Wyoming Preference Points Question

I'm preparing for my first Elk hunt in 2023, in Wyoming units 37, 38 & 39. I was told I will need 3-9 preference points to draw an archery tag for those units. Since I won't be prepared to hunt until 2023 I want to build my preference points without drawing a tag. Do I choose a random Unit....like Unit 31 where 335 first choice applicants applied and only 4 tags were issued?

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Area's correct. WY let's you just by the point & you can keep building them w/o applying for a tag.

Randy Newberg has a great video about breaking down WY's draw system & how it works. Def worth a look.

Yep... points aren’t unit specific. Who knows... by then you might decide on a different unit. By then it might take twice as many points to draw those tags. Honestly... and some might agree... instead of saving points for a first elk hunt which will be a learning experience more than anything.... just apply for a general license and get out there and hunt. I see bulls every day in general units. The nice thing too is you can hunt them regularly and LEARN YOUR AREA which is as important or maybe more important than anything. And no.... there are NOT grizzlies in many of the general areas. Lots of hunters want to hunt the Bighorns because they are afraid of the west side.

OldGrayJB

WKR
Wyoming no longer allows non-residents to apply for a point on their initial application for elk, deer, or antelope. If this is your first time, you'll need to apply for one of those impossible units to get the first point. Then you can start buying points.

Schism

WKR

Yes, you did.

From your link: "Nonresident applicants will no longer have the option to apply for preference points when submitting their initial limited quota applications for elk, deer and antelope."

The only way to get a preference point (elk, deer and antelope) is to purchase one during the preference point only period of July 1-November 2.

LostArra

WKR

Your link does have some strange wording but in simple terms NO non-resident can get a preference point in the preference point draw regardless if it's your first time in the draw or your 12th time. You no longer have the option of receiving a point if your first choice is unsuccessful. Points have to be purchased separately beginning July 1.

The word "initial" refers to the first drawing for limited entry tags as opposed to the leftover drawing. At least that is my translation.

OP
B
Same as above. You can just buy a point. Good luck having anywhere near enough points for those units with point creep by then. Are you a resident or non resident
Thanks for the response. THis is very confusing for a first-timer....I will do more research on the state site.

OP
B
Yep... points aren’t unit specific. Who knows... by then you might decide on a different unit. By then it might take twice as many points to draw those tags. Honestly... and some might agree... instead of saving points for a first elk hunt which will be a learning experience more than anything.... just apply for a general license and get out there and hunt. I see bulls every day in general units. The nice thing too is you can hunt them regularly and LEARN YOUR AREA which is as important or maybe more important than anything. And no.... there are NOT grizzlies in many of the general areas. Lots of hunters want to hunt the Bighorns because they are afraid of the west side.
Thanks for your advice Inidan Summer. I've been hunting Whitetail in the Northeast for 30 years and this would be my first attempt at Elk. I planned on hunting with a guide (since I wouldn't know where to start on my own) and he said I would need to buy some preference points before I could draw a tag. Maybe, I would be better off applying for a general license and find a guide who could get me in the woods for a cow to start. Grizzlies wouldn't prevent me from applying for a general license unit. I obviously don't know the areas but this would be a good thing to research. Thanks again. BG

If you’re looking for a guide in the Bighorns I would highly recommend calling Phil Rutt with Triple Three Outfitters, He has some really incredible private land hunts but also a high country camp that’s near some great hunting. A super nice hard working guy too.

OP
B
If you’re looking for a guide in the Bighorns I would highly recommend calling Phil Rutt with Triple Three Outfitters, He has some really incredible private land hunts but also a high country camp that’s near some great hunting. A super nice hard working guy too.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will check him out.

Chad L

FNG
Sorry to burst your bubble....you may want to research how many points these units actually take. I drew unit 39 this year with 10 points going into the draw...

OP
B
Sorry to burst your bubble....you may want to research how many points these units actually take. I drew unit 39 this year with 10 points going into the draw...
WOW! Well, I might not be upright by the time I earn enough preference points to draw that unit or 37/38. I'm 53 and I guess I should have planned this hunt a little sooner. Thanks for the info. Brady G.