Wyoming PP

Medusa7MM

WKR
I currently have 8 preference points in Wyoming for moose. I’m 45 years old. To date looks like most units one can draw with 20-21 points for non residents. How bad do you guys think point creep will affect my odds? Will I be able to draw by the age of say 60 (that’s another 15 years of buying points) and would put me at 23 points by age 60.
Secondly, is it even worth it by then? Meaning by the time another approximate 15 years roll around with all the PP money I’ll have wrapped up into the process on top of actually buying the license .....is it worth it? Meaning forget it and just dump that money into a AK or Canada hunt? Dam I really hate just to piss my $$$ down the drain of what I already have into Wyoming, but then again reality is starting to set in. And Yes I understand there is nothing saying I’d even be close or able to draw with 23 points by then.
I know there are a lot of guys on here with valuable knowledge on this topic. Appreciate all thoughts and information!

wyosteve

WKR
To some degree it depends on what kind of a hunt you are looking for. If you just want to go moose hunting and shoot a moose, Canada offers some 'meat moose' hunts pretty reasonable. I'm not familiar with Newfoundland, but there are threads here about it. If you specifically want a Shiras then you have to continue playing the points game.

I think you know the answer...

Do you wanna go hunting in 15 years *maybe*, or do you wanna enjoy the memories you had on your hunt for the next 15 years?

Trial153

WKR
I dumped 12 moose and sheep points in wy. I will never draw in the preference pount pool.
Now i just gamble the 200 on a draw that has random tag when it suits me.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
YES. I encourage every non resident holding moose points in Wyoming to drop out and make more room for me to move up the list. In all seriousness I have 11 points and the same feelings as you. But how many guys are older than me and gonna quit or die in the next 20 years? I wish Wyoming would give us an age demographic of point holders. That will make the picture more clear. Also I highly reccomend going to Newfoundland. We went last fall and had a blast
Now after killing a moose one is not enough.

I currently have 8 preference points in Wyoming for moose. I’m 45 years old. To date looks like most units one can draw with 20-21 points for non residents. How bad do you guys think point creep will affect my odds? Will I be able to draw by the age of say 60 (that’s another 15 years of buying points) and would put me at 23 points by age 60.
Secondly, is it even worth it by then? Meaning by the time another approximate 15 years roll around with all the PP money I’ll have wrapped up into the process on top of actually buying the license .....is it worth it? Meaning forget it and just dump that money into a AK or Canada hunt? Dam I really hate just to piss my $$$ down the drain of what I already have into Wyoming, but then again reality is starting to set in. And Yes I understand there is nothing saying I’d even be close or able to draw with 23 points by then.
I know there are a lot of guys on here with valuable knowledge on this topic. Appreciate all thoughts and information!
Another thread was up on the same question for sheep. Hard to throw good money after bad.

bradb

WKR
I am at 17pts and still will take a fair number of years for the better units. I want a Shiras moose so I will either go for a easier to draw unit, or hope for random long shot, or wait for 1 of my preferred choices hopefully in the next handful of years. Not looking for a giant so will probably go to just a decent unit

NUGGET

WKR
I think you're throwing away your money at 150 a year. Non resident tag price is 2,000. It will probably be more if you do indeed finally draw.

Screw Canada. Go to AK. Keep your money in the good old US. Non resident moose tag is 800.00 Bush flight 2500-3500.00. Flight to ak (use air miles,) if not add 800 to 1000.00. Add in another 1000 to 2000 for other costs. Be in it for around 6500.00. And you're still able to do it while your knees and back can do it.

Or keep throwing away 150 a year(with current regulation to even allocate less tags to non resident) to one day hopefully shoot a 36" bull from your truck or 4 wheeler. Because you're going to be so old that's how its going to have to go down.

8 points you're not into it too much $$$$. Get out while you can. I jumped out when I had 10 points.

OP
M

Medusa7MM

WKR
I think you're throwing away your money at 150 a year. Non resident tag price is 2,000. It will probably be more if you do indeed finally draw.

Screw Canada. Go to AK. Keep your money in the good old US. Non resident moose tag is 800.00 Bush flight 2500-3500.00. Flight to ak (use air miles,) if not add 800 to 1000.00. Add in another 1000 to 2000 for other costs. Be in it for around 6500.00. And you're still able to do it while your knees and back can do it.

Or keep throwing away 150 a year(with current regulation to even allocate less tags to non resident) to one day hopefully shoot a 36" bull from your truck or 4 wheeler. Because you're going to be so old that's how its going to have to go down.

8 points you're not into it too much $$$$. Get out while you can. I jumped out when I had 10 points.

Love it (not really😂)! I’m with playing/paying the game I guess one could say. Wanted to make sure I was thinking along the right lines. Not complaining about the fees, have just come to the realization that probably not going to happen for me as of where I sit with my age and current points. Roughly ten years ago when I started this I obviously miscalculated a tad reference odds of drawing by age 60!!

NUGGET

WKR
Love it (not really😂)! I’m with playing/paying the game I guess one could say. Wanted to make sure I was thinking along the right lines. Not complaining about the fees, have just come to the realization that probably not going to happen for me as of where I sit with my age and current points. Roughly ten years ago when I started this I obviously miscalculated a tad reference odds of drawing by age 60!!

It really does suck doesn't it? You could always cash them in on a cow tag. Unit 38 or 4 gives you the best odds. You know that line where people that kill small stuff say "its about the experience and not the antlers blah blah blah". That way you get to experience moose hunting and your points didn't go to "waste".

Do an Alaskan moose hunt. Its getting more expensive every year. Buy it for your 50th birthday gift...but do it next year. Get a buddy to go and don't look back. If you're married she will get over it.

Trial153

WKR
Nothing like killing cows with 200 of your closest buddy’s after a 6 year wait

OP
M

Medusa7MM

WKR
It really does suck doesn't it? You could always cash them in on a cow tag. Unit 38 or 4 gives you the best odds. You know that line where people that kill small stuff say "its about the experience and not the antlers blah blah blah". That way you get to experience moose hunting and your points didn't go to "waste".

Do an Alaskan moose hunt. Its getting more expensive every year. Buy it for your 50th birthday gift...but do it next year. Get a buddy to go and don't look back. If you're married she will get over it.
Nothing like killing cows with 200 of your closest buddy’s after a 6 year wait

Thanks for getting me back on track fellas!😂

12ring

FNG
Last year was going to be my last year putting in, I was at 11 pts, and by the grace of God I drew the random tag. That being said, I definitely am dropping out now. $150 for a BP is ridiculous. You may have also heard the news that a bill (SF0094) is going through the WY leg now that intends to increase app and tag fees for NRs and decrease the tags available to NRs. If that happens what we think is bad now will probably get a lot worse. The silver lining is that I believe a lot of NRs are dropping out of this game, so that will be less competition. I am not confident that it will be enough to drastically affect draw odds though.

Jimss

WKR
I'm sure this year's 90:10 is just a start. Wyo will ultimately be the big loser if this ever goes through....local economies, nonres pulling the plug on applying, etc.

Whip

WKR
A little mathematics might help you make up your mind. From the WY G&F website there are about 5,100 non residents that have 9 or more points. In 2019 WY gave out a little over 50 tags in the preference point pool.
So if you can live to 140 years old you have a chance.... As long as they don't reduce tag allocations further.
Actually it's not quite that dire since most of the people that have more points than you likely won't live that long either.
Or you might pull a random tag. My guess is the odds of that are much better than getting to the top of the point pool.
I'm at 18 points right now and still feel like I'm throwing good money after bad. The whole moose point thing in WY is a scam if you're not near the top already.