Wyoming proposal to slash Non-resident hunters

Bobbyboe

WKR
As a Wyoming resident, I’d be happy to pay triple the current resident tag prices for a 90/10 split. You keep talking about businesses and families losing revenue, that’s fear mongering at best. The state is not going to lose any revenue, for those that chose to bow out and spend their money in another state 5x as many people are waiting in line for a tag. When was the last time Wyoming had leftover NR tags for anything besides doe/fawn antelope? I’ll wait....
There will with 600 antelope tags. No way I’d pay 600 for 0 to 3 pt units. I’m sitting on 10pts and have bought 2nd choice and leftover tags, not anymore. There’s a good chance once I burn my 10pts I won’t apply for antelope ever again.

If you think people will pay 600 for leftover antelope, your nuts.

On top of that, residents pay no state income tax, all while trying to literally boil the earth with all their fossil fuel extraction. It's time for the gravy train to end. No more fossil fuel extraction on my federal public lands. Contacting my rep and Senators right now.

tdhanses

WKR
On top of that, residents pay no state income tax, all while trying to literally boil the earth with all their fossil fuel extraction. It's time for the gravy train to end. No more fossil fuel extraction on my federal public lands. Contacting my rep and Senators right now.
It really is time residents in all states step up and pay more, states like WY have more cattle then people and no way have they funded a significant portion of taxes collected on firearms etc yet they sure have enjoyed over $240 million in grants from it.

We may not have influence in WY but we do have influence on federal funding and use of federal lands that would be a significant impact to a state like WY if drastically reduced.

Trial153

WKR
Maybe the non hunting citizens in these states need to better understand that amount money they loose and that it costs them to manage wildlife because of the welfare resident hunters receive.

When 10% of tags and licenses sales funds 70% of the budget....the other 90% of sales amounts to welfare for hunters.

If you don’t support the use of fossil fuels please lead by example and eliminate everything in your life that is made from fossil fuels. If you currently drive a vehicle w tires on it or utilize anything plastic, You are a hypocrite. Oil and gas companies are hands down the largest donors to wildlife conservation in the state.

tdhanses

WKR
If you don’t support the use of fossil fuels please lead by example and eliminate everything in your life that is made from fossil fuels. If you currently drive a vehicle w tires on it or utilize anything plastic, You are a hypocrite. Oil and gas companies are hands down the largest donors to wildlife conservation in the state.
Oh we support the use of fossil fuels just not when extracted on federal public lands, they should remain untouched.

Do oil and gas even remotely compare to funds from federal grants and NR tags for conservation? Maybe we should tax oil, gas and coal companies 80% for extraction on federal lands, I’d much prefer oil pumped in from Canada.

Also the amount of NR taxes that fund BLM/Federal Land ?
Wyoming is a welfare state. They don't even pay their own way. Wyoming is the least populated state. So the other 49 states citizens are subsidizing the federal land that the state of Wyoming runs their animals on.

I always get a kick out of it when they say they are "our animals, but you are more than welcome to camp on your land." Well its time the owners of the animals pay up. They are running their animals on everyone's land for free. I bet the residents of Wyoming that own the wildlife pay less than 1% of the taxes going to manage the federal land in Wyoming. But they sure are quick to tell everyone how they are their animals. I would personally feel like a pos if someone else paid for everything for me.

Another good point I saw posted earlier about public land transfers. Why would I care if the land was transferred to the states, or the tribes like the new IS wants?

Also conservation. Why would I send money to any of the conservation orgs that put most of their money towards the western states wildlife? I'm sure some of it is good work. But if interests change because of lack of hunting opportunities that I enjoy I'll find another interest to put money towards. Its like orgs that try to save fish, reefs, etc. I am sure they do good work right now. But I don't support them because that isn't what I am interested in. I only have so much extra money.

Regards, Branden

PS, when I am a Wyoming resident I'll probably type like most of the Wyoming residents on here type. I'll be selfish and entitled even though I didn't earn it or pay for it. I'll just be honest about it. It'll go something like, "Man I love the fact I don't actually have to pay for the wildlife the state of WY holds in trust for me and every other resident of Wyoming. Thanks to all you non res in the other 49 states that subsidize our animals. We definitely could not do it without you!"

Oh we support the use of fossil fuels just not when extracted on federal public lands, they should remain untouched.

