Wyoming Opener or Late Season

Hello everyone,

Curious as to everyone's thoughts. I am hoping to draw a 4 point special buck tag this year and if so am trying to decide between hunting the opener in late September or waiting until later in the rifle season to go out. The reason for the wait would be to have the crowds die down and the later it gets into the season the better chance my dog won't run into a snake when I bird hunt after I tag an antelope. Is it worth hunting opening weekend?

j_volt

WKR
The popular thing is to say to go late in the season because you’ll be alone. However, nearly everyone (even the great folks on this forum) goes on the opener. I like the opener because large bucks that get killed on the opener don’t make it to the end of the season AND the antelope aren’t extremely scared yet. Antelope are often pushed far from public after the first weekend.

I would recommend going whenever your schedule works best. If I am available on the opener, I’m going.

I do not like hunting the opener, but the last few years... bucks I've seen in the area scouting in the summer seem to be not alive by the middle of October when I like to go. Meat care is a bit easier later as it's usually cooler and there are often way fewer folks around.

I'll take the quieter hunt vs the big bucks every time. I haven't noticed them being very scared, last few antelope were all under 300y with pretty simple stalks.

Kurts86

WKR
I always go on the opener if it a dedicated antelope trip. Show up a day or 2 early and look at bucks when they are unpressured. It’s a lot easier stalking.

I’ve been on a couple of late season antelope hunts that were part of a deer or elk hunt and we work a lot hard on those hunts just because of how skittish the antelope are. It’s not unusual to get busted at 800 yards after the season is underway.

wytx

WKR
Don't think I've hunted an opener in 25 years. Have a nice buck scouted , hunt the opener.

WCB

WKR
Last time I hunted WY goats (2yrs ago) There is no way I would have wanted a tag in my pocket after the first couple days (really the first day) Of course this depends on the unit...animal numbers....access to public and your expectations on size.

I know they move around and blah blah blah but after 2 days of scouting and only seeing 13 bucks on public in the whole unit slim pickens to say the least...especially considering 1/2 of them were probably 8-9" bucks

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everyone has a different approach but I would not go on the opener at least the places where I have gone. I found that the crowds die down dramatically after about a week or so. I’m not a trophy hunter so I can’t speak from that aspect. I would rather have a better quality hunt meaning fewer people even if meant the possibility the biggest buck was already gone.

wytx

WKR
I'll add if it is a wintering area you may get to look over hundreds of bucks by late season.

I agree that it depends on the area you are hunting but most areas open before the rut and those bucks that get taken then will be replaced by mature bucks, usually, for the rut However that may not always happen in lower population areas.

Just know you are probably not the only person who has seen that nice buck a day or 2 before the season. It may be a race to get to him first opening day.
We like the lower pressure later but can sure see the advantage to hunting the opener if you have a buck you've scouted.

Avoid the last week of the season though, everyone that hasn't filled out will be out hunting then.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Last year my wife and I had tags near our home in a unit with fairly limited public access. I found the buck I wanted to hunt days earlier and killed him on opening morning. We didn’t see another buck on public for several weeks hunting nearly everyday.

In some units the opener may be your only chance before animals get bumped to private.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
Last year my wife and I had tags near our home in a unit with fairly limited public access. I found the buck I wanted to hunt days earlier and killed him on opening morning. We didn’t see another buck on public for several weeks hunting nearly everyday.

In some units the opener may be your only chance before animals get bumped to private.
Agreed, I have hunted antelope 15 and if you arent there opening weekend you are missing out on what limited opportunities you may get due to the antelope being pushed around and shot at etc.

Jimss

WKR
There are a lot of options and possibilities to consider depending on the unit. The antelope may be gone after the first big snow in some units and the opposite in others. In tough draw units there is a good chance that hunters who have waited years for tags cherry-pick the best bucks opening morning even though there are few tags. In units with gobs of private and only a little public…guess where the antelope tend to go once pressured. Lots and lots of factors and scenarios.

It pays to know exactly what happens early vs late in the season in the particular unit you draw.

OP
B
Appreciate all the responses. If I draw my unit has a lot of public so I don’t see issues with bucks on public. May give the biologist a call and pick his brain once l have the tag. Thanks!

P dog

FNG
I am curious on when the results for WY will be out. I thought I read somewhere it was going to be the 15th? Anyone know?

KHNC

WKR
When i go , i go early. I wont miss hunting deer or elk for a goat. Get one killed quick and on to deer and elk i always say!

Pjd243

FNG
since 99 never hunted the opener but being from Michigan wanted to hunt deer and Antelope
Mainly hunted private and some public and shot plenty of 13-14 inch lope and a hand full of 15-16
mid Oct.
enjoy