Wyoming point guidance

What’s up fellow outdoorsman, I’m currently building points in Wyoming, have 3 including this year deer elk ant, my question is how many should I gather before I put in? I’m a rookie I’ve yet to put a muley or elk on the ground but I started buying points in hopes to have a quality hunt once I’ve gained enough knowledge to be successful. So assume archery elk, do I build more or throw in for the draw???? Any insight is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDog00

WKR
Get on the WY G&F website and look at the draw odds for each unit. You'll be able to see what units you can draw. In WY, most units allow you to hunt the Sept. archery season then come back for rifle season if you're unsuccessful during the bowhunt.

wytx

WKR
You're right in range for General elk license. LQ areas will take many more PP than 3 to draw.
Cow tags are a great way to get your feet wet in elk country and possibly bring home some meat without breaking the bank.

LostArra

WKR
You can do both in Wyoming: continue to accumulate points and hunt elk now, well you're late for this year.

You will gain more elk hunting knowledge in a week of cow hunting than 5 years at computer screen. Then decide when and where you want to use your points.

As mentioned above, you need to actually go do an activity to gain experience. Watching and reading about others only gets you so far.

Don’t waste years of points by going in green.

Laramie

WKR
Plenty of feel good stuff above. Here is reality- It took 4 preference points this year to guarantee a general tag. That number has been increasing yearly for some time. You had 2 points for this year and will have 3 for next. You likely won't be able to draw a general tag until 2023 or 2024. The general tag is a quality hunt but it's not what a lot of guys envision when they start buying points. It's a challenging hunt, especially for a beginner. Most guys buy points to hunt in a LQ area. With 90/10 likely to pass in the next year or two, you are likely looking at 15+ years before you can draw a good LQ hunt.

I think you need to do some soul searching. What is important to you? If it's just elk hunting, by all means take some of the advice above. Go on a cow elk hunt. Hunt OTC Colorado, etc. If a big bull is you #1 goal, keep buying points and apply for good LQ hunts in more than just Wyoming.

gbflyer

WKR
My son is a resident there come mid Sept and is trying to navigate the regulations. Myself being a nonresident I’ll probably just be a packer if he ever gets it dialed in.

Laramie

WKR
Feel good? In my book cow hunting is elk hunting without a taxidermy bill. Everyone eventually figures out the definition of point creep and plans accordingly but there is no reason to sit at home just planning or bitching.
My apologies if you took offense. My comment wasn't targeted at you.

I love to cow elk hunt and I agree- he should go hunting if his goal is to just hunt elk- as I stated in my post.

wytx

WKR
General elk hunting is not bad, lots of decent bulls taken on public land/NF every year in general areas. Right here in the Snowies too.
Cow elk hunting gets you into the same areas before a bull hunt, and yes I would feel good about getting to know an area before I hunted it on a higher priced bull tag. I even like having a cow tag with my bull tag but that may be cost prohibitive for NRs.
As pointed out, Wyoming has a random draw and someone has to draw those tags.

In a general area you could archery hunt for however long you can and come back for rifle season at least having an idea where you saw elk and sign , and did not.
If only one trip then come out a couple of days early to scout.

We also have some deer region licenses that can be drawn with 0-1 PP. They take work, meaning time and effort to find the deer but good bucks can be taken.

looking at what the LQ elk units take to draw, I’m not planning on saving more than 3-4 points for elk and getting the general license. Deer and antelope are a little different and those should be determined by what your goals are for the hunt. Type 6 tags are a great way to check out the state without burning points. Did doe antelope last year and doing cow elk this year.

Worst thing you can do is just accumulate points. You need hunting experience prior to drawing a tag that took more then 3 years to draw. Go elk hunting somewhere.

LostArra

WKR
My apologies if you took offense. My comment wasn't targeted at you.

I love to cow elk hunt and I agree- he should go hunting if his goal is to just hunt elk- as I stated in my post.
No offense taken at all! We are on the same page. As you mentioned, things are changing for non residents (points/creep, tag allocations, draw odds) but if hunting elk is the goal then the opportunity is there and waiting on the side line buying points is not a great plan.

robtattoo

WKR
I'm in this boat. I started buying points 7 years ago by putting in for low chance draw unit & as luck would, or more accurately, wouldn't, have it, I drew a bull tag with 2 points in a unit that normally takes 8 or more. Unfortunately, I didn't see a single elk in the 10 days I hunted the unit & I chalked that down PURELY to inexperience.

So.

I ditched the idea of a 'trophy' unit & started putting in for cow tags. Same unit, year after year. I'm going back out this winter for my 5th hunt, with 5 points in my pocket for a guaranteed General tag in 2022. Handily, & due to my design, the cow hunts I've done have been in 2 adjoining, general units. I'm not saying I know the squirrels by name up there, but I feel a lot more confident going for a bull, with 5 years worth of experience & familiarity with 2 general units.
I've also dragged a few hundred pounds of really prime meat home in the meantime. To me, the $50 point & $350 cow tag is of far more value than the point alone.
FYI: I'm not looking for a world class, monster bull, just a nice, average 5x5 or better.

OP
Allen-samsal19
Some great info and opinions guys, I should have added, I’m not sitting at home just buying points. I hunted idaho OTC 19’ and Colorado Otc 20’ and heading back to Colorado this year so I am getting experience. The cow tag does sound like a great way to get actual boots on the ground that I’d be hunting and still hit elk annnnd learn so I may look into that. I had read general tag 2-3 points was the way to go. I’m just looking to put a mature bull down. No rag horns but don’t need a 400 either. Only bought the deer and antelope point because I figured if I was gonna get the elk might as well get the others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk