Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

Who's going to buy tags for the shity units your to good for?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I'm assuming people who want to hunt antelope every year and can afford to do so.

It's not that I'm too good for the "shity" units, but I love hunting elk, bears, and waterfowl every year and they will take a priority over an annual pronghorn tag.

Every state should be limited NR draws. I think they should do away with preference points though and make it pure lottery style.

Sure fire way to decrease NR funding. I’m not throwing my name in 20-some hats a year with no idea how many tags I’ll draw.

jlh42581

WKR
Sure fire way to decrease NR funding. I’m not throwing my name in 20-some hats a year with no idea how many tags I’ll draw.

The states are going to have to find a new way to fill the bill anyhow, hunting aint cutting the cheese anymore. Too much land that needs too much management with too little money. Its the reason backpack taxes and trail passes are being discussed. Our days of keeping all this land are over. We are gonna die out here in 40 years. Not many kids hunt anymore, those who do are so tired of going without filling tags even they are tiring of it.

Guess what Im not going to do, im not going to spend 25 years applying for a tag to max out points and be 65 before I have a chance to draw it. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Laramie

WKR
That's the idea... demand has so far exceeded supply that something needs to happen. I would be in favor of a random system that also used preference points. For every point you have, your name is in the hat an additional time. That's really the only way to sustain this thing imo. The PP game has a time limit before it becomes ineffective at drawing in the masses because there aren't enough tags to keep people cycling through.

jmez

WKR
Preference point game is already there. Almost 38,000 NR in WY with 1 elk preference point going into the 2021 draw. If you buy a point this year you are starting out #38,000 in line.

pirogue

WKR
So Sy Gilliland, of WOGA, sends us an email today of how this proposal will “hurt our(NR) future chance of hunting WY”, and to get in touch of those legislators. He says nothing related to the state holding our NR elk tag fee for 4+ months. Easy to see he’s just worried about his pocketbook, and not that of the NR applicants

wapitibob

WKR
Preference point game is already there. Almost 38,000 NR in WY with 1 elk preference point going into the 2021 draw. If you buy a point this year you are starting out #38,000 in line.
Technically yes, but not in practice. Less than half of point holders actually apply for a hunt in Wyoming.

CorbLand

WKR
That's the idea... demand has so far exceeded supply that something needs to happen. I would be in favor of a random system that also used preference points. For every point you have, your name is in the hat an additional time. That's really the only way to sustain this thing imo. The PP game has a time limit before it becomes ineffective at drawing in the masses because there aren't enough tags to keep people cycling through.
That is called a bonus point system. Some states do this already.

Last edited:

pirogue

WKR
You mean a Bonus point system, like AZ and some others

CorbLand

WKR
Before long it’ll be cheaper to hunt Africa.
I know a couple guys that do this. Its not necessarily cheaper but when you add in the success rates, it wins for them.

I have no desire to hunt Africa but if your goal is to kill things, it does win in the cost/benefit analysis.

satchamo

WKR
This grinds my gears. I went to WY on a general tag last year and had a fantastic hunt. In elk daily. Meanwhile every single resident I talked to acted like the hunting was awful and there were no elk left. I told everyone of them to go to Colorado on an otc tag and they would realize how good they have it....

Residents pay out the ass into these states tag systems every year and yet were bent over the coals time and time again.

I know this is preaching to the choir but I’m starting to believe my kids will never see the elk mountains the way the landscape is changing

mlgc20

WKR
So Sy Gilliland, of WOGA, sends us an email today of how this proposal will “hurt our(NR) future chance of hunting WY”, and to get in touch of those legislators. He says nothing related to the state holding our NR elk tag fee for 4+ months. Easy to see he’s just worried about his pocketbook, and not that of the NR applicants
WOGA's way of looking out for the NR hunter is lobbying for the Wyoming wilderness law. I can live with every other thing these states do in terms of draw/lottery/preference point/tag cost etc. But, the Wyoming wilderness thing just chaps me. I've spent a lot of time hiking the wilderness areas in Wyoming without a babysitter. And it always bothers me that I can't also hunt there without one. First world problems I know. But, WOGA can pound sand.

Fatcamp

WKR
That is called a bonus point system. Some states do this already.

Yup. That's what South Dakota has done for a long time. Well, eventually the older hunters who had the ear of SDGFP whined loudly enough to get them to cube the system pretty much wrecking the odds of anyone entering the elk draw for decades to come. I think we are three years post cubing now. Oh, well. We will burn our points on cows and move to Wyoming.

I'm surprised nobody has talked trespass fees or the harvest coupons that benefit the ranches. Both the deer and the antelope ranches I have hunted expressed that the trespass fees were a significant paycheck they lived on. Does anybody have trespass revenue figures?