Wyoming Nonresident Proposed Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck1

FNG
$$ increases I can handle. Lost available tags I don't like. I believe if this passes as proposed will definitely hurt Wyoming in the future.

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
The way I read it from Go Hunt is that is currently there is a 80 20 split and residents can get general tags otc. So are you saying that if it goes to 90 10 split my chances of drawing a general wont decrease by 50%. If it were to pass I would pay around 1200 for a general tag and 6 points. As it is I will pay 950 for a general tag and 3 points. If it is about herd numbers maybe they should get rid of crossbows and do separate seasons for the tags. If Wyoming only wants residents to hunt there and a few pay to play hunters then RMEF and any other organizations should invest in states that are more friendly to all hunters.
The bill is poorly worded but the 90/10 split would only apply to LQ hunts not general licenses. Residents and NR do not compete in the same pool for general tags. All general quota licenses are drawn 100% by NR. It may effect who applies where in LQ or general but will not affect general license quota; except for elk which will have more tags available in the general pool since they will not be drawn in the LQ pool.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
Buzz you seem to be the expert here and I certainly appreciate the insight you have given. If I'm understanding this correctly this could potentially add elk tags in general areas for non residents? I don't like how this bill is be portrayed across the internet as just a black 50% decrease in NR tags its obviously more complicated than that. I know a lot of people are in the same boat as me and simply want to work Wy into a rotation of being able to draw a general tag every 2-3 years and besides the outfitter tags this could potentially increase the number of general tags. Buzz do you have any info on how many tags are currently being used by outfitters?

It may die, but it’s still enough of an idea to become a bill. Its worth understanding in detail.
This..it may not pass this year but the writing is on the wall for the folks with lots of points..I dont have a problem with cost increase or the R/NR split..The 30% of NR tags going to outfitters is what I dont agree with...but I dont agree with wilderness area law either.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
Failed is a nice word. It was CRUSHED...!

S Failed Introduction 1-28-1-0-0

Vote recorded: 2/12/2020 2:32PM
Ayes: HICKS
Nays: ANDERSON, ANSELMI-DALTON, BALDWIN, BEBOUT, BITEMAN, BONER, BOUCHARD, CASE, COE, DOCKSTADER, DRISKILL, ELLIS, GIERAU, HUTCHINGS, JAMES, KINSKEY, KOST, LANDEN, MONIZ, NETHERCOTT, PAPPAS, PERKINS, ROTHFUSS, SCHULER, SCOTT, STEINMETZ, VON FLATERN, WASSERBURGER
Excused: AGAR
Absent:
Conflict:
Total: Ayes: 1 Nays: 28 Excused: 1 Absent: 0 Conflict: 0

Bobbyboe

WKR

Nays: ANDERSON, ANSELMI-DALTON, BALDWIN, BEBOUT, BITEMAN, BONER, BOUCHARD, CASE, COE, DOCKSTADER, DRISKILL, ELLIS, GIERAU, HUTCHINGS, JAMES, KINSKEY, KOST, LANDEN, MONIZ, NETHERCOTT, PAPPAS, PERKINS, ROTHFUSS, SCHULER, SCOTT, STEINMETZ, VON FLATERN, WASSERBURGER
Absent:
Conflict:

So, is there a response or comment segment, where voters can explain why they voted the way they did? That’s overwhelming for sure. Only 1 yes.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
This is interesting reading:

> > From: Laurie Marcovitz > Date: February 11, 2020 at 6:23:53 PM MST > To: Laurie Marcovitz > Subject: URGENT: SF0094 HUNTING LICENSES RESIDENT AND NON-RESIDENT; SENATOR HICKS BILL > > ? > > > > Dear Members:

> As expected, Senator Hicks filed his 90/10 license allocation bill yesterday. This bill eliminates 50% of all Nonresident Big Game hunting licenses! To view the bill in its entirety can be read here: SF0094 > > The WYOGA board cannot express to you how important it is to contact your local representative and also encourage your hunters to oppose this bill as well. Below are talking points that you can incorporate into your email: > > * This bill is a dire threat to your individual ability to stay in business. > > * This bill not only threatens your business and our industry but all of the other businesses that rely on what we do: Hotels, Motels, Restaurants, Gas Stations, Taxidermists, Meat processors, etc. > > * This bill takes away too much management authority from our Game and Fish Department. They are the professionals that need the flexibility to manage healthy and abundant Big Game populations. > > * Many of our Ranchers in Wyoming depend on hunting leases to help them maintain viability and keep the ranch in the family. > > * Many of our kids are having to leave Wyoming to make a living. Don't punish them further by not letting them come home to hunt. > > * In a time where other Wyoming industries are imperiled (e.g. Coal), why would we want to diminish a significant component of our Tourism industry? > > * Our industry was never consulted by Senator Hicks about the 30% set-aside in the bill. After eliminating 50% of licenses, it is WELL BELOW what we currently use for Non-resident licenses. Besides, Resident Wyoming hunters remain firmly opposed to Outfitter set-asides. The current system works!

> We urge you, your hunters, booking agents, and other business partners in joining us in this fight. This is by no means a fund-raising effort, but these efforts do require money. If you and your hunters are so inclined, you can make a donation to our cause by clicking on the following link: Make a donation to defeat SF0094. > > We greatly appreciate your efforts in assisting us killing this bill. > Best regards! > > Budd Betts, Committee Chairman > > Wyoming Outfitters & Guides Association > PO Box 2650 > Casper, WY 82602 > [email protected] > wyoga.org > 307.265.2376

Absent:
Conflict:

Great news!

gburk

WKR
The bill is poorly worded but the 90/10 split would only apply to LQ hunts not general licenses. Residents and NR do not compete in the same pool for general tags. All general quota licenses are drawn 100% by NR. It may effect who applies where in LQ or general but will not affect general license quota; except for elk which will have more tags available in the general pool since they will not be drawn in the LQ pool.
There has been plenty of time to iron out the wording. Here's a presentation of the same ideas from back in June: https://wyoleg.gov/InterimCommittee/2019/06-20191002MtnPursuitTagAllocationPresentatonLaptop.pdf

WOGA opposed it then too.

Unkept

FNG
You aren't wrong about any of that. No kid needs to hunt out west to get started. There are lots of grouse, squirrels, turkeys, and deer here for that. My post was thinking more along the lines of when he's grown up. I started hunting out of state in my late 20's and have been to some amazing places and have seen incredible things due to being able to hunt as a NR throughout the west. It's simply a bit depressing to think that he'll likely have a fraction of the opportunities that I have had. Nothing more, and nothing less.

It's also not lost on me that for decades MN had fairly abundant moose hunting opportunities with 0% of them allocated to NR hunters.
MN moose is a once in a lifetime draw and usually to stand a chance you put in as a group ie family that normally are not hunters

Status
Not open for further replies.