Wyoming Preference Points for a FNG

Weber

FNG
I've done quite a bit of searching at this point and I am baffled.

How exactly does this preference point thing work in Wyoming? In Alaska, I buy a tag or I enter a lottery. It seems like if I want to hunt Mule's I have to buy these points? Do they stack? Does more increase my odds? How does this work?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've done quite a bit of searching at this point and I am baffled.

How exactly does this preference point thing work in Wyoming? In Alaska, I buy a tag or I enter a lottery. It seems like if I want to hunt Mule's I have to buy these points? Do they stack? Does more increase my odds? How does this work?
Wyoming is a 75% most points to 25% random draws. Simply put yes points improve your odds.

So 75% of all regular non resident tags are awarded to those who apply with the most points. The remaining 25% of the tags go into a random drawing where the remaining applicants have a shot at draw a tag.

There's also a special draw where the tags are 1.5 times as much. It works with the same 75/25 split but the odds should be better because of less applications due to increased cost. Checking the odds this theory doesn't always hold true just as a FYI.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Weber

Weber

FNG
Got it. So basically I have to buy points for 5 years to hunt in Western states essentially?

When you put in for a draw you effectively "use" your points and go back to 0?

CorbLand

WKR
Got it. So basically I have to buy points for 5 years to hunt in Western states essentially?

When you put in for a draw you effectively "use" your points and go back to 0?
Only if you draw do you go back to 0. If you don't draw, you gain a point. So you can either put in and if you don't draw you will get a point or you can just buy a point. Putting in you have chance at drawing that year in the random process.

OP
Weber

Weber

FNG
Only if you draw do you go back to 0. If you don't draw, you gain a point. So you can either put in and if you don't draw you will get a point or you can just buy a point. Putting in you have chance at drawing that year in the random process.

Got it. So no sense in buying? Just put in every year until I win?

CorbLand

WKR
If you want a chance at drawing each of those years, yes put in. Although, I think you have to go back and buy a point in Wyoming now after the draw. I dont think you automatically gain one.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you don't acquire points you'll always in the 25% pool. Depending on the number of points your preferred unit requires buying points might not sense. Example it takes max points for your unit to be in the 75% draw pool, since you'll never catch up to everyone else's points buying a point might be wasted money.
I personally always try and acquire points because they offer options if your plans end up changing.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk