....sadness

I feel your pain brother. That was me last year. I ended up pulling a shitty AZ deer tag tho. So I had a nice 10 days of hiking and staring at rocks all day. Never found a single buck but I was still happy to at least be sleeping on the ground again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A giant? Youā€™ve never been there and you have a general license. First hope you picked a good area. All areas arenā€™t created equal. Then hope you kill a ā€œdecentā€ bull. Giants are by luck like hitting the Powerball. And you donā€™t hit the Powerball if you play Pick 3 which means youā€™ll see smaller bulls and if you shoot one you wonā€™t shoot a giant.

Then again define giant? If youā€™ve shot spikes and small raghorns and a nice branch antlered 5 points fits your definition then your chances are good.

Every state has giants. Including Idaho and Colorado. Not sure why anyone would think a certain state would give them a better chance at one. Good luck.
I do believe you're confusing "high hopes" with expectations. I have high hopes, because I've been killing elk with a bow since 1999, and we're fresh off a hunt last year that I had never set foot in until opening day and we both went home with nice archery 6x6's. I've killed a lot of bulls, including 6x6's, but still consider anything over 330" a giant.

Having hunted Idaho for 25 years, and a current WA resident, I'm quite sure that certain states give you abetter chance at a giant. Genetics alone are significantly different between different areas. Anyway, I'm a glass half full guy and have the elk hunting success and experience to justify at least some optimism on my part. Elk are elk no matter where you find them. Anyhow, good luck this year

I do believe you're confusing "high hopes" with expectations. I have high hopes, because I've been killing elk with a bow since 1999, and we're fresh off a hunt last year that I had never set foot in until opening day and we both went home with nice archery 6x6's. I've killed a lot of bulls, including 6x6's, but still consider anything over 330" a giant.

Having hunted Idaho for 25 years, and a current WA resident, I'm quite sure that certain states give you abetter chance at a giant. Genetics alone are significantly different between different areas. Anyway, I'm a glass half full guy and have the elk hunting success and experience to justify at least some optimism on my part. Elk are elk no matter where you find them. Anyhow, good luck this year
Good attitude. There are some killer areas in Washington too if you draw the tag. A friend drew the any season/any unit license there this year. Iā€™ll be curious to see how things go. Hipe hopes is a must for any elk hunter. Itā€™s what keeps us going. But youā€™ll need God and luck on your side to see a 330. This guy hunted Wyoming for the first time last year. He went out and scouted during the summer. Did a long hunt in archery season and came close. He killed this bull, his first, on the opening morning of rifle season on a 3 day Hail Mary hunt. General license. Donā€™t actually know the score but itā€™s a dandy isnā€™t it? Good luck to you too. šŸ™C3EBA42F-002C-48FA-A15B-C7CB99FF0E38.jpegB2754086-23E6-4350-ADF5-F43E87B51BBF.jpeg

jmez

WKR
I got a LE out of the random. Didn't go back and check season info when the 2022 proposal came out. They removed archery season in the unit. I'll eat that tag.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I got a LE out of the random. Didn't go back and check season info when the 2022 proposal came out. They removed archery season in the unit. I'll eat that tag.

Why? Bow only hunter? Any elk tag is worth using. I think?

Bow only. Just have zero interest in rifle hunting.

You can still bow hunt. Iā€™m sure things vary depending on where you are but where I hunt on October 15 the 2nd rut is consistent and the bulls are bugling pretty good. A little hiking will get you away from the orange army.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
Going outfitted or diy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Archery on my own with some permission on private through a friend and then I'm going to put down a deposit for an outfitted rifle hunt in case I don't succeed. I'm fairly young, but it'll be a while before I draw it again.

KHNC

WKR
No, life's too short for that. There's always hope before the draws, then reality afterwards. Why get mad about it? That's why you have multiple plans in place, eases the sting. You can always hunt something, somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I will definitely be hunting something somewhere, however, we had a LOT of plans surrounding us getting this Wyoming elk tag. Had it not been for the additional 3000 applicants this year. I was not expecting point creep to be like this on that tag. Had a moose hunt get canceled for alaska last year last minute by our boat transport. I just wasnt in the mood to see that news on this tag. Especially since I dont have other options to hunt elk this year. I will stick to deer hunting unless we can find a decent left over tag somewhere. Not a lot of options there though.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veron16