Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

Okay Wyoming NR hunters, watch the time it takes you to draw do
Its about a lot more than well the other guys do it.

In 1978, Wyoming was issuing over 2,000 moose licenses, and over 400 sheep licenses.

Last year, less than 400 moose and less than 200 sheep permits.

Resident license quota's need to be adjusted to compensate for that kind of loss of opportunity. What really should happen is for Wyoming to stop issuing sheep and moose tags at all to NR's, sort of like North Dakota does with their moose licenses. But, I'm willing to allow a 90-10 split so that NR's still have some opportunity at those tags.

As for deer, elk, and pronghorn....all it will do is SHIFT where NR's draw, they'll still be getting all the region wide deer allocations, over 50% of the pronghorn tags, and still get 7,250 full price elk licenses.

It's not a loss of opportunity, just where that opportunity is shifted.
That word “opportunity” is a four letter word coming from a Game department.
They are always taking away “quality” and offering “opportunity”.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
While capitalism and a free market economy are good things, for the individual supplier and demander, it is often confused with those demanding are willing to pay any price to the ones supplying at any price.

There are going to be hundreds (if not thousands) forced to sit on the sidelines while they watch other players compete more often in the game they once played. So, no, the demanders are not willing to pay any price. A few are not all.
The demand curve is never flat. There are always some willing to pay more.

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
If this is true and passes, it’s fantastic news. Why should Wyoming be the most liberal state out there for percentage of NR tags? This would put them in line with several other western states.
Exactly, and alot of folks act like this is something new🤷🤷🤷🤷

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
It is a shame that the only thing that considered is the $. I personally can remember a time when a NR could purchase a AZ strip archery tag (13 a and b)every year for 225.25 great times. Had some success never any monster bucks. Any more for an average income family it becomes very difficult to afford ay thing.

Good luck all. GET TWO JOBS IF YOU WANT TO HUNT out of state!!!!
If you read the bill you will have a better understanding of what this brings for revenue to the gf, which in turn supports more conservation. And this is a bad thing how?

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a big change. Why wouldn’t they just limit the number of apps that NR’s can put in for in Wy? Limit it to one species a year. Hard to calculate what the impact would be but safe to say it would reduce some NR applications, increase opportunity for residents and keep everyone satisfied. Would probably accelerate point creep further but it’s not like that’s a new problem.
And this would increase funding for the gf and conservation how? Asking for a friend

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
The land is federal, the wildlife (at least big game) belongs to the state. The two need to be bifurcated.

You can go camp on and recreate on the land as much as anyone else, but hunting, fishing, trapping is a state decision. Besides migratory birds, of course.
No camping on state land

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just caught this from an anonymous source (as in I don't know who sent it to me, but it checks out legit). Robert Hanneman from Huntin' Fool also verified this information.

Wyoming is proposing to slash NR tags. This is what I received:

Here's the info:

SF0103 "Resident and nonresident hunting license issuance and fees," was filed last week and will be assigned to the Senate Travel, Recreation and Wildlife (TRW) Committee, tomorrow. The bill will need to make it out of the committee to be considered on the floor.

HERE is a link to the Bill.

The bill has two major changes:
  1. It changes Wyoming's current limited quota tag allocation for all big game species (elk, deer, antelope, moose, sheep, goat, bison) to 90% resident hunters, and 10% nonresident hunters (90/10).
  2. It increases prices for nonresident limited quota big game tags. For years, Wyoming's nonresident tags have been significantly underpriced compared to other states and this bill brings these prices up to market levels. These price increases result in $8 million/year of new revenue to the WY G&F Department.

Getting tough to be a NR hunter. Not sure what voice we have with Wyoming, but wanted to make sure you all knew this was being proposed. Debate like gentleman please so that this thread can stay up!
If they're going to shift NR tags and raise prices.... they can open up wilderness areas to hunters just like they do for hippies.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
I know it does...ever priced a wildlife over-pass on an Interstate highway?

Ever looked into the price per hour of helicopter time to classify big-game?

Ever looked at what a wardens vehicle costs?

Ever looked at what a GPS tracking collar costs?

Do I need to go on, or do you get the point?

That’s human involvement. Wildlife reproduction costs haven’t changed ever.

Fatcamp

WKR

In 1978, Wyoming was issuing over 2,000 moose licenses, and over 400 sheep licenses.

Resident license quota's need to be adjusted to compensate for that kind of loss of opportunity. What really should happen is for Wyoming to stop issuing sheep and moose tags at all to NR's, sort of like North Dakota does with their moose licenses. But, I'm willing to allow a 90-10 split so that NR's still have some opportunity at those tags.

As for deer, elk, and pronghorn....all it will do is SHIFT where NR's draw, they'll still be getting all the region wide deer allocations, over 50% of the pronghorn tags, and still get 7,250 full price elk licenses.

That's bull and you know it. Taking LQ tags and telling me I can have a general is a loss of opportunity.

blackdawg

WKR
NR hunting is not becoming a rich mans sport...its stayed relatively static in price for the 42 years I've been hunting...give or take.

What's going on right now is johnnie come lately type NR hunters just have short memories or weren't hunting out of state 3-4 decades ago.

Just for the hell of it, I went and looked up some statistics from Montana as an example of what a NR deer/elk combo was selling for in the year I started hunting, 1979.

NR cost was $226 dollars, average United State househould median income in 1979 was $16,530. So $226/$16530 would equal around 1.4% of the mean income for a NR MT combo.

Median average household income in 2020, is $68,703 current price for a MT NR deer/elk combo is $1052...so $1052/$68,703 would equal about 1.5% of the mean income for a NR MT combo license.

Has it went up in price? Yes, .014 to .015 of mean annual income or an increase of .001 or 1/10th of 1 percent of mean annual income since 1979.

The only way you can logically say its "becoming a rich man's sport" is if you agree that it has been for over 4 decades...otherwise its about the same its always been price wise.

You forgot the 3 application fees trying to get a random tag and the 2% cc charge plus the 3 preference points that us suckers are ponying up nowadays , plus the high priced archery license on top of that if you want to hunt general areas before every Cowboy shows up on his SxS. Hell, they should toss the DIY guy a bone since our numbers will be taken care of and not force us to support Outfitter Wilderness Welfare if we prefer an experience with less sound effects at daybreak when the gangs fire em up across the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR

Buzz there would be a revenue loss issue to contend with if you dropped the big 3 entirely for NR hunters. I haven't seen the split between elk, deer and the big 3 in a while, but it is not insignificant.

You have to keep a little bait on the hook, IMO, to preserve funding. Hunters are the only ones that care enough to fund the wildlife.

Nearly 40% of the state fish and game funding comes from non-res according to the last report I looked at.

Jeremy

blackdawg

WKR
I don't intend to be so negative, but the reality is barring a miracle, hunting is likely going to die with our generation: just look at the rising costs, declining opportunities, and liberal agendas against both hunting and guns and ammunition.

100% agree! This all out onslaught against the blue collar hunter is crazy, the natives are pounding the drums everywhere!
Seems like the Cancel Culture is out to cancel the average joe diy non resident hunter with a vengeance in North America in 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlh42581

WKR
Every state should be limited NR draws. I think they should do away with preference points though and make it pure lottery style.

I see how the license price increase makes sense and the 90/10 split in keeping with other western states but that taken in addition to the ban on all DIY non-residents from wilderness seems a bit greedy. Understand that the wilderness ban helped outfitters but in the end they needed some semblance of resident support for it and creating a sanctuary for residents from the horde of awful DIY non-residents was just the hook they needed.