Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

I’m there with you, I’d like to get 1 or 2 thousand at some point, just not sure WY is a friendly place to invest or if it really would be worth it.
If you have the money to comfortably buy this much land in WY that has deer and elk opportunity, you should be hunting NM every year, and should probably be buying every ticket in a WY commissioners tag drawing to get the best WY tag...switch between deer and elk each year...am I wrong??? I think 1,000 acres with deer and elk would be $2million but that is a guess (I’m nowhere near that market)..

if you have $2million for land, you’re prob worth double of triple that and $30k for a commissioners tag is pittance

tdhanses

WKR
If you have the money to comfortably buy this much land in WY that has deer and elk opportunity, you should be hunting NM every year, and should probably be buying every ticket in a WY commissioners tag drawing to get the best WY tag...switch between deer and elk each year...am I wrong??? I think 1,000 acres with deer and elk would be $2million but that is a guess (I’m nowhere near that market)..

if you have $2million for land, you’re prob worth double of triple that and $30k for a commissioners tag is pittance
Anything the family has has cattle on it. It’s an investment to be used by all in the family.

Last edited:
I like it! I lived in Wyoming back in the late ‘80’s and loved every bit of it, and if I didn’t live in AK, I’d be there. I have absolutely no problem with allowing the vast majority of tags to go to the residents and charge non-residents a hefty price. My biggest problem with Alaska is that we don’t do this, but instead, we require that non-residents pay huge sums of money to the guiding industry, to hunt certain species, and non-residents are not limited much, if at all, to the resources. GOOD FOR YOU WYOMING! I wish more states would go in that direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just depends on what part of the state your looking at, how productive it is and what is the tourist factor.
Ok, seems like a general answer on cost is not in the cards. Wish you the best (with sincerity) and hope it works out. If you have millions, just call the organizations raffling commissioners tags and buy one every year. 1 percent of your worth at 3 million...

I believe 40 acre parcels that have some transient antelope, no water, prob no deer, definitely no elk are 1k an acre...

tdhanses

WKR
Ok, seems like a general answer on cost is not in the cards. Wish you the best (with sincerity) and hope it works out. If you have millions, just call the organizations raffling commissioners tags and buy one every year. 1 percent of your worth at 3 million...

I believe 40 acre parcels that have some transient antelope, no water, prob no deer, definitely no elk are 1k an acre...
Wish you the best as well but all you’ll get is a general answer, land has a vastly different price in different areas , same in every state. If your really interested just go to landwatch and you’ll see the costs.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing

Coming from a lineage of German immigrant farmers, I‘ve learned that hard work on your own property is one of the greatest joys of the day, so I appreciate owning land. We can lease it to run cattle to gain some income. Land will appreciate especially as more people move out of cities. The bonus of having guaranteed NR landowner tags every year is the cherry on top.

Last edited:

Traveler

WKR
How much does 800 to 1000 acres cost?

Coming from a lineage of German immigrant farmers, I‘ve learned that hard work on your own property is one of the greatest joys of the day, so I appreciate owning land. We can lease it to run cattle to gain some income. Land will appreciate especially as more people move out of cities. The bonus of having guaranteed NR landowner tags every year is the cherry on top.
I agree completely, but I believe all of my previous comments are still relevant. Land with deer and elk opportunity is very expensive. In addition to that, once you meet the acreage for LO tag, G&F need to sign-off that said species reside on property x number of days.

Thanks, $2500 to $3200 per acre. Coincidentally, I think these areas are both general deer and general elk, haha! Maybe not the Black Hills one for elk... Still helps if you maintain NR i guess.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
Thanks, $2500 to $3200 per acre. Coincidentally, I think these areas are both general deer and general elk, haha! Maybe not the Black Hills one for elk... Still helps if you maintain NR i guess.
You can pay a lot more or a lot less than that depending on location and what is on the land.

Laramie

WKR
You can pay a lot more or a lot less than that depending on location and what is on the land.
For example, here is a ranch for $241 per acre.

True, but the assumption that elk and deer opportunity is there puts you in this range or a lot more.

NO elk opportunity on that land for $4million, and price per deeded acre is closer to $900.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
True, but the assumption that elk and deer opportunity is there puts you in this range or a lot more.

NO elk opportunity on that land for $4million, and price per deeded acre is closer to $900.
Not true at all. Your proximity to desirable destinations is a huge factor and property size really influences price. I have seen as cheap as $165 an acre for prime elk/deer habitat but you have to buy a lot of acres to get that. If a guy had the means to buy one of the huge places and then subdivide some of it, you could likely own half the land for next to nothing.

tdhanses

WKR
Here you go.

Or maybe this is more your style?

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I agree completely, but I believe all of my previous comments are still relevant. Land with deer and elk opportunity is very expensive. In addition to that, once you meet the acreage for LO tag, G&F need to sign-off that said species reside on property x number of days.

“Expensive“ has different meaning to different people. Would rather buy land and manage it for wildlife and hunting than to have anti-hunters buy it and shut off that opportunity.

Laramie

WKR
“Expensive“ has different meaning to different people. Would rather buy land and manage it for wildlife and hunting than to have anti-hunters buy it and shut off that opportunity.
You would be hard pressed to find land anywhere on the planet for as cheap as some Wyoming land is... Under $200 an acre. It is not expensive until you try to buy just a small piece and then it still doesn't compare to farm ground in most instances. The problem with Wyoming land is it struggles to produce income in most cases.