Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

wyodan

WKR
OK, so you're the 2nd person to understand it that way. So...if I were a Wy resident, I'd be against this bill as I'd have move people (NR) to contend with on the hunts I'm most likely to be going on each year (general).

Yes? no?
As a resident, I am not against it for your mentioned reason. Were I a limited entry hunter, this would give me a little better odds at a hard to draw unit. I can find places to get away in nearly all General units. Spread that number out over all of the general units in the state, I don't see it as a big increase in those areas. Of course, realistically, it won't be spread even over all of the general areas.

JFK

WKR
Seems like a big change. Why wouldn’t they just limit the number of apps that NR’s can put in for in Wy? Limit it to one species a year. Hard to calculate what the impact would be but safe to say it would reduce some NR applications, increase opportunity for residents and keep everyone satisfied. Would probably accelerate point creep further but it’s not like that’s a new problem.

BuzzH

WKR
OK, so you're the 2nd person to understand it that way. So...if I were a Wy resident, I'd be against this bill as I'd have move people (NR) to contend with on the hunts I'm most likely to be going on each year (general).

Yes? no?
No you wont...there will be 6% less Residents that drew LQ tags hunting general areas.

Plus, we can hunt designated wilderness where NR's cant.

mlgc20

WKR
Maybe I'm missing something. The bill does simply state "Non-resident Elk Licenses" and does not seem to differentiate between General and Limited Entry.
I'm not an expert, so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that Wyoming has a statutory quota on NR tags, that they have to give out. So, the allocation can really only change on the Limited side. Since statutorily, they will still have to get to the quota of NR tags.

BuzzH

WKR
I'm not an expert, so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is that Wyoming has a statutory quota on NR tags, that they have to give out. So, the allocation can really only change on the Limited side. Since statutorily, they will still have to get to the quota of NR tags.
Only on elk...7,250 full price tags in the initial draw.

If this is true and passes, it’s fantastic news. Why should Wyoming be the most liberal state out there for percentage of NR tags? This would put them in line with several other western states.
Your not even close look at Colorado's tag allocations

Laramie

WKR
The real kick in the shorts here for non-residents will be the drastically lowered number of moose licenses available. If my math is correct, this will drop total non-resident moose licenses down to 14 or 15 total permits across the state and remove the potential for the random tag in all but area 25. I'm a guy sitting with quite a few points but with this change, I will likely never have an opportunity to draw in my lifetime unless moose populations really increase.

The raise in fee to almost 3k may scare off a good percentage of people though.

Last edited:

Fitzwho

WKR
@mlgc20 - If it increases the number of general tags, cool, but is that general tag still going to cost me $1,100?

That's all I meant, does the price change for general elk tags or will those prices stay the same?

wapitibob

WKR
Based on 2019 numbers, going to 90/10 Elk would see an addl 1,188 nr Special gen licenses issued in the random draw.
I missed the Bills strikeout of the Special Price section W.S. 23‑2‑101(f). This Bill removes the Special Draw and as such there would be no addl special licenses.

Using 2019 as an example, there woud be 1,995 lq licenses down from 3183, and Gen licenses would increase to 5255 from 4059, for a total nr quota of 7,250.
I did not see a regulation change that deals with the undersold non resident lq licenses that are now being distributed to special gen. I assume they would issue those to the random draw gen pool as part of their quota balance procedure.

Last edited:

mlgc20

WKR
@mlgc20 - If it increases the number of general tags, cool, but is that general tag still going to cost me $1,100?

That's all I meant, does the price change for general elk tags or will those prices stay the same?
Gotcha. The way I understand it, yes that general tag would now cost $1,100. Ouch.

Fatcamp

WKR
I missed the Bills strikeout of the Special Price section W.S. 23‑2‑101(f). This Bill removes the Special Draw and as such there would be no addl special licenses.

Using 2019 as an example, there woud be 1,995 lq licenses down from 3183, and Gen licenses would increase to 5255 from 4059, for a total nr quota of 7,250.
I did not see a regulation change that deals with the undersold non resident lq licenses that are now being distributed to special gen. I assume they would issue those to the random draw gen pool as part of their quota balance procedure.

LOL. Cool. Before long people will be whining about not drawing a doe antelope tag with 5 points.

Maybe they should consider increasing the resident tag price as well. If you’ve seen what they pay for those tags it’s insanely cheap. I’ve hunted WY for the last 20 or so years, and I’m fine with paying a little more. I’ve not been drawn in the last 3 years, which sucks. I ate a leftover cow tag this year after finding 35 bulls. Something that odds say I won’t do again. Either way, I don’t completely disagree with what they’re doing, but I think there could be some better ways to go about it (but the devil’s in the details).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As we all know, any time a hunt is a draw only it means there just isn't enough game for everyone to hunt. In those scenarios, residents who live in that state should have a clear and substantial priority to the available tags. We all choose where we live and we all can move if we want to gain the resident priority other states have. Things were bound to go this direction after United States Outfitters sued Arizona for more nonres tags. Which resulted in the Harry Reid bi-partisan legislation that passed giving states the rights to limit nonresident hunters however they saw fit.

I know AK is more expensive to hunt, but we have very generous OTC opportunities for nonresidents for deer, caribou, and moose. Come on up! However, I'd sure like to see all Alaska draw tags for all species go to 90/10 res/nonres split.

Pro953

WKR
Buzz thanks for some clarification. I did recall that the 7250 was a fixed number so I was wondering how they were going to make this work. The shift from LQ to General makes sense.

I appreciate that costs are going up across the board, but it is a shame some of these tags are getting so expensive. My family does well but I am looking in the range of 3500 + in just tag and app fees for the states I look at this year. Still cheap compared to many hobbies but not a poor mans game anymore for sure!

Not trying to sprout conspiracy theories but curious if both this and the “guide” licenses were to pass would the 90/10 impact the number of NR guided clients? Seems this would make it so the NR self guided hunter sticks to the general tags but of you want to hunt a LQ unit you need to sign up with a guide. I understand that is a gross simplification just wondering if that is how it would play out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CO doesnt give NR even close to 20% of their moose permits or 25% of their sheep tags, or 25% of their bison tags, or 25% of their goat tags. I also don't believe over 50% of their pronghorn tags go to NR hunters either.

Context matters.
I bet we do we have otc pronghorn hunts still. Sheep, moose, and goat are an 90/10 split. Elk and deer some units non residents get close to 40% of the tags.

Last edited: