Wyoming opener

I have seen opening day 70 and last year if was 29ish with couple inches of snow on the ground..temp who knows...but you can always count on the wind!

HiMtnHntr

WKR
There are a lot of these inquiries. They always end with "prepare for any weather". I have seen people leave WY cursing its very existence, but those same people seem to always want to come back.... with more of their friends.

T_Nelomz

FNG
All my hunts have been pretty mild weather. 30s-40s at night, 50s-60s during the day. But that was in north central Wyoming just west of Gillette. We always road camp so I bring clothes for all weather conditions. From reading past weather reports you can expect anything from below freezing to 80 degrees, so you really need to be prepared for anything. If you have a Go Hunt account you can look up historical weather for every unit.

OP
Short Track
My outfitter says it's usually a 1 day hunt.. Especially if your not picky. Is it worth bring rain gear?? Being my first antelope hunt.. I'll shot a doe, and mount it :)

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
My outfitter says it's usually a 1 day hunt.. Especially if your not picky. Is it worth bring rain gear?? Being my first antelope hunt.. I'll shot a doe, and mount it :)
Are you booked for a 3 day hunt? In a good area? If so, I would hold out for a shooter buck. Shouldn't be hard to turn one up. Pack clothing that you would be comfortable with sitting in 30° weather. You can always not wear as much and that should cover 90% of the forecast. Bring a baclava/neck gaiter, they help with the wind. Bring leather palmed gloves, they help with all things that poke you. Don't overthink it too much. Most likely will have mild weather but there is always that chance....

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
It may be a one day hunt, but Antelope hunting in WY is a target rich environment. Wait for the one you want, and definitely find a buck.

Also, do what you can to prepare for shooting in the wind. Good Luck.

OP
Short Track
How about aiming directly into the wind.... or at least 45 degree angle.... I'll figure out the wind so it's not a cross wind...

OP
Short Track
100%. Not every wind is a full cross wind.. and I'll have no problem positioning myself where it's not at 90 degrees.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I took “wind” not for shooting, but for mental attitude and survival. The wind in Wyoming is incessant and typically strong. It wears on a guy...

muddydogs

WKR
100%. Not every wind is a full cross wind.. and I'll have no problem positioning myself where it's not at 90 degrees.
In antelope country with them beady eyed suckers looking at you, you will have problems positioning yourself for about any shot let alone moving around more to get the wind. Your lucky if you can keep the wind from blowing straight to them and have an access point where they can't see you. Depending on the area your hunting on a guided hunt it might be different but for the public land DIY hunter he had better know how to shoot with some wind at all angles and know his limitations.