Wyoming Nonresident Proposed Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can stomp on me if it makes you feel better, doesn’t matter to me, but here’s my take.
I choose to enjoy my life and do my best to not let cost dictate my fun. If I want to hunt Wyoming, I’ll pay the fees, buy the points and hire guides, because that’s what I want. My income is not huge by anyone’s measure. I do what I can afford and if that means sacrificing other things, so be it.
I’d like to see reciprocity compacts between the states.Every state I hunt in outside of Wisconsin costs me dearly. Yet, NR can hunt whitetail here for like $165 for 2-3 tags, total, OTC.
I don’t enjoy paying more for less, but I do enjoy the hunt and will not stop.
I understand this point of view but there is supply and demand at work here. Every state in the contiguous 48 states has a deer season but only the western states have elk, moose, pronghorn, and mountains!! While I do know that people deer hunt in states in which they don't live there is significantly more demand for nonresident tags in western states for big game such as elk and mule deer. If Wisconsin, my home state of Missouri (for the first 18 years of my life) or any other midwest state raised nonresident tags to the level that the western states charge I would expect a considerable drop in NR tag sales. People would just go elsewhere or hunt their home state.

But the western states are selling out all of their tags every year. So they can do what they want with the cost.

I don't like the proposed limitation on the percentage of tags going to NR's for Wyoming but I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish Colorado (my home state of 22 years now) would do something similar.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to see that the legislation failed. thanks to all (both residents and non residents) for making their voices heard. Taking the time out to contact legislators is so important.

Fatcamp

WKR
Can you point me to the statute that calls out the 7,250 Elk tags? I’m not turning it up. Thanks.

Chapter 44:

Section 1. Authority. This regulation is promulgated by authority of Wyoming Statutes § 6-7-101, § 9-4-217(h), § 20-6-112, § 23-1-107, § 23-1-302, § 23-1-702, § 23-1-703, § 23-1-704, § 23-1-705, § 23-2-101, § 23-2-102, § 23-2-107, § 23-2-109, § 23-2-201, § 23-2-207, § 23-2-301, § 23-2-306, § 23-2-307, § 23-2-401 and § 23-3-403, § 23-6-301 through § 23-6-303.

(iv) Elk. A total license limit of seven thousand two hundred-fifty (7,250) nonresident elk licenses shall be made available to nonresident applicants in the initial drawing each year.

Says nothing about bull tags. Push people out of the LQ draws and into General cow tags for the win.

BuzzH

WKR
Says nothing about bull tags. Push people out of the LQ draws and into General cow tags for the win.

All of the tags under the cap are full priced tags...a vast majority of which are bull tags, either LQ or general tags. There is not such thing as a "general cow tag". The only way that a cow tag makes up part of the cap is if a NR CHOOSES to apply for a type 4 tag in the initial draw.

Not many NR's are willing to pay full boat for a LQ type 4 cow tag when they can pay half for a reduced priced cow/calf tag.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
there is a new bill very recently introduced. Before I start a thread on it, has anyone else already done so? I searched and nothing came up but this one.

Here's some info from the new bill someone forwarded me. I didn't know this person but looks like it was legit.

SF0103 "Resident and nonresident hunting license issuance and fees," was filed last week and will be assigned to the Senate Travel, Recreation and Wildlife (TRW) Committee, tomorrow. The bill will need to make it out of the committee to be considered on the floor.

HERE is a link to the Bill.

The bill has two major changes:
  1. It changes Wyoming's current limited quota tag allocation for all big game species (elk, deer, antelope, moose, sheep, goat, bison) to 90% resident hunters, and 10% nonresident hunters (90/10).
  2. It increases prices for nonresident limited quota big game tags. For years, Wyoming's nonresident tags have been significantly underpriced compared to other states and this bill brings these prices up to market levels. These price increases result in $8 million/year of new revenue to the WY G&F Department.

hntr

FNG
Absolute crap. We all pay taxes for these lands and the non resident get shafted. Everyone talks about getting hunter numbers up, but pulls crap like this. Gets harder and harder for a non resident to draw a tag bc Wyoming is getting greedy. Not too mention how much it adds up in price by the time you get to actually buy a tag. All Western states are becoming a joke.

wapitibob

WKR
Absolute crap. We all pay taxes for these lands and the non resident get shafted. Everyone talks about getting hunter numbers up, but pulls crap like this. Gets harder and harder for a non resident to draw a tag bc Wyoming is getting greedy. Not too mention how much it adds up in price by the time you get to actually buy a tag. All Western states are becoming a joke.

cry me a river
WY issues a higher percentage of tags to NR, across the species, than any western state.

hntr

FNG
cry me a river
WY issues a higher percentage of tags to NR, across the species, than any western state.
Your point? They are all turning into a joke. Doesn't change the fact that NR are getting shafted. I mean if you enjoy hunting elk once every blue moon, good for you bud. I've been putting in for a unit for 10+ years now that my dad and his buddies used to hunt as nr every other year. Probably be over 15 by the time I can hunt it. I don't know about you, but I enjoy hunting more than once every 15 years.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like there hasn't been a separate thread created on this new bill, so I put one up.

Debate like gentleman please so that this thread can stay up!

I locked this thread for a bit only so the discussion can move to where it isn't diluted by a year old thread;

Status
Not open for further replies.