Wyoming or Montana? antelope info

kyle1112

WKR
Looking at going to going to wyoming or montana for antelope with my grandfather(83), father(65), wife and myself this year and dont have a freaking clue on where to put in for unit wise nor which of the two states is best for being drawn 1st time or OTC even. Any and all help would be great!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Bryan B

FNG
WY would be the better choice. You will likely only be able to draw in the eastern part of the state if you want to hunt this year assuming you have no PP. You will need to do some research to find out what unit you want to hunt but you have some time to figure that out as applications need to be in by May 31. There is no OTC.

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
I've looked at some harvest records and such and picked 3units based on that but idk about access

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

For Wyoming - look at the Hunt Planner page, then pick the units you are looking at, they give some idea of access to public land and also if there are any hunter access or walk-in areas. Any unit you can draw with no points is going to have less public land to hunt on, but you could still have a fun time if you can walk a bit and be out before anyone else:)

For Wyoming - look at the Hunt Planner page, then pick the units you are looking at, they give some idea of access to public land and also if there are any hunter access or walk-in areas. Any unit you can draw with no points is going to have less public land to hunt on, but you could still have a fun time if you can walk a bit and be out before anyone else:)
Hunt Planner is an awesome tool

11tdm11

FNG
Eastern MT will be your best bet to Draw unless you already have points built. A lot of private in the guaranteed draw units though.

Depending upon how far you want to walk and if you want to get a good buck Wyoming would definitely be the better option for more rolling hills and bigger bucks

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to get a couple reduced price doe tags along with a buck tag, Wyoming is the place. IIRC Montana does not have reduced price doe tags.

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
Wyoming can give you a great hunt and can probably get a few doe tags for cheap, too.

rolocasi

FNG
Never hunted Montana, but Wyoming is as good as it gets for Pronghorn. W/ zero points I would look at special draw in units with some type of public access. Best of luck!

Cbrew

FNG
I’ve drawn 3 times in WY, twice on my second choice and once on a leftover tag. If you do your due diligence on gohunt, you should be able to find a place where you may have a good chance of drawing. The access can be rough and the trophy potential won’t be as good as some units, but you can still have a decent hunt.

Gen273

WKR
Great information in this thread, thanks, guys! I would like to return to WY in 2021 for an antelope/deer hunt.

Badland

FNG
If a guy can swing the funds definitely look at the special draw if you don’t have points.

I drove through Wyoming last year and the amount of pronghorn we saw from the road was unreal!

codyj23

FNG
I'd find a BLM map and check out eastern MT. Never hunted WY. Some big block management chunks over there as well, OnX can help with that. Easy winter in MT this year so numbers should be good.