Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

Rob5589

WKR
600 for antelope?? Are guys really willing to pay 600 to go year after year? That is even more than AZ, and double or nearly double that of NM, CO, NV, ID.

Reactions: lif

Laramie

WKR
600 for antelope?? Are guys really willing to pay 600 to go year after year? That is even more than AZ, and double or nearly double that of NM, CO, NV, ID.
Absolutely they will. Some of the old school guys will drop out and decide it's too much- I fit in that group. However there are plenty of others willing to take their place- guaranteed.

The sad thing about all these price hikes, is that with all this money, and straight up profits they make, none, and I mean none of it goes towards any meaningful way of protecting hunting rights. It's like the gold rush of times gone by. These DOWs and F&G departments are on borrowed time, get it while you can because it's been proven hunting is on the brink of getting voted out of existence. You can take that to the bank.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
As a non resident, I cant really blame residents for wanting it 90/10 and I do feel residents should be able to get tags each year. I do hate to see the price increase though. I have never been antelope hunting, building points currently but if it goes to 600 I will be one and done when I spend my points on antelope.

Dangerous: Never price Joe Average out of hunting. Price the weekend warrior out of hunting and you lose hunting's largest body of defenders and consumers. Name a brand/product that won a market by alienating its largest mass of buyers?

A few (loaded) WY questions:

Who owns the public land in WY?

Who owns the game in WY?

Who manages the game in WY?

Rich M

WKR
This stuff does come up every year and gets shot down. Nothing like a good doom & gloom discussion.

Since we're here: $600 for an antelope? LOL! Since I already have points, I will see this one thru. That'll be it, absolutely it - done. Was gonna do another one but not if the fees go up too much and it seems like it is gonna happen before then so will save the point fees and call it done.

This may reduce the demand - The folks with lotsa points will see it thru, the ones with no points aren't gonna go every year.

Dangerous: Never price Joe Average out of hunting. Price the weekend warrior out of hunting and you lose hunting's largest body of defenders and consumers. Name a brand/product that won a market by alienating its largest mass of buyers?

A few (loaded) WY questions:

Who owns the public land in WY? WY

Who owns the game in WY? WY

Who manages the game in WY? WY

Those loaded questions are now unloaded. We don't own squat and don't have any say in the management or use of said lands or animals.

There are only a few things that will increase opportunity. Baby boomers start dying off in mass taking them out of the points pool. Hunting popularity in the west drops exponentially. Animal populations explode necessitating a huge increase in tags. Only one of those has a realistic shot of happening. You will see the effect of that over the next 10 years.
Sorry boomers.....You got to go! You’ve had your time, hope you’ve enjoyed it. Now hurry up and get on out of here.

This stuff does come up every year and gets shot down. Nothing like a good doom & gloom discussion.

Since we're here: $600 for an antelope? LOL! Since I already have points, I will see this one thru. That'll be it, absolutely it - done. Was gonna do another one but not if the fees go up too much and it seems like it is gonna happen before then so will save the point fees and call it done.

This may reduce the demand - The folks with lotsa points will see it thru, the ones with no points aren't gonna go every year.

Those loaded questions are now unloaded. We don't own squat and don't have any say in the management or use of said lands or animals.
I'm hoping there are plenty of people with this point of view. May lower draw odds for a non-resident in certain units. I love antelope meat and hunting them.

In my home state of Nevada there is a three year wait after a buck antelope tag (which I'm currently in) and a horns shorter than ears tag usually takes a few years to draw consistently. I'll gladly budget $600, which is less than what I paid for a special draw tag in Wyoming last year, for a mid-tier unit every 2-4 years.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I'm hoping there are plenty of people with this point of view. May lower draw odds for a non-resident in certain units. I love antelope meat and hunting them.

In my home state of Nevada there is a three year wait after a buck antelope tag (which I'm currently in) and a horns shorter than ears tag usually takes a few years to draw consistently. I'll gladly pay $600, which is less than what I paid for a special draw tag in Wyoming last year, for a mid-tier unit every 2-4 years.

And I hope you get those permits.

I'm just going to start thinking of how to make coyote tasty.

We plan to move to WY from UT in 5 years, and by then it will be just as crowded as Utah.

My wife tells me I'm a pessimist

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04