Do oil and gas even remotely compare to funds from federal grants and NR tags for conservation? Maybe we should tax oil, gas and coal companies 80% for extraction on federal lands, I’d much prefer oil pumped in from Canada.
Ah I get it now. So what you’re saying is you’d like to continue to ultilize the 95% of your possessions that are made from fossil fuels but you’d like to do it without any drilling on Federal land. Ok, so you’re good with investing in foreign countries that have way less regulations and pollute the environment more than US operations. You’d like to contribute to their economy but are opposed to job creation and boosting your own country’s economy. Fact is, there is not enough private land in this great country of ours to grant you your wish and still meet the demand.

Have you contacted all the other states in which you hunt and asked them to further limit NR tags? If not you're a hypocrite dude.

Have you contacted all the other states in which you hunt and asked them to further limit NR tags? If not you're a hypocrite dude.
Um no, because the majority of other states have already put in place similar cuts than the proposal Wyoming is trying to do. Please tell me another state that gives 25% sheep, moose, goat, or bison tags to the non residents.

Um no, because the majority of other states have already put in place similar cuts than the proposal Wyoming is trying to do. Please tell me another state that gives 25% sheep, moose, goat, or bison tags to the non residents.

Those states let you hunt the wilderness though. I guess you've contacted them asking them to limit your wilderness access?

As a Wyoming resident, I’d be happy to pay triple the current resident tag prices for a 90/10 split. You keep talking about businesses and families losing revenue, that’s fear mongering at best. The state is not going to lose any revenue, for those that chose to bow out and spend their money in another state 5x as many people are waiting in line for a tag. When was the last time Wyoming had leftover NR tags for anything besides doe/fawn antelope? I’ll wait....
I'd have to agree with you that there are many people waiting in line for a tag. What I don't think we can quantify is the number of NRs that DIY hunt vs the number of NRs that use an outfitter. I'm not sure that the stats are listed anywhere, but I'd be interested in seeing them if they do exist. I'd have to assume that the folks that are paying for an outfitter won't bow out at the increased tag rates. But it does hurt the NR that prefers to actually "hunt". By hunt, I mean travel for scouting trips and then travel for the actual hunt.

With that being said, I can see how this positively favors the landowners and the guides who lease the landowner property. I can also see how this negatively impacts local businesses (restaurants, sporting goods stores, etc).

At the end of the day, it is what it is. I can see that folks who are really passionate about hunting the animals that WY and other states have, will eventually relocate to these states. I for one, am one of the folks that are planning on doing this. Will many others do the same? Probably so. I don't see natives of WY or similar states being happy about my plans or the others that have the same plans. Maybe some of the reasons for this 90/10 ratio is because it's trying to address this as well.

tdhanses

WKR
Ah I get it now. So what you’re saying is you’d like to continue to ultilize the 95% of your possessions that are made from fossil fuels but you’d like to do it without any drilling on Federal land. Ok, so you’re good with investing in foreign countries that have way less regulations and pollute the environment more than US operations. You’d like to contribute to their economy but are opposed to job creation and boosting your own country’s economy. Fact is, there is not enough private land in this great country of ours to grant you your wish and still meet the demand.
I’m pro oil, just not on federal lands, pretty simple as that, I get it you would personally be affected by it where I’d just pay a little more for gas and everyday items, still be less then the tag costs in WY.

I‘m ok with purchasing from foreign countries, yes, heck we are the largest exporter of oil currently so think we could cut back pretty easily before we fully have to rely on them. Also 95% of my possessions were more then likely imported in and not produced by WY oil.

As Biden says, time for oil and gas guys to learn a new trade, lets support our president.

Last edited:
I’m pro oil, just not on federal lands, pretty simple as that, I get it you would personally be affected by it where I’d just pay a little more for gas and everyday items, still be less then the tag costs in WY.
So better to get it from foreign countries than federal land? Support foreign economies but not your own. Yes I get it, it’s as simple as that.

tdhanses

WKR
So better to get it from foreign countries than federal land? Support foreign economies but not your own. Yes I get it, it’s as simple as that.
Not a big oil and gas influence where I live, so my local economy would be fine as would the overall economy. Plus if we removed oil and gas from federal lands we would see a bigger push in solar and wind.

But hey, you would still be able to hunt right